Little has been revealed about Phastos' past. He had served as a master technologist for the Eternals of Earth, and had created numerous weapons and inventions for them. It was Phastos who forged the sword of the Eternal Kingo Sunen. He was also the teacher of the Eternal scientist Sygmar. Phastos had long lived with a deep sorrow whose nature and origin was not revealed. Phastos believed life to be meaningless, and was searching for someone or something to show him some semblance of the meaning of life. Presumably this person or object was the focus of his obsession which he admits to having. Perhaps Phastos' search was the reason why he remained on Earth when most of his fellow Eternals left for outer space. Perhaps, too, his sorrow and his obsession influenced Phastos' refusal to participate in war.
Being a weapon-smith, Phastos was mistaken for the Olympian god Hephaestus during the days of Ancient Greece.  Phastos and Ikaris observed Hercules defending the city of Lerna from the Hydra. They grew concerned that an Olympian god was among the mortals. They decided to continue to observe the situation and intervene as necessary.
After having his memories rewritten by Sprite, Phastos was living as a human man named Phillip Stoss and worked as an automotive engineer in Zuffenhausen Germany, where he continued to search for that special something that would show him life. While his memories still had yet to be reawakened, Phastos turned away his fellow Eternals Thena and Ikaris who hoped to have him join them in opposing a dangerous new plot by Druig. He was forcefully reawakened by Ikaris when the Dreaming Celestial put the world's population to sleep.
Alliance with Thanos
After Eternals committed mass suicide after learning the true purpose of their kind was to cultivate humankind, including Phastos, the Eternals were slowly resurrected by the Exclusion. Phastos was first to be resurrected, allowing him to peer into the resurrection machines and discovered a frightening truth: Eternals were resurrected at the cost of human lives. Phastos wanted to stop to this. So, he enlisted the aid of Thanos by blackmailing him into fully restoring his body and threatening to end him if he turned on him.
Thanos proceeded to kill the many Eternals including the Prime Eternal Zuras while Phastos sabotaged the machines that resurrected the Eternals, the latter action threatening the biosphere of the Earth itself. Phastos' treachery was uncovered when Gilgamesh revealed how the way the resurrection machines could only be done with knowledge provided by Phastos. As the Eternals went to confront Phastos, Phastos warned Thanos that enemies were coming his way just as his attempts to repair the resurrection machines failed.
When Phastos' attempts to repair the machines failed, he tried teleporting an Eternal that could help him but that failed and teleported everyone across Earth. When Ikaris arrived, Phastos informed him how to repair the machine. Ikaris was successful but died in the process, though he later resurrected. As Ikaris was repairing the machine, Druig entered Phastos' mind and erased the method he would have used to stop Thanos to aid the Mad Titan. Phastos then revealed what he learned to his fellow Eternals about the resurrection process. When it appeared that the resurrection process wouldn't be changed, Phastos and ther Eternals visited the Deviants of Lemuria, asking how to become them.
Powers and Abilities
Phastos possesses the conventional attributes of the Eternal race as well as certain special abilities developed through rigorous discipline. Like that of all Eternals, his life force is augmented by cosmic energy and he has total mental control over his physical form and bodily processes even when he is asleep or unconscious.
- Superhuman Strength: Phastos possesses superhuman strength whose exact extent is unknown. He has been shown to throw huge boulders and larger cars without much stress.
- Invulnerability: Resistant to conventional forms of injury. Should Phastos be injured somehow, he could regenerate any injured or missing tissue. An Eternal can only die through an injury that disperses a significant portion of his body molecules, or if he is injured after his mental control over his body is somehow broken.
- Cosmic Energy Manipulation: Phastos can project cosmic energy in the form of beams from his eyes or beams and flashes from his hands. This cosmic energy, stored in specialized enclaves of cells in his body, can be used as force, heat, light, and possibly other forms of electromagnetic energy. Phastos can project a maximum concussive force of at least 200 pounds per square inch. He can project heat of a maximum temperature of at least 2,000 Fahrenheit. It takes about one minute for him to attain this maximum temperature. Because Phastos' heat beams can vaporize solid objects, they are often called his disintegration beams, The maximum range for his energy beams is about 175 feet. The expenditure of cosmic energy in this way continually for several hours will temporarily deplete Phastos' physical strength, but not his resistance to injury, although it will temporarily increase his sensitivity to pain. He will rapidly return to normal after such lengthy energy expenditure is over.
- Flight: Phastos can levitate himself by mentally manipulating gravitons (subatomic particles carrying the force of gravitational attraction between atoms) around himself. He can also levitate other persons and objects, even while simultaneously levitating himself. Phastos is able to fly via self-levitation at approximately 600 miles per hour.
- Psionics: Phastos has low level psychic abilities. He can mentally create illusions so as to disguise himself. Phastos can also psionically manipulate atoms and molecules so as to transform an object's shape.
- Teleportation: Phastos can teleport himself psionically, but prefers not to do so, since, like other Eternals, he finds the self-teleportation process physically unpleasant.
- Immortality: He is unable to die by age and is resistant to diseases and toxins to an unknown degree.
Phastos is a genius level technologist, inventor and engineer who prides himself on being able to meet any challenge in his fields.
He can probably lift (press) at least about 25 tons (this differs from normal Eternal strength levels which are 15 tons). He can enhance this level by using his mental power.
Cosmic Manipulation Overuse: After using his manipulation powers for too long he becomes more susceptible to pain but not injury.
Phastos carries a weapon shaped like a hammer which fires bolts of cosmic energy. Its other purposes, if any, are unknown. Phastos also possesses many other advanced weapons of his own creation.
Teleportation and Levitation / Flight through psionics.
- 35 appearance(s) of Phastos (Earth-616)
- 1 mention(s) of Phastos (Earth-616)
- 39 image(s) of Phastos (Earth-616)
- 1 quotation(s) by or about Phastos (Earth-616)