Hi, I'm messaging you to ask you for help regarding Old Man Logan's article. Since the release of Dead Man Logan #12, more than a couple of users have been eager to update the page, but have done so very poorly. Since you're our local Wolverine expert and I can trust you'd put up a good written work, I wanted to ask if it's possible for you to help update his article.
First of all, I want to commend your work on Wolverine's history text. I am messaging you to propose a rearrangement of the information in Wolverine's page after noticing that due to your contributions, his article has become the site's longest page (which is crazy, in a good way).
Because of this I wanted to propose you the creation an expanded history subarticle for Wolverine's page. However, this would also entail another part which is a bit more tedious. If you agree with moving all the information from Wolverine's history section to its own subarticle, you would be tasked with writing an abridged version in its place in the main article. This new abridged version would have to be written in broad strokes and spare details, only focusing on the biggest milestones of Wolverine's life.
Thanks for your message :) I agree, doing an abridged version could be a good idea, I remember there was some talk about doing one some time ago on the "Talk: James Howlett (Earth-616)" page but choosing what's essential and what's not essential could be tricky though.
Maybe something like that could work:
- Early years: Quick recap of Origin, a mention of Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine mini (the dog stuff) and Origin II
- The Death of Silver Fox: Focusing only on the original story, keeping the whole Romulus retcons in the expanded version only
- Immortal Warrior: Quick recap of Logan fighting in several wars, being a samurai, an assassin, a mercenary, etc... Meeting several of his future foes and key marvel characters, teaming up with Captain America and Black Widow in Madripoor (Uncanny X-Men #268) and joining Team X.
- Logan's women and the mongrels: Mention of the Red Right Hand, Daken and the Mongrels
- The Weapon X Experiment: Quick recap of the Weapon X story arc by Barry Windsor Smith only
- Facing the Hulk and joining the X-Men: Hudson finding Wolverine, Logan facing Hulk, joining the X-Men and just like previously focusing on the original stories and keeping all the Romulus retcons in the expanded version only
- Meeting and falling in love with Mariko: Meeting Mariko, facing Shingen and the failed wedding
- Meeting Amiko, training shadowcat and facing Ogun: Mostly the second mini
- Lady Deathstrike and Sabretooth: Wounded Wolf and Mutant Massacre
- Wolverine vs Spider-Man: This one is optional, just keeping the same recap
- Patch and Jubilee: Mostly "Save the Tiger", the start of the ongoing, Uncanny X-Men #251 and #268
- Omega Red and the memory implants: X-Men Vol 2 #4-7 and the whole memory stuff from Wolverine 48-50 and 61-64. Quick mention of the "Silver Fox" resurrection.
- Losing the Adamantium and going feral: Fatal Attraction, Wolverine #90 and the feral stuff
- Horseman of Apocalypse: Logan getting his adamantium back
- Logan Files: Return of Weapon X, Logan meeting Rose in the afterlife and the whole weapon Plus stuff from New X-Men
- Meeting X-23: Just the same recap
- Enemy of the State: Quick recap of the saga
- Joining the Avengers and regaining his memories: New Avengers, House of M, leading X-Force, meeting Daken and the quest for revenge against Romulus
- Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine: This one is also optional
- Red Right Hand and Mongrels: Quick recap of Wolverine goes to hell/versus the X-Men/revenge
- Schism and the Jean Grey School: Quick recap of Schism and the whole new status quo with Wolverine & the X-Men
- Uncanny X-Force: Mostly a quick recap of the Dark Angel Saga and Final Execution
- AVX and the Uncanny Avengers: Optional, not sure if it's necessary to keep it in the abridged version maybe a quick mention of Xavier's death
- Death and Return: Quick recap of Logan losing his healing factor, dying, coming back from the dead and joining the X-Men once again
- House of X: Keeping the same recap
The problem with the abridged version comes from all the retcons added to some of those classic stories in recent years and most especially the whole Romulus plotline from Origins/Evolution/Sabretooth Reborn back in 2006-2012 which made Logan's backstory really convoluted.
Mentioning the retcons added to some of Logan's classic stories in the abridged version could be too confusing without all the informations present in the expanded version so maybe it would be best to just focus on the classic stories for the abridged version.
I like the outline. As for the retcons, I think it's necessary to mention them in some capacity. I know that I can't really argue their prominence since I'm not familiar with Wolverine's history, but if they are an important part of it, they should be in the article.
Okay it's done. I kept some of the recap intact and rewrote some stuff for the abridged version. I just created a new expanded history page and moved the content of the original page here.
I don't know how to link the two pages though, on some expanded history pages you can see a link to the abridged version of the top left corner but I don't know how to include it on the Wolverine expanded history page.
Sorry I didn't reply. I was tangled up with college work. Both pages look awesome. As for the linking, I noticed now that both pages link to each other, I'm not sure whether you did it or another user.
2) Once the image is uploaded, please don't forget licensing.
If you uploaded it through the Special:Upload function, make use of the "Licensing (Required)" dropdown feature before clicking "Upload File," and choose the apropriate type of licensing. "A single panel of a character," "A regular comic book cover" and "Movie screenshot" are some of the most common options.
If you uploaded it through the "Add a photo to this gallery" function on the bottom of galleries, or you didn't select any licensing option in the dropdown feature of Special:Upload, you'll have to add the licensing manually. Go to the uploaded image and click "Edit," you'll see two rows of buttons to insert templates or format functions. Click on the button that has a single polaroid photograph on it (found in the bottom row), and the template will be added. Be sure to fill in the "License" field with the respective license. Most common licenses are "Comic Single Panel," "Comic Cover," "TV Screenshot" and "Movie Screenshot." If the licensing you added is not valid, the image will still appear as unlicensed.
3) Whether the image template with licensing has been added automatically or has been inserted manually on the image, please be sure to fill in the respective fields there are, including "Source," "Universe," "Subject#," etc. to help sort it out.