Surge's mutant abilities cause her to constantly absorb ambient electricity. When this electricity builds up to dangerous levels, it can negatively affect her cognitive process and result in uncontrolled electrical discharges. This was somewhat regulated with the use of illicit drugs (most likely CNS depressants or mild sedatives).
To prevent the adverse effects of her mutant powers, Beast and Forge designed these special devices to help regulate Surge's power flow. When she reached a full charge, she could safely channel the energy.
Surge used the Power Gauntlets mk I, which only covered her hands and had large dials jutting out, for only a short while; possibly because they were prototypes.
Before the beginning of the next semester, Surge switched to the Power Gauntlets mk II, which were much larger, covered her entire forearms and were reportedly heavy.
Finally, after M-Day, Forge designed the sleeker Power Gauntlets mk III. Though they still covered her entire forearms, they are a much lighter weight. Surge has continued to use the mk III Power Gauntlets until the present time.
* Electrical Regulation: The Power Gauntlets allow Surge to regulate her absorption and release of ambient electricity.
- Communication: The Power Gauntlets can contact Forge, as all his creations are connected and "talk to each other".
- Surge used the Power Gauntlets mk I from New Mutants (Vol. 2) #10 until New Mutants (Vol. 2) #13, Power Gauntlets mk II from New X-Men (Vol. 2) #1 until New X-Men (Vol. 2) #16, and finally Power Gauntlets mk III from New X-Men (Vol. 2) #20 until the present.
- 81 appearance(s) of Power Gauntlets
- 1 minor appearance(s) of Power Gauntlets
- 83 image(s) of Power Gauntlets