When American businessman Howard Stark formed the paramilitary espionage organization known as S.H.I.E.L.D., former U.S. Army and C.I.A. Colonel Rick Stoner was appointed as the espionage agency's first public Executive Director.
In 1965, Rick Stoner was reported to have been killed by Hydra operatives during a mission. Years later, however, Stoner's replacement as Executive Director, Nick Fury, discovered that his predecessor never actually died, but was instead left for dead and abandoned by S.H.I.E.L.D.; seeking revenge on the espionage organization, Stoner, under the codename Fallen Angel, led Fury to a project based on Cosmic Cube power capable of creating a pocket reality accessible only to the S.H.I.E.L.D. Director. Both Fury and Fallen Angel fell through the portal opened to the Cosmic Cube's fabricated world, but Stoner died during the conflict.
- Rick Stoner first appeared in Fury #1, a special one-shot published in March 1994 with the purpose of clarifying the complex and messed up S.H.I.E.L.D. history; in such issue, Stoner was revealed to have been a superior of Nick Fury in the United States Army during World War II, as well as a ranking C.I.A. operative who worked alongside Canadian Special Services agent Logan in at least a circumstance, ultimately ending up being assassinated by Hydra agents. However, since the events of that one-shot have become outdated and unconciliable with the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616, Stoner's appearance has to be considered apochryphal.
- 2 appearance(s) of Rick Stoner (Earth-616)
- 1 minor appearance(s) of Rick Stoner (Earth-616)
- 4 mention(s) of Rick Stoner (Earth-616)
- 2 image(s) of Rick Stoner (Earth-616)