Appearing in "E is for Extinction (Part 2)"
- Nano-Sentinels (Behind the scenes)
- 🢐 Donald Trask (Death) (Name first revealed)
- 🢐 Ms. Nova 🢒
- Classic Sentinel (Mentioned)
- God (Yahweh) (Mentioned)
- U.S. Government (Mentioned)
- Trish Tilby (Appears on screen)
- Tom Cruise (Mentioned) (Topical Reference)
- Nicole Kidman (Mentioned) (Topical Reference)
- Emma Frost's Telepathy Class
- Negasonic Teenage Warhead (First appearance) (Death)
- Unidentified students (First and only known appearance; dies)
- 🢐 Magneto (Erik Lehnsherr) 🢒 (Apparent death)
- Several Genoshan Mutants (Only appearance; death)
- Acolytes (Behind the scenes)
- 🢐 Carmen Pryde (Death behind the scenes)
- 🢐 Polaris (Lorna Dane) 🢒 (Behind the scenes)
Races and Species:
- South America
- North America
- South Africa, Africa (Mentioned)
- Cape Town (Mentioned)
- Australia, Oceania (Mentioned)
- Sydney (Mentioned)
Synopsis for "E is for Extinction (Part 2)"
From the hidden Ecuadorian Master Mold factory unit, Donald Trask (inspired by the radical ideas of Cassandra Nova) instructs the giant Wild Sentinels to commit mass mutant genocide. Cyclops, Wolverine and the innocent civilian Ugly John fly above the factory on-board the X-Wing. They are then attacked by various miniature Sentinels and are soon brought forth to Cassandra Nova.
Inside the factory, Cassandra kills Donald after assimilating his DNA sequence; now able to command his Wild Sentinels. She then imposes Ugly John with an agonizing death, before Wolverine and Cyclops can release themselves. In turn, the two X-Men capture Cassandra Nova. Cyclops humanely kills Ugly John with his optic blast to spare him further suffering.
At that moment, Emma Frost commences her telepathic lesson in Genosha (that includes the precognitive Negasonic Teenage Warhead.) The teenager's nightmare finally comes into conception as enormous Wild Sentinels arrive to bring slaughter and destruction to the mutant sanctuary. Meanwhile, at the Xavier Mansion, the Professor cuts short his recovery to locate the missing X-Men. Once Cerebra is activated, Xavier, Jean and Beast witness the horrific massacre of more than sixteen million mutants.
- Several unnamed telepathic mutants appear in Emma Frost's class. Among them, Negasonic Teenage Warhead will seemingly join the Hellfire Club's Inner Circle in Astonishing X-Men (Vol. 3) #12, as well as later being resurrected by Selene during the events of Necrosha.
- Two characters that would appear much later in this comic series have a very similar appearance to two students in Emma's telepathy class; they are Dust and Radian.
- A Wild Sentinel will return in Astonishing X-Men (Vol. 3) #11.
- Although they do not physically appear, it is later confirmed in X-Force (Vol. 3) #21 that Rem-Ram, Spoor, Static, Barnacle, and Katu were killed off-panel in this issue.
- The syringe that Cassandra injects herself with turns out to contain Nano-Sentinels, after she is attacked by wolverine and her blood splashed on members of the team the sentinels spread to other inhabitants of the Mansion causing flu-like symptoms.
A flashback in this story affects the chronology of the following characters:
- X-Men has been renamed New X-Men since the last issue. It will be renamed X-Men again after the Grant Morrison's run on the title.
- Features a variant cover by Barry Windsor-Smith.
- Last issue in series to have the Comic Code Authority Seal of Approval
- Emma proposes that her students telepathically probe famous celebrities including Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman.