- Only one thing will tell me the battle was won. That the fight was over. And that is one day I am going to go for a walk. A free man of convictions. And I said to myself, if I ever get to do that again, I'll know, on that day...we won.
- -- Luke Cage
Appearing in 1st story
- New Avengers
- Hood's criminal army (Disbands)
- Hood (Parker Robbins) (Leaves team)
- Madame Masque (Whitney Frost) (Leaves team)
- Chemistro (Curtis Carr) (Leaves team)
- Crossfire (William Cross) (Leaves team)
- Razor-Fist (Douglas Scott) (Leaves team)
- Mandrill (Jerome Beechman) (Leaves team)
- Answer (Aaron Nicholson) (Leaves team)
- Wrecking Crew (Leaves team)
- Count Nefaria (Luchino Nefaria)
- John King
- Norman Osborn (Appears on a computer screen, TV, or hologram only)
- City of Asgard (Ruins)
- New York City
- Iron Man Armor Model 3
- Iron Man Armor Model 25 (Only in flashback)
- Captain America's Shield (Main story and flashback)
- Captain America's Uniform (Main story and flashback)
- Mockingbird's Battle Staves (Main story and flashback)
- Eye of Agamotto (Only in flashback)
- Cloak of Levitation (Only in flashback)
- Cyclops' Visor (Only in flashback)
- Ares' Axe (Only in flashback)
- Thunderball's Ball and Chain (Only in flashback)
- Wrecker's Crowbar (Only in flashback)
Synopsis for 1st story
Madame Masque goes to her father, Count Nefaria, for help, considering that they are on the run and her partner the Hood is depowered. Nefaria accepts her plea, mainly because she's his daughter, but also to take the Hood's money.
Meanwhile, Jessica Jones, worried about her husband, is watching the news, detailing Norman Osborn's turn to being the Green Goblin and the fall of Asgard. Her cell phone then rings. The caller ID is the US Army. When she answers it, Cage's voice comes, explaining that he borrowed an army phone. She pleads her husband to come home, fearing that he may be arrested. However, Cage doesn't think that's going to happen and signs off, expressing his love. Jessica then cries, fearing that Cage may be going insane.
Back in Asgard, the New Avengers have gathered, wondering what to do: either run or stay and help. Steve Rogers walks up to them, stating that the President has summoned him, implying that things may be going their way. They then all turn their heads to see the Hood's gang, captured by the Asgardians. Running up to the captured villains, they demand to know where their boss is. The villains are more than happy to sell the Hood out, seeing as how he and Masque abandoned them. They blurt out that the Hood has a cousin, John King. The New Avengers then track King down to force him to call the Hood, to determine his location. Then, using the Helitransport, they quickly head to Los Angeles, where the Hood is. Using the advanced gadgets Nick Fury installed on the craft, they are able to see the Nefarias and the Hood holographically. King, webbed up in the back, asks what are they going to do next. He doesn't think that taking down his cousin will change anything, for it will only create a power vacuum that will bring in another person like him. Cage agrees with him, before stating that they are going to fix just that. Turning to his teammates, Cage tells them that he's not going to let the Hood slip out of their fingers again and get powered up to take another shot at them. Everyone is in agreement and then try formulating a plan. The Hood and Masque would be easy to take down, but Nefaria is a walking powerhouse. They also have King call the Hood again, to confirm that he's lost his powers. Cage then says that he has a call to make.
In Nefaria's office, he is offering the Hood the labs to give him new powers. Then suddenly, the New Avengers burst in. Spider-Man webs up both the Hood and Masque and carries off the former, leaving the latter for Spider-Woman to take out. Ms. Marvel goes up against Nefaria, absorbing his energy attacks and rebounding them back against him. Nefaria comes back to brutally pummel her, all the while declaring that he's an immortal. Then out of nowhere, Wolverine, having been summoned by Cage, ambushes him, giving him a number of hard slashes that leaves Nafaria weakened. Then, Ms. Marvel overwhelms him with an influx of energy, causing him to fall unconscious.
The New Avengers return to Asgard, where they drop the four villains off. Maria Hill is glad to see them and, when they state they don't know what they are anymore, she asks that they turn on a TV - or a computer, or read the newspaper, or "just pick up the damn phone". The next day, everyone learns that the Superhuman Registration Act has been abolished, Rogers has replaced Osborn as America's Top Cop and the New Avengers are no longer fugitives. They then reflect on all of their adventures, including the Sentry/Void incident, the fight with the Hand, the House of M, the Secret Invasion, the Collective, Dark Reign and the Siege. The final scene is the New Avengers, in their civilian clothing, happily enjoying a day of freedom.
In the wake of SIEGE, an ALL NEW shocking conclusion to the landmark NEW AVENGERS series. NEW AVENGERS is coming to an end…but not without a bang. For the first time ever, series regular Brian Bendis teams up with the superstar artist that reinvented team books for this generation…Bryan Hitch. The entirety of the Marvel landscape has changed and many Avengers do not know their place in it. But before they can move on, some very important loose ends need to be tied up. A.K.A. it's payback time!! All this and a bevy of super star artists stop by to pay tribute to the work they made famous over the course of this top-selling book.
- This issue takes place following the events of Siege #4.
- Iron Man is seen in an antiquated version of his armor. It is either a Iron Man Armor Model 3 or Iron Man Armor Model 4. An earlier editor noted Model 3 and the reference this issue supports that continuity.
- Features several flashback scenes with art by David Finch, Danny Miki, Frank D'Armata, Steve McNiven, Dexter Vines, Morry Hollowell, Olivier Coipel, John Dell, Mike Deodato Jr., Joe Pimental, Dave Stewart, Leinil Francis Yu, Mark Morales, Laura Martin, Bryan Hitch, Rain Beredo, Billy Tan, Matt Banning, and Justin Ponsor.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss New Avengers Finale Vol 1 1 on the forums
- 7 Images from New Avengers Finale Vol 1 1
Links and References
|Like this? Let us know!|