- I am the One Above All. I see through many eyes. I build with many hands. They are themselves, but they are also me. I am all-powerful. My only weapon is love. The mystery intrigues me.
- -- One-Above-All src
Apparently responsible for the existence of all life in the Multiverse and possibly beyond, the One-Above-All is the master and sole superior of the cosmic overseer and arbitrator known as the Living Tribunal, whose faces, embodying equity, vengeance, and necessity respectively, are in perfect alignment with one another as it passes judgment.
When the pregnant Susan Storm feared for her husband's possible death at the hands of the "all-powerful" Silver Surfer, Uatu the Watcher explained to her that there is only one being that is truly "all-powerful", and that "His only weapon...is love!", During an encounter with the Sorcerer Supreme Doctor Strange, the cosmic entity Eternity told Strange: "I and my brother, Death, comprise all of your reality, mystic! Neither he nor I are God, for God rules all realities!" When Thor once compared himself and Odin to various other gods and abstract beings in terms of power, he noted: "...and 'tis said that a being, called the Living Tribunal — the final judge — hath the power to enforce his will 'pon any cosmos he doth judge! And 'tis said his power is supreme in all the Multiverse. Even I, son of one of the mightiest of all gods, find it impossible to conceive of such levels of power! And 'tis a humbling thought to consider how much greater the Creator of all Universes must be than that of all of His creations combined!"
The Living Tribunal is said to be "the representative of one whose might exceeds even Eternity", and the omniscient Infinity Well within Death’s realm described the Tribunal as “the representative of the One who is above all.” The Tribunal later stated: “It was Eternity who first brought this matter to my attention and whom I ruled in favor of. Laws set forth from Above declare that only he may now reverse that decision.” Master Order, whilst observing Adam Warlock alongside Lord Chaos, said: “And may the Supreme Will smile on the golden warrior.” Warlock later recounts how he was called to judgment by the Living Tribunal, who he describes as “the servant of the One who is above even gods.”
The Cosmic Cube Kubik, on a tour of reality displaying various higher powers to Kosmos, upon meeting the Tribunal, told her that while it is the most supreme power which can be comprehended, "logic would indicate that the Tribunal itself is but another servant, but of what none dare imagine." In the aftermath of the events of Infinity Gauntlet, the Living Tribunal easily undid all the destruction an enraged Adam Warlock wreaked in his Trial, claiming that, "I represent forces that dwarf even your might. My authority comes from on High." When the Protégé claimed to the Living Tribunal and other cosmic entities that he was the most powerful being that ever was, and that he would surpass them all and move up, the Tribunal countered, "Impossible! There is only one above the Living Tribunal!" Later, after the Protégé declared himself the One-Above-All in an attempt to seize ultimate power, the Tribunal absorbed the Protégé into itself, proclaiming, "Your actions and intentions are inexcusable! Make your peace! May the One-Above-All forgive you!"
During her crusade, the Goddess, seeking to purge Creation of all evil and believing herself serving the will of "the Supreme One", gathered dozens of Earth's most devout heroes to her base in Paradise Omega. When the Silver Surfer argued that the collected Infinity Gems would make a far more potent force than the Cosmic Containment Units, the Goddess replied, "True, but the Supreme One's servant, the Living Tribunal, has ruled that the Infinity Gems may never again be used in unison." After the Surfer then raised the question of possible interference from cosmic entities such as the Tribunal or Eternity against their activities, the Goddess argued, "We serve the Supreme Will. We do nothing that either Eternity or Infinity would object to. They are already aware of our movement." When later confronted by a skeptical Reed Richards, the Goddess told him, "I do not claim omnipotence. I, too, am a servant."
The One-Above-All seemingly appeared to the Fantastic Four in "Heaven", at the time of the Thing's death, praising them for their persistence in exploring the universe and promising extraordinary new wonders to be discovered in the years ahead, and eventually restored the Thing back to life. A grieving Peter Parker was encouraged by the One-Above-All, disguised as an elderly homeless man, to keep faith, when his Aunt May lay close to death. When a bartender asked the demon Mephisto whether the Living Tribunal, having created the Infinite Embassy, was actually "God", Mephisto responded, "No, he's not God. He's just the biggest kid in all the playgrounds. And if he knows the Principal, he's not exactly chatty about it."
After the collapse of the Multiverse at the hands of the Beyonders, Doctor Strange briefly mentions to Earth's incursion survivors after finding them alive that, "The Earth that was...the Universe that was...the Multiverse that was...these were all formed by some higher order -- some alien, ethereal other thing that perfectly constructed not just the material nature of everything, but the rules that governed it as well.
Thanos and an alternative version of Adam Warlock gained a brief audience with the entity after their reality had been destroyed. It was here revealed that the One-Above-All, also called the "Above-All-Others", exists beyond time and space, and alternates between appearing as male and female. Thanos managed to convince the entity to restore reality, in exchange for Adam taking up the vacant position, and duties, of the deceased Living Tribunal.
When Thanos, controlled by his future self, began using the Astral Regulator to absorb the majority of the cosmic beings, putting the entire multiverse into chaos, the Above-All-Others and the Living Tribunal tried to stop him, but was all in vain as Thanos was able to absorb them both, with his future self becoming the god and the manifestation of the entire multiverse. Thankfully, Adam Warlock, Kang the Conqueror, Starfox, and Pip the Troll, were able to allow present Thanos to take control of his future's powers and reverted everything back prior to his future's machinations, seemingly restoring Above-All-Others back to normal.
As the supreme being within the Multiverse, the One-Above-All is omnipotent (and presents himself as all-powerful), omnipresent, and omniscient, and is above all cosmic powers and abstract entities, even the Living Tribunal.
Beyond any known system of abilities.
Beyond any known system of strength.
Multiversal Imbalance: When Thanos, controlled by his omnipotent future self, got hold of his universe's Regulator (an artifact more powerful than the Infinity Gems which served to keep each universe separate from one another), this caused grave imbalance to the Multiverse something that neither the Above-All-Others was able to fix. This allowed the all-powerful Thanos from the year 4657 A.D. to absorb the Above-All-Others.
- One-Above-All is not to be confused with the Celestial of the same name and it is unknown if the One Above All has any relation to other characters like Yahweh or the Fulcrum, since they are also affiliated with the creation of life.
- One-Above-All is mentioned in the Appendix glossary of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, described as "the entity believed to be the supreme being/creator of the Omniverse".
- According to the Marvel Handbook profiles of Eternity and Infinity, “The only being known to have authority over Eternity is the Living Tribunal, which is itself a servant of a higher power known only as ‘the One Above All’ (not to be confused with the Celestial of the same name)... each universe has its own Infinity, all overseen by the Living Tribunal and its enigmatic master, the ‘One Above All’ (not the Celestial of the same name).”
- After the Infinity War, Eternity informed the Infinity Watch: “Let it be known the power that the Living Tribunal represents will never again allow the Gems to work in unison. No matter what the crisis.” However, Captain America’s successful use of the Infinity Gauntlet to repel an incursion from an alternate Earth, coinciding around the same time the Living Tribunal’s corpse being found on the moon, implied even this mandate had been somehow rescinded, with unclear implications.
- The Presence is apparently the counterpart in the DC Universe to the One-Above-All.
- During the retroactive continuity in which the Rider accompanied the Fantastic Four and met the One-Above-All, the One-Above-All stated that the Rider wasn't one of his creations and denied him entrance to his room. This left the Rider to meet his actual creator, an entity resembling Donny Cates. It is unknown if this being is an aspect of the One-Above-All or a whole separate entity.
- In Deadpool: Secret Agent Deadpool #6, the One-Above-All bears a striking resemblance to Jack Kirby.
- 11 Appearances of One-Above-All (Multiverse)
- 3 Minor Appearances of One-Above-All (Multiverse)
- Media One-Above-All (Multiverse) was Mentioned in
- 11 Images featuring One-Above-All (Multiverse)
- 1 Quotations by or about One-Above-All (Multiverse)
- Character Gallery: One-Above-All (Multiverse)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Thanos: The Infinity Finale #1
- Deadpool: Secret Agent Deadpool #6
- Ultimates 2 #100
- Infinity Crusade #2
- Fantastic Four #511
- Avengers No Road Home #10
- Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #6
- Silver Surfer Vol 3 #31
- Fantastic Four #72
- Doctor Strange Vol 2 #13
- Thor Annual #14
- Infinity War
- Warlock Chronicles #2
- Fantastic Four Annual #23
- Warlock and the Infinity Watch #1
- Guardians of the Galaxy #47-50
- Sensational Spider-Man Vol 2 #40
- Journey into Mystery #627
- Secret Wars #4
- Thanos: The Infinity Conflict #1
- Thanos: The Infinity Ending #1
- Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #1
- Marvel Appendix - Glossary
- Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #4
- Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #5
- Infinity War #6
- New Avengers Vol 3 #3
- New Avengers Vol 3 #8
- Cosmic Ghost Rider Destroys Marvel History #1
|Like this? Let us know!|