After a desperate attempt to save his own life, Dr. Michael Morbius stalks the night as Morbius the Living Vampire. Suffering of a rare blood disease, Morbius turned to a cure that used vampire bat DNA. It mutated him into a blood-sucking creature of the night, and pseudo-vampire. Initially an adversary of Spider-Man and Blade, Morbius became a vigilante while struggling with his insatiable lust for blood and his subsequent efforts to cure his horrific condition.
- 1 History
- 1.1 Early Life
- 1.2 Meeting Spider-Man
- 1.3 Human Torch
- 1.4 X-Men
- 1.5 Vampire Tales
- 1.6 Fear
- 1.7 Legion of Monsters
- 1.8 Dimension Z
- 1.9 The Empathoid
- 1.10 Temporary Cure
- 1.11 Growing Hunger
- 1.12 Civil War
- 1.13 A.R.M.O.R.
- 1.14 Monster Metropolis
- 1.15 Spider-Island
- 1.16 Brownsville
- 1.17 Absolute Carnage
- 1.18 Worsening his Condition
- 1.19 Spider-Man Beyond
- 2 Powers and Abilities
- 3 Notes
- 4 See Also
- 5 Links and References
Michael Morbius was born and raised in Nafplio, Greece. The son of Makarioa Morbius, Michael was raised by his single mother after his father left them. Michael experienced an isolated childhood due to his rare blood condition. Despite his disease, he was an intellectually gifted and spent his time reading books. Michael had two best friends, Emil Nikos and his sister Liza Nikos. The three of them were as close as family, but complication arose when he professed his feelings to Elizabeth and she rejected him.
While in college, Michael and Emil became brilliant scientists winning a Nobel Prize for their work in biochemistry. They attempted to cure the blood disease and developed an experimental treatment involving vampire bats and electroshocks. Its side effects turned him into a pseudo-vampire who needed to consume blood in order to survive, and gained typical vampire characteristics such as an aversion to sunlight, and the powers of flight, enhanced strength, speed, and healing (a healing factor). His overall appearance changed as well: he gained fangs, his nose flattened to appear more bat-like, and his skin became extremely pale. Additionally, the victims of his bite would turn into living vampires themselves. When he first experienced the change, he killed Emil as he could not control his blood lust. When Liza learned of what happened to her brother she swore revenge against Morbius.
Morbius traveled to the U.S by ship, and in his blood thirst slaughtered the crew. He tried to kill himself but failed and took a room at a beach house where he encountered Spider-Man who was, at the time, trying to reverse the process that had given him six arms. Morbius attacked Spider-Man, but their battle was interrupted by Dr. Connors who transformed into the Lizard.
Morbius escaped, but not before biting Connors (which partially returned him to normal). Spider-Man and Connors realized that Morbius' blood could be a cure for both of them and decided to help each other. They tracked him down and after another battle extracted some of his blood, causing Connors to remain in his human state and Spider-Man to lose his additional arms.
Morbius was washed ashore and found by Jefferson and Jacob Bolt, on whom he tried to feed after being revived (he turned Jefferson into a vampire). Meanwhile, Morbius' fiancé Martine Bancroft tried contacting the Fantastic Four to help Morbius. The Human Torch sought out Morbius' former colleague, Hans Jorgenson, and joined forces with Spider-man during another battle with Morbius. During the fight, Morbius accidentally killed Jefferson Bolt and fled.
When news of Jorgenson's supposed kidnapping by Spider-Man reached Professor X (an old colleague of Jorgenson), he sent the X-Men to track down Spider-Man. When he discovered that Morbius was truly to blame, he sent the mutants to capture him instead. After a lengthy battle, the X-Men managed to defeat Morbius and rescue Jorgenson. Jorgenson was able to cure Spider-Man, who thanked the X-Men before leaving them to deal with Dr. Morbius.
Michael Morbius and Martine Bancroft battled Reverend Daemond and encountered the Caretakers of Arcturus. He visited the Land Within, home of the Cat People. Battling their greatest warrior, Balkatar, Balkatar and Morbius worked together to take down Daemond. He was hunted by Blade the vampire slayer until Blade became aware of his plight, the two cooperate to battle Daemond. Daemond creates Tara, a Psychic vampire. Morbius is able to kill Daemond and Tara. He then encountered Simon Stroud, a CIA agent tasked with hunting him. Together, they battled the Helleyes. Morbius, Martine, and Stroud later battled vampires at Mason Manor.
Legion of Monsters
Morbius joined the team Legion of Monsters, who united by chance to investigate the appearance of the Starseed. Though Starseed was a benevolent entity, both the Werewolf and Morbius, overcome by their monstrous hungers, attacked it. Ghost Rider and Man-Thing attempted to intervene, but Starseed was unable to overcome his fear of Man-Thing and suffered severe burns at his touch. The dying Starseed attempted to cure the Legion of their monstrous forms but was too weak and died. Morbius visited his old scientist friend Ronson Slade in hope for a cure to his disease. Ronson, however had become a werewolf and Morbius was forced to kill him.
The Empathoid who wished to learn how it felt to be a vampire used Morbius to attack Spider-Man, but Morbius resisted. Spider-Man managed to knock out Morbius, causing the Empathoid to leave his body and possess Spider-Man to battle Morbius once more. He lead him into a football stadium where the emotions of all the sports fans overwhelmed the Empathoid, causing it to leave Spider-Man's body and pass out. Spider-Man allowed Morbius to depart unharmed.
Driven mad by his bloodlust, Morbius battled Spider-Man again, but was restored to his human form when he hit by a freak bolt of lightning. He remained human for some years, assisting both Spider-Woman and the West Coast Avengers at various times, but his vampiric condition eventually returned.
After Michael's disease took a new course and his hunger started to come faster than before, he went to the Empire State University looking for Dr. Andrea Janson but was stopped by Spider-Man, though he did managed to bite some blood off of him to calm his hunger before escaping.
Morbius arrived at Dr. Andrea's office in the science building of the Empire State University and explained to her how the feedings satiated his hunger for shorter periods of time. Spider-Man arrived once again and didn't believe Morbius, claiming that he liked being a living vampire, the two fought and Morbius was about to kill the hero but was stopped by Mary Jane Watson who told him that he should show that he was willing to fight the hunger, Andrea claimed that she would help him and brought him a package of blood so that he didn't have to kill which Michael accepted.
In reality Andrea was working for scientist and Hydra agent; Dr. Loxias Crown who kidnapped Morbius to study him. Spider-Man came to his rescue but when he freed Morbius he attacked Crown. As they grappled the island began to explode. In the resulting explosion, Morbius drained his blood. This later lead to him becoming a living vampire like Morbius called Hunger.
Morbius was registered under the SHRA. He was sent by S.H.I.E.L.D. to convince Blade to register. Some time after this, once again suicidal and searching for a way to end his life, he travelled to San Francisco where he took to living in an abandoned church frequented by young drug addicts, while he attempted to go without feeding. One of the addicts, Roxy, who Morbius related to the most, overdosed and was going to die which led her boyfriend to plead with Morbius to turn her.
Roxy had gone too long without breathing when Morbius fed upon her, when she turned the brain-damage the lack of oxygen had caused rendered her feral and only interested in feeding. Morbius watched as she killed two of her companions and only stepped in when the last of them, who had shown him kindness and compassion, was to become Roxy's victim. Morbius killed Roxy by breaking her neck and left Gillie, her victim, alone and terrified of him.
Michael worked with A.R.M.O.R., an organization tasked with keeping an eye on extra-dimensional activity on the planet. As such, when cross-over with a zombie infected universe occurred in Man-Thing's swamp, Command, was dispatched to investigate. However, it was revealed that Morbius had been incapacitated and replaced within the organization by a zombified, extra-dimensional version of himself. How long this had been the case was not clear. A member of A.R.M.O.R came in to check on the zombie Morbius and found the real Morbius but was then bitten by the zombie Morbius (and incited a zombie plague). When Morbius was able to move again, he snuck behind his zombie counterpart and drove a stake through his heart. This turned him into ashes.
After the zombie plague was taken care of, it was discovered that the Zombie Simon Garth and the head of Deadpool's zombie counterpart escaped. Morbius gathered the Midnight Sons to search for Deadpool and Simon Garth and disposed of anything infected with the zombie plague.
Morbius was working on a cure for the zombie virus but was unable to find it, as the virus's genetic code was too complicated to decipher. Morbius found a Planestorm has opened a gateway to alternate realities. Each of them had a different zombie virus, and the only way to decipher his home realities' virus was to compare it with other zombie viruses. Morbius took some equipment from A.R.M.O.R and sent Howard the Duck and Machine Man to the alternate realities to bring him a sample of each virus. Some time later, the director of A.R.M.O.R Charles Little Sky discovered Morbius' plans and the missing A.R.M.O.R tech and put him under arrest.
Morbius along with Werewolf and Man-Thing reformed the Legion of Monsters while adding as new members the Living Mummy and Manphibian. They worked on an underground city located beneath Manhattan called Monster Metropolis where they vowed to protect monsters that were hunted down.
After the Punisher was killed by Daken, the Legion took Frank's body and Morbius resurrected him as a Frankenstein-like creature to help them against the Hunter of Monster Special Force lead by the mysterious Hellsgaard, who killed monsters for "not being of God". Frank was later turned into a human again and left the Legion while Morbius became the leader in Monster Metropolis and tried to institute law with the Legion of Monsters serving as deputies.
Morbius and Manphibian later arrested Dimensional Man for feeding off of sleeping monsters in Monster Metropolis, they captured him with a special machine that blocked his powers. Michael then took the criminal to his lab where he would sent him to a containment cell to serve his sentence before being interrupted by a severe power surge. Elsa Bloodstone appeared in their city while she was chasing a trail of a mysterious monster that killed many people, Morbius realized that someone or something was using a supernatural virus to control monsters and asked Bloodstone for help.
This virus spread throughout Monster Metropolis and, after visit with Dracula, Morbius and Elsa eventually discovered that the virus was actually in Morbius' own blood. In despair Michael thought about destroying the entire city with a bomb until Bloodstone freed the Dimensional Man from his imprisonment, whose leeching powers sucked up the virus and cause him to go mad. Morbius later understood that he was able to control those it affected as he was the origin of the virus, saving Monster Metropolis in the process.
Later, he secretly joined Horizon Labs with the help of his friend Max Modell (who was in charge of the lab). He took the identity of Number Six and, in a hazmat suit to protect his true identity, assisted Mr. Fantastic in preparing the cure to the spider-powers virus. When Peter Parker tried to investigate the identity of "Number Six," he accidentally provoked Morbius, who had been using the cure to try to develop a basis for a cure for his own condition, into a frenzy. Morbius was driven to leave when it was revealed that he had been working with the The Lizard. He had been trying to find a cure for both of their conditions. He used DNA samples from the corpse of Doc Connors' son (Billy) to create a cure that would restore the Lizard to human form, but he failed to recognize that the Lizard had fully destroyed Doc Connors' human persona. They left the Lizard alone in Morbius' lab, allowing the Lizard to release blood into the laboratory's air vents to provoke the injured Morbius into attacking the other scientists. Morbius fleed the laboratory with Spider-Man following. Morbius was captured by Spider-Man and locked up in a cell in the Raft.
When Peter Parker's mind was transferred into Doctor Octopus' dying body, he organized a group of prisoners at the Raft to capture Spider-Man (who now contained Doc Ock's mind). During the break out, Morbius offered his help but was refused; he chose to work with the Lizard instead. The cells turned off and Morbius escaped from the Raft.
Morbius swam all the way to Barretto Point, there he met a man named Justin that he barrowed some clothes from, Justin told Michael that he should go to Brownsville where superheroes are not even heard of. During his first nights on Brownsville Morbius quickly realized that the streets were filled with crime. While digging through the trash for food, Morbius was approached by a young man that tried to steal his wallet earlier and was working for Noah St. Germain, who threatened the living vampire. The two ended up having a fight in the subway, which left Morbius mortally wounded with a gunshot wound in the chest (even after saving St. Germain's life from an oncoming train). Morbius killed Noah and his gang. 
After killing the Godfather of Brownsville, and incited a gang war against The Rose. After the Battle of Brownsville, he escaped to Manhattan, to Horizon Labs, to finally cure his vampirism. Morbius worked with the new superior Spider-Man. Morbius found out The Rose had an Ultimate Nullifier in Brownsville and teamed up with the Legion of Monsters. Morbius killed the Rose.
During Carnage's Rampage with his Cult of Knull, Michael was recruited by Iron Fist along with some other heroes in order to rescue Misty Knight who was stucked in the sewers being chased by Demagoblin and Carnage's Hive. The heroes entered the sewers and looked for Misty Knight, with Morbius fighting off many of Carnage's symbiote minions. After a long time fighting the waves of symbiotes, Morbius pondered on the idea that Misty may have died already but this was quickly shut down when the team found her as she was about to be killed by Demagoblin and the Man-Wolf until they rescued her. Morbius then convinced Man-Wolf to free himself from Carnage's control in order to save Misty Knight from Demagoblin, the heroes were later taken away from the sewers by Cloak. Morbius was later brought back to the fight in order to help turn the tide against Carnage's horde.
Worsening his Condition
In Greenpoint, Brooklyn, Morbius stopped Melter and his henchmen from experimenting on people, brutally beating almost all of them and later deciding to use their stolen resources to create a formula that at first seemed to completely cure his hunger, but it later returned at an accelerated rate as his body deepened into his vampirism. With his affliction made stronger, Michael ate all the blood bag he had in his makeshift lab before looking into his microscope how his cells have mutated and started to consume him. After his discovery, Morbius was attacked in his hideout by Melter and a mysterious woman, as he fought against the two and was brutally beaten, Morbius also fought his desire to consume their blood. He eventually realized that the mysterious woman was Elizabeth Nikos, sister of his best friend Emil Nikos, who was out for revenge against the living vampire for the death of his brother. As Michael's rage grew, Elizabeth created a huge explosion severely weakened Morbius but also allowed him to escape. He later broke into a facility to work on a cure but was stopped by Spider-Man. After a brief fight with the hero, Morbius managed to get some blood off of Spider-Man in order to control himself and explained to the hero his new condition. The two then went to Curtis Connors' Summer House in Long Island so they could work on a cure for Michael, who asked Spider-Man for some blood so they could reverse the effect of his mutated cells, the cure restored Morbius to his previous condition though he was still unsatisfied as it did not made him human again.
Elizabeth later broke into the house and attacked the two, as Nikos kept forcing his hand, Morbius lost control once again and started to mutate into a less human creature. Michael eventually agreed with her and begged Liza to kill him but she took too long and his final mutation manifested before he could be killed. Morbius attacked Elizabeth but was stopped by Spider-Man who let him get some of his blood so that his changes get temporary reversed. Nikos then revealed to them that Melter took Michael's research and was gonna use it on other humans. The three decided tu have a truce in order to create an antidote for the infected using some of Elizabeth's blood. Morbius and the others went back to the Melter's hideout in Greenpoint in order to stop him, Michael fought a mutated Melter while Spider-Man and Nikos fought other mutated humans. Morbius used the antidote on Melter but it wasn't working as the villain altered the original formula, he then went to the Melter's lab and adjusted the cure to the new formula which proved to be successful, Morbius also used the same base serum to return to his original non-mutated vampire form and cure the other creatures that got away. The next night Michael was visited by Elizabeth while working on a cure for the infected, Liza decided to let go of her revenge though she still couldn't forgiven him, deciding to cut all ties with him before leaving.
Somewhere down in Midtown, Morbius was spotted biting a whole new number of victims before being confronted by Spider-Man. The two battled, before Morbius seemingly fled the scene. Unsuspecting, Spider-Man investigated the victims before being caught by surprise and bitten by him.
Morbius claimed that his blood was not working meaning that he tried to use it to cure himself, Morbius later chased Spider-Man all the way to the Beyond Tower where the security systems there attacked him and blasted one of his arms off. Spider-Man fainted due to the effect of the bite and Morbius fought off Misty Knight and Colleen Wing, whom finally immobilized him with a spider-like mechanical straight jacket.
Powers and Abilities
- Pseudo-Vampirism: Morbius has been transformed into a being similar to a vampire and, as a result, possesses a number of superhuman abilities similar to those possessed by true vampires. Morbius is not a true vampire as the source of his transformation is scientific, not mystical. However, mystical elements have occasionally been introduced into his system, complicating the issue.
- Superhuman Strength: Morbius possesses super-human strength (the extent of which depends on the amount of blood he has ingested and the type of blood). At his peak, Morbius possesses sufficient superhuman strength to lift approximately 1,500 lbs.
- Superhuman Speed: Morbius can run and move at speeds that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Stamina: Morbius' enhanced musculature produces less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of a normal human. He can physically exert himself at peak capacity for several hours before the build up of fatigue toxins in his blood begins to impair him.
- Superhuman Agility: Morbius' agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Morbius' reflexes are similarly enhanced and are superior to those of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Acute Senses: Morbius' senses of sight and smell are enhanced to levels well beyond that of normal humans. Morbius is able to detect objects with perfect clarity at much greater distances than a normal human. He retains this clarity, even in near-total darkness. He is also able to see into the infra-red end of the electromagnetic spectrum, allowing him to see individuals at night by their body heat. His sense of smell is similarly enhanced, able to detect the scent of blood in the air from miles away.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Like true vampires, Morbius possesses an accelerated healing factor that enables him to rapidly regenerate damaged bodily tissues much faster and more extensively than a normal human. Injuries such as gunshots, slashes, and severe burns heal within hours or minutes, depending upon their severity. Though highly developed, Morbius' healing powers aren't sufficient to regenerate missing limbs or organs.
- Fangs & Claws: Like supernatural vampires, Morbius possesses elongated canines that he uses to pierce the flesh of other beings for the purpose of consuming their blood. Morbius can also, however, use his fangs as weapons in very close combat situations. He also possesses a single retractable claw at the tip of each finger. The claws are very sharp, capable of rending human flesh and bone with ease.
- Psionic Gliding: Through mental concentration, Morbius is able to glide through the air over short distances. However, Morbius can only glide at speeds of about 35 miles an hour.
- Mesmerism: After absorbing elements of the Lilin into his bloodstream, Morbius gained the ability to hypnotize others if they look directly into his eyes long enough. While under his control, Morbius typically has full control over an individual. If an individual has sufficient willpower, they can resist or overcome this power.
- Vampire Creation: Like true vampires, Morbius is able to transform individuals into pseudo-vampires like himself by draining them of all their blood. Morbius has control over the pseudo-vampires he creates, just as supernatural vampires have mental control over the vampires they create. The vampires that Morbius creates possess superhuman strength but do not possess accelerated healing factors. Upon receiving lethal injuries, their bodies turn to dust.
- Immunity To Most Vampire Vulnerabilities: As Morbius isn't a supernatural vampire, he is immune to all of the special mystical vulnerabilities that they have. He is unaffected if confronted with religious icons like crucifixes and will not incinerate if exposed to direct sunlight. Morbius does tend to rest during the hours of the day, but does not have any of the consequences of vampirism that supernatural vampires face during the daylight hours. Morbius also has no special vulnerability to objects or weapons composed of silver, or wooden stakes driven through his heart.
- Virtual Immortality: Morbius claims that he doesn't age.
- Genius Intelligence: Morbius is a brilliant scientist specializing in biochemistry. He is also able to put his hand to various other scientific disciplines, having won the Nobel Prize for biochemistry.
- While he has had no formal training, Morbius' powers make him a formidable combatant against most individuals.
- Hunger: The one true weakness Morbius has that supernatural vampires possess is that he must ingest fresh blood several times a week in order to maintain his physical and mental vitality. The longer he goes without blood, the weaker he becomes and the more likely he is to lose control.
- Sunlight: While he can't be killed by sunlight, his eyes and skin are sensitive to exposure to sunlight.
- Mental Instability: Morbius has suffered through suicidal ideation of multiple occasions, desiring to end his 'unlife' when unable to cure himself of his condition. He has also been shown to suffer through visual and auditory hallucinations representing his hunger when he goes without feeding.
- Morbius was one of the characters featured in the series of Marvel Value Stamps issued in the 1970's.
- 214 appearance(s) of Michael Morbius (Earth-616)
- 23 minor appearance(s) of Michael Morbius (Earth-616)
- 22 mentions of Michael Morbius (Earth-616)
- 225 image(s) of Michael Morbius (Earth-616)
- 21 quotation(s) by or about Michael Morbius (Earth-616)