Noah Black was a brilliant geneticist who was awarded a Nobel Prize in the 1930s. He attended a conference on genetics in the 1930s along with other noted geneticists in the world such as Herbert Wyndham, Arnim Zola, and Wladyslav Shinski.
Sometime after winning the Prize, Black went mad, taking the name "Centurius" and seeing himself as the self-proclaimed savior of Earth, and retreated to remote Valhalla Island to conduct genetic experiments. On the island he was successful in evolving numerous monstrous creatures. During the transport of his newly created life forms to an orbiting space ark, S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, Nick Fury and Jimmy Woo, by chance discovered Centurius' island where they were forced to crash land their aircraft.
The pair of agents initially attempted to convince Centurius to return to civilization with them, but when the geneticist's plot to destroy all life on Earth was revealed, Fury and his companions attack. In a ploy to defeat the agents, Centurius attempted to transform himself into a "superior being" using a device called the "Evolutionizer", but instead of evolving he "de-evolved" into a handful of protoplasmic slime.
Later, Centurius somehow "re-evolved" into human form and as a member of the group known as the Conspiracy; he clashed with the heroic monster hunter Ulysses Bloodstone when the Conspiracy tried to gain untold power by gathering and reuniting the lost fragments of the Bloodgem, a mystic jewel from another dimension. However, The Conspiracy's efforts ultimately failed when their essences were absorbed by an enormous crystalline creature created from the Bloodgem. Ulysses Bloodstone succeeded in shattering the Bloodgem creature which apparently killed Centurius and the other members of the Conspiracy.
Centurius, along with many of the other escaped inmates, eventually became a member of The Hood's crime syndicate. During an attack on the New Avengers' headquarters by the crime syndicate, Centurius was incapacitated by the sorcerer Doctor Strange and taken into S.H.I.E.L.D. custody. The Hood and his motley army recovered, his army unhappy with the Hood's leadership. The Hood put Centurius, Chemistro, Demonicus, the Answer, and Living Laser on a special project, promising to be in touch soon. During the Secret Invasion, he was among the many supervillains who rejoined the Hood's crime syndicate and attacked an invading Skrull force. He joined with the Hood's Gang in an attack on the New Avengers, who were expecting the Dark Avengers instead. Centurius partied at one of Hood's safehouses and passed out after drinking too much.
He was later seen conferring with the Hood regarding the zombie virus. Centurius advised the Hood not to pursue the virus, but the Hood was compelled by Dormammu to procure the virus from Black Talon despite Black's warnings.
A furious Hood returned to his army and killed Jonas Harrow for his betrayal. Hood chided the criminals for their panicked actions, and told them they now had to follow Norman Osborn's orders. Osborn told them to hunt the unregistered heroes and bring them back, dead or alive. The Hood used the Norn Stones to give those in his army the ability to track down the targeted heroes, increasing their own strength and power as well.
Traveling to the Past
He escaped together with several other inmates who were members of the Thunderbolts. Due to a failure of the teleportation technology of their tower, caused by Man-Thing, the tower began to move in time as well as in space. They ended up in World War II teaming up with the Invaders to battle the Nazis. They next end up in Victorian London. They went even further back in time ending up in King Arthur's court in Camelot.
They eventually bounced back to when the original Zemo lead the Thunderbolts team. After the Fixer killed his younger self, this began to cause a collapse in reality which forced Fixer to assume his younger self's place. Centurius returned to the future with the rest of the Thunderbolts.
Return to Hood's Gang
Centurius attended a meeting of various villains organized by the Wizard to discuss what to do about Doctor Doom who had unexpectedly decided to become a superhero and become the new Iron Man. As the Hood brought up the idea of forming a gang of villains to take Doom out, Doom suddenly appeared and took down all of the villains present. He later participated in an ambush against Doom along with many of the other villains that Doom had earlier defeated. He also attended another meeting to discuss Hood's rise as the new Kingpin of crime before joining Hood's Gang once more in ransacking Castle Doom in search for Doom's fortune.
- Enhanced Mental Process: He was born with an enhanced mental acumen which allows his mind to operate in the most efficient and rapid manner possible. He possesses enhanced intuition, pattern solving, information storage/retrieval, and logical/philosophical structuring. His mind also process information quickly, giving him an accelerated learning aptitude, a knack for quickly analyzing multiple information streams (e.g., threat assessment) and rapidly respond to changing tactical situations, eidetic memory (meaning that he never forgets anything and has perfect recall), ability to read at superhuman speeds, and high deductive/reasoning skills.
- Evolutionizer Device: transformed him into a physically "superior being"
- Enhanced Strength: Centurius has enhanced physical strength equal to the peak of human potential. His physical strength is between 800 lbs and 2 tons.
- Enhanced Speed: Centurius can run at a speed between 36 to 75 miles per hour.
- Enhanced Durability: Skin, bone, and muscle tissues are augmented to levels that are considerably stronger and harder than human and the tissues are impervious to injury to an extraordinary extent. He seems capable of taking several gunshot & puncture wounds as well as beatings and still stand on his feet.
- Enhanced Agility: His agility, balance, flexibility, dexterity, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of an Olympic gold medalist. He has the combined agility and acrobatic prowess of the most accomplished circus aerialists and acrobats.
- Enhanced Reflexes: His reflexes are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Enhanced Healing: Healing speed and efficiency are beyond the highest limits of human potential, which means he can heal faster than most human beings. He can flawlessly regenerate injured tissue and brain cells to an extraordinary degree, heal broken bones, broken neck, torn muscles, and regenerate damaged or destroyed limbs and/or organs. 
- Disease Immunity: Due to his highly efficient immune system, he is immune to all Earthly poisons, toxins, venom, viruses, bacteria, diseases, disorders, parasites, allergens, gas attacks, and nerve-toxins of any kind. 
- Enhanced Stamina: His body eliminates the excessive build-up of fatigue-producing chemicals in his muscles; he is unable to feel the fatigue toxins flowing through his body, granting him exceptional endurance and lung capacity. His lung capacity is at the peak human levels, enabling him to hold his breath underwater for 6 minutes. As a result, he has virtually limitless stamina in all physical activities. 
- Longevity: His enhancements grant him an extended lifespan by slowing the effects of the aging process due to extensively healthy cells regenerating.
- Super-Genius Intelligence: Centurius is an extraordinary genius, with highly advanced knowledge of genetics, biology, and technology. He holds a PhD in genetics.
- He's also well-versed in unarmed combat.
- Centurius Armor: Centurius utilizes power armor of his own design, making him tougher, stronger, allowing him to interface with machines, and containing several of his gadgets and other equipment.
- Weapons/Technology: He's created countless machines and gadgets over the years; including teleporters, ray guns, holographic projectors, remote viewers, and more; as well as numerous unearthly creatures and monsters with his mastery of accelerated evolution.
- 52 appearance(s) of Noah Black (Earth-616)
- 5 appearance(s) in handbook(s) of Noah Black (Earth-616)
- 3 minor appearance(s) of Noah Black (Earth-616)
- 1 mention(s) in handbook(s) of Noah Black (Earth-616)
- 25 image(s) of Noah Black (Earth-616)
- 4 quotation(s) by or about Noah Black (Earth-616)