- It means we don't need S.H.I.E.L.D. permission to but the Avengers back together. And no offense to you, Agent Hill, but considering that S.H.I.E.L.D. has some 40-odd major powered threats... who were, just last night, under S.H.I.E.L.D. guard... now running loose in the city of New York and beyond... I would think that you would welcome our expertise.
- -- Iron Man
Appearing in "Breakout!: Part 4"
- New Avengers
- Edwin Jarvis
- Director Maria Hill (First appearance) (Appears on a computer screen, TV, or hologram only)
- Sentry (Robert Reynolds) (Mentioned)
- Nick Fury (Mentioned)
- Champions (Mentioned)
- Thor (Mentioned)
- Slug (Ulysses Lugman) (On-screen)
- Nitro (Robert Hunter) (On-screen)
- Typhoid Mary (Mary Walker) (On-screen)
- Grey Gargoyle (Paul Duval) (On-screen)
- Jigsaw (Billy Russo) (On-screen)
- A Blood Brother (On-screen)
- A Brother Grimm (On-screen) (Undetermined sibling)
- Centurius (Noah Black) (On-screen)
- Scarecrow (Ebenezer Laughton) (On-screen)
- Mentallo (Marvin Flumm) (On-screen)
- Doctor Demonicus (Douglas Birely) (On-screen)
- Armadillo (Antonio Rodriguez) (On-screen)
- Crusader (Arthur Blackwood) (On-screen)
- Answer (Aaron Nicholson) (On-screen)
- Mister Fear (Alan Fagan) (On-screen)
- Blackout (Lilin) (On-screen)
- Zzzax (On-screen)
- Molecule Man (Owen Reece) (On-screen)
- Vermin (Edward Whelan) (On-screen)
- Controller (Basil Sandhurst) (On-screen)
- Chemistro (Calvin Carr) (On-screen)
- Mandrill (Jerome Beechman) (On-screen)
- Razor Fist (Douglas Scott) (On-screen)
- Daredevil (Matt Murdock) (Mentioned)
- Avengers (Mentioned)
- Mia Salem (First appearance)
- Several unnamed civilians
- Mister Hyde (Calvin Zabo)
- Several unidentified super powered criminals
- Sauron (Karl Lykos) (On-screen)
- Mary Jane Watson (Mentioned)
- Wolverine (Logan) (Shadow only)
Races and Species:
- Iron Man Armor Model 25 (Main story and flashback)
- Captain America's Uniform and Shield
- Spider-Man's Suit and Web-Shooters
- Spider-Woman's Suit
- Adamantium (On Wolverine's claws)
Synopsis for "Breakout!: Part 4"
Jessica Drew arrives at Stark Tower as Captain America and Iron Man are trying to get Special Agent Maria Hill, Acting Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., to release The Sentry into their custody and to inform her that the Avengers are reforming. Hill doesn't take this news very well, saying that is what put Fury where he is [see SECRET WAR for Fury’s departure from S.H.I.E.L.D.]. What shuts her up is Cap explaining to her that he has Champion-level clearance, which means he doesn't need S.H.I.E.L.D.’s permission to start the Avengers or make use of the Sentry. When asked about the investigation into the Raft breakout, she would only speak to Cap, alone.
The team, including Drew in her Spider-Woman outfit, is briefed by Cap about the breakout. They had confirmed that it was in fact a prison break to break out one specific inmate, one that was still unknown. They find out who the 42 escapees are and, from a video clip of his blurry shoulder, Spider-Man is able to identify Electro. Iron Man tracks him down to Boston and they head there in a new Quinjet.
Max Dillon, Electro, meets his girlfriend in Boston with every intent to run to some tropical beach with his girl and his ill-gotten gains. However, the Avengers are right on top of him. He attacks, but Iron Man quickly traps him in a stasis bubble. When he refuses to talk, Cage has Spider-Man web up his hands so he could pound the crap out of the villain, and the villain promptly faints. However, Spider-Woman thinks up another way to get the info they seek.
The caught escapees of the Raft were being temporarily held in Ryker’s Island Penitentiary. In walks Spider-Woman who asks the incarcerated inmates to spill on who Electro broke out. She is met with silence. This is when she brings out a box of Apple Crumb Cake Entenmann’s Donuts and says that the first person that tells her would get the box. Every one of them screamed the name Karl Lykos.
Karl Lykos is a mutant that absorbs life-energy to survive. Overeating causes him to turn into a pterodactyl man named Sauron. The new team of Avengers then head to where Lykos would have fled; The Savage Land. While looking up his S.H.I.E.L.D. file, they find it’s been locked from the inside. Despite the best attempts of the dinosaurs of the Savage Land, Iron Man successfully pilots the quinjet down. The Avengers get out right before a large Tyranasaurus foot crushes it. They split up and flee into the jungle. When they think they are safe, Cage and Drew stop to breathe.
What Drew doesn't see is a short, hairy bare-chested man about to slit her throat from behind with three claws extending from his fist.
- Events in this issue take place approximately 24 to 48 hours after the initial events of the Raft breakout.
- Numerous Raft inmates are seen on video screens.
- Most of the images used for the Raft escapees are from the various original Marvel handbooks.
|Like this? Let us know!|