According to Loki, the Progenitor was an Alpha Celestial who came to Earth four billion years ago after being infected by the Horde to die a sad and painful death. The Celestial's diseased body fluids seeped into the Earth and percolated through the planet's primeval surface, forever altering the Earth's evolutionary trajectory. Loki further claimed that this process constituted the primordial cause that gave rise to the superhuman abnormalities present in many of Earth's inhabitants. The Progenitor's corpse laid unmoved within the Arctic Circle, and its resting place became the bottom of the Arctic Ocean at the North Pole.
Also according to Loki, a Celestial known as Zgreb the Aspirant arrived on Earth one million years ago in search of the Progenitor. Zgreb found the Progenitor's corpse but it was infested by millions of Horde bugs that soon infected Zgreb. However, having learned from their experience with the Progenitor, this time the Horde bugs did not kill the Celestial but the infection deranged and weakened Zgreb. When its rampage brought it into conflict with the Avengers of the Stone Age, Zgreb had been weakened enough that the Avengers were able to defeat it and bury it deep underground in what would become the modern-day country of South Africa, bound by powerful spells. Once they noticed that two of their race were missing, the Celestial First Host came to Earth to investigate and easily defeated the Stone Age Avengers. The First Host subsequently found both Zgreb and the Progenitor's body but, for reasons of their own, left Earth without disturbing them.
In modern age, after Loki facilitated the arrival of the Final Host of Dark Celestials with the objective of purging the Earth, he captured Captain America, took him to the Progenitor's resting place and told him its story. Following the defeat of the Final Host at the hands of the reformed Avengers, the resurrected First Celestial Host brought forth the Progenitor from its watery grave and bestowed it upon the Avengers as a gift to serve as their new headquarters and a reminder of the wonders of life on Earth. The corpse was refurbished by the finest architects from Wakanda and technicians from Alpha Flight, turning it into the Avengers Mountain.
As soon as she discovered that the Progenitor's body had been transformed into Avengers Mountain, the Eternal Ajak became enraged that the body of one of her gods had been so defiled by the Avengers. Only the intervention of her comrade Makkari, who swiftly moved her 100 miles away, prevented Ajak from attacking Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes).
Mere days later, after an urgent need to learn the secret of the Deviants developed, Ajak, Makkari and two other Eternals infiltrated Avengers Mountain so that Ajak could attempt to commune with the mind of her dead god. At a place within the corpse where the ley lines congregated, Ajak and Makkari carried out a ritual that intrigued the ghost of the long-dead Progenitor enough to make it manifest before them. However, when the Progenitor's ghost refused to speak to her, Ajak summoned a special spiked-ball-and-chain flail capable of harming ghosts and began using it to bludgeon the ghost. After suffering some damage, the ghost finally spoke and what it told Ajak caused her to wish that she had hit it harder.
- Loki speculates the Progenitor and Zgreb might have been lovers, though there are no words for such things in the Celestial language.
- It is said that Earth was "insignificant and utterly lifeless" when the Progenitor fell and that the Progenitor started life on Earth. The story of the Demiurge is that Earth was a very special planet gifted with far more life energy than most; this energy became sentient and seeded Earth with its first lifeforms, the Elder Gods. The annotations section of History of the Marvel Universe (Vol. 2) #1 acknowledges both accounts and states that the Progenitor crashed before the Demiurge.
- 5 appearance(s) of Progenitor (Celestial) (Earth-616)
- 17 minor appearance(s) of Progenitor (Celestial) (Earth-616)
- 4 mention(s) of Progenitor (Celestial) (Earth-616)
- 10 image(s) of Progenitor (Celestial) (Earth-616)