- His real name is Victor Mancha. He grew up...here in Los Angeles...Don't trust him. He's not who he says he is...I knew only you guys would understand...His father...is a villain from your time....the greatest evil...in the universe...
- -- Heroine
Appearing in "True Believers, Chapter One"
- Victor Mancha (First appearance)
- Jorge (Victor's friend) (First appearance)
- Excelsior (First appearance)
- Wrecking Crew
- Pride (Photo)
- Flag-Smasher (Mentioned)
- Batroc the Leaper (Mentioned)
- Rick Jones (Shadow only)
- Heroine (Gertrude Yorkes) (Only appearance; dies)
- Avengers (Mentioned)
- Victorious (Victor Mancha) (Mentioned)
- X-Men (Mentioned)
- Hisako Ichiki (Mentioned)
- Daredevil (Mentioned) (Deceased)
- Fantastic Fourteen (Mentioned)
- Iron Woman (Mentioned) (Deceased)
- Saddam Hussein (Mentioned) (Topical reference)
Races and Species:
- Earth-5421 (Mentioned)
- Staff of One
- Karolina's Medical Alert Bracelet
- Wrecker's Crowbar
- Thunderball's Ball and Chain
- Excavator's Shovel (First appearance)
- Chameleon Glamour Charm (First appearance) (Behind the scenes)
Synopsis for "True Believers, Chapter One"
Victor Mancha and his friend overhear a police dispatch, advising all units of a masked felony taking place downtown. The Wrecking Crew are robbing a bank, along with a new member, Piledriver’s son, Excavator. They are challenged by the female contingent of the Runaways, who inform them that, if they hand Excavator over, they’ll allow them to be on their way. The Wrecking Crew thinks they’re having a laugh, and a fight quickly breaks out. The Runaways make short work of the felons, but decide to leave Excavator for the cops after all. Gert thinks he’s a lost cause. Elsewhere, the inaugural meeting of Excelsior is taking place. It’s an outreach program that intends to assist teenage superheroes back into normal civilian life. The tutors are former New Warrior, Turbo, and Phil Urich, who briefly assumed the role of Green Goblin. The four assembled youths are Darkhawk, Julie Power, Ricochet and Chamber. As they introduce one another, Turbo takes a call from a mystery benefactor, who tells her that Excelsior will receive a million dollars if they bring in five runaways. Turbo asks them to keep talking. The Runaways return to their new home, under the La Brea Tar Pits Museum. There, the Yorkes’ old time machine begins to rumble, and a woman appears inside it. She claims to be Gertrude, only from the future. She warns of a villain called Victorious who has decimated their future, murdering all their heroes. She asks them to find him in this time, when still a boy called Victor Mancha and before his power becomes too much. She dies from her injuries in Chase’s arms, and Chase suggests they find Victor and rip his heart out.
It's an all-new beginning for the book that WIZARD calls "the best original concept from Marvel in thirty years!" When a group of teenagers discovers that their parents are actually super-villains, they run away from home...but that's only step one! Now that the evil Pride is gone, nearly every bad guy in the Marvel Universe is trying to fill the power vacuum in Los Angeles, and the Runaways are the only heroes who can stop them! Plus, what does the mysterious new team EXCELSIOR want with the Runaways, and which fan-favorite Marvel characters are part of this group? All this and many more surprises await a brand-new era of the most unpredictable comic on the stands.
- First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|