- The stench in the air is the smell of burning bridges. There's no going back. Sometimes you make your mistakes with your eyes wide open. Sometimes you don't have a choice. Nowhere to go but forward. All the way. They pushed me to this. Now I was going to push back.
- -- Operative
Appearing in 1st story
- Operative (Dennis Piper) (First appearance)
- Revenant (Ezekiel Wright) (First appearance)
- Sarah Starr (First appearance)
- General (First appearance)
- The Board (First appearance)
- Corrupted police officers
- Bartlett (First appearance)
- Taylor (First appearance)
Races and Species:
- United States of America
Synopsis for 1st story
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Mystery Men Vol 1 1 on the forums
- 6 Images from Mystery Men Vol 1 1
- Reviews about Mystery Men Vol 1 1
|Like this? Let us know!|
Marvel's once again delving into the Golden Age of comics with Mystery Men, a story set in the 1930s dealing with the pulp heroes Revenant and the Operative, and their mysterious foe the General. In our first issue, we get introduced to our main characters (along with Sarah Starr, sister to the Operative's murdered girlfriend, Alice, and the Olympian goddess Nox, the driving force behind the General).
Very cool comic, I must say. Much darker and more intimate tone than you see in most comics today, really fitting the pulp feel it's supposed to have. The Operative as a Depression-era Robin Hood really worked, and the Revenant as a mysterious, shadowy figure was nice. I assume we'll get info on why the Revenant knows what he knows and why he cares about taking the General down in future issues, but I'm very much liking this issue. Lots of action, lots of intrigue, and lots of questions that are begging for answers. Very excited about this series and hope the rest can maintain this level of cool.
4.5 out of 5 stars. Not perfect, but very nice. And it's nice to see a series set in the Marvel universe that doesn't depend on you knowing a single thing about the Marvel universe.GrnMarvl14 02:16, June 14, 2011 (UTC)