Nels van Adder was a research assitant to Norman Osborn on "Biogenetic Project Supreme," which presumably aimed to test and perfect what would one day be known as the "Goblin Formula." He accepted to be used as a guinea pig to test the formula before they had a stabilizing reagent. As a result, Nels horribly mutated into a red creature.
Following his transmutation, he was spotted lurking around the gates outside the Osborn Plant by the police, who were hunting a serial killer at the time, and was stopped for questioning. Losing control over himself, Nels attacked the officers and ran into the plant, where he was eventually surrounded by police captain George Stacy, Osborn's newly appointed head of security Arthur Stacy, and a team of security guards. After attacking a guard and being shot by George, Nels escaped from the facility.
In the next day, Nels confronted Norman in the old laboratory of Mendel Stromm, from who Norman had stolen the formula used on Nels. He blamed his boss for his predicament, but was soon reminded by him that he had volunteered for that. A short time after letting Norman collect a sample of blood, Nels ended up losing control again and attacked his employer. The Stacy brothers arrived just in time to save Norman's life, throwing Nels out of a window into a river nearby. He was never seen again after this incident.
Powers and Abilities
Goblin Formula: After being injected with the earliest version of the formula, Nels van Adder gained the following powers:
- Superhuman Strength: Nels can easily overpower humans by sending them flying, crush wood panels and templates, and break through walls without sustaining any injury.
- Superhuman Speed: Nels can run and operate at superhuman speeds.
- Superhuman Stamina: Nels operates or maintain continuous physical motion in activities or simply in his movements for prolonged periods of time without getting tired or weary in the process.
- Superhuman Durability: The formula also fortified all of the Nels' bodily tissues, making them far tougher and more resistant to injury than normal humans. While Nels can be injured by something along the lines of a knife or small conventional bullets composed of conventional material, he is very resistant to great impact forces and blunt trauma.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: If Nels does sustain injury, his body's increased metabolism allows him to heal damaged tissue much faster and more extensively than a normal human is capable of. While not nearly as efficient as the healing powers possessed by Wolverine, he can heal from injuries that would prove lethal to an ordinary human.
- Superhuman Agility: Nels' agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Reflexes: His reflexes are similarly enhanced and are superior to those of the finest human athlete.
- Claws and Fangs: Nels sports retractable, razor sharp claws at the tip of each finger and toe. Their natural edge, coupled with his strength, are sufficient to rend most conventional materials, including flesh, wood, stone, and even some types of metals. He also possesses elongated canines that he can use, if he chooses to do so, as effective weapons in close quarter combat situations.
- According to Nels van Adder's Osborn Industries identification badge, his date of birth is October 24, 1964.
- This character was said to appear in the Amazing Spider-Man movie, but he was apparently changed for the exclusive of the movie, Doctor Rajit Ratha.