Allegedly, according to the ancient Zoroastrian lore, Ahura Mazda, the creator god, emerged from the personification of infinite time, Zurvan. A wise and benevolent being representing truth, order and justice, Ahura Mazda started populating his domain with life. His birth was soon followed in the one of his twisted mirror image and antithesis, Ahriman, who personified deceit and chaos. Ahriman rejected the peace offerings of Ahura Mazda and tried to kill the life who had been imbued in his domain. After a prolonged battle, Ahura Mazda narrowly overcame and banished Ahriman to the Nether Realms.
Mithra, god of light and justice was one of the Yazatas created by Ahura Mazda to uphold order and justice and in preparation for Ahriman's return.
Banished, Ahmriman created the Divs, demonic gods with the sole purpose of opposing the Yazatas. Since then, the two groups have waged an endless war against each often, often using mortals as pawn in attempt to gain the upper hand.
Activities on Earth
He occasionally intervened directly to protect humanity from the likes of the Elder God Set or Demons such as Molub or Xotli. He and his priests became frequent allies of Conan, who would become king of Aquilonia.
Antiquity to modern days
The Yazatas ended up being worshiped on Earth in the Persian/Iranian plateau, as well as in Central Asia and India, from 1000 BC into modern days, eventually supplanting the worship of the Vedic Gods.
Presumably all of the Yazatas' powers.
If an average male Yazata, Mithra can presumably lift about 25 tons.
- 2 Appearances of Mithra (Earth-616)
- 4 Minor Appearances of Mithra (Earth-616)
- Media Mithra (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 2 Images featuring Mithra (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Mithra (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Mithra (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Thor & Hercules: Encyclopaedia Mythologica #1; Yazatas' entry
- ↑ Conan the Barbarian #15
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #3; Council of Godheads's entry
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Savage Sword of Conan #40
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Conan Universe #1; Gods and Worship's entry
|Like this? Let us know!|