S.W.O.R.D. (an acronym for Sentient World Observation and Response Department) was a counter terrorism and intelligence agency which dealt with extraterrestrial threats to world security. S.W.O.R.D. was a subdivision of S.H.I.E.L.D. but appeared to be largely autonomous of its parent organization. Since the departure of Nick Fury as director of S.H.I.E.L.D., relations between the two organizations became strained.
The head of S.W.O.R.D was Special Agent Abigail Brand. Its primary command-and-control HQ was aboard the orbital space station known as the Peak. S.W.O.R.D. was known to have at least one undercover operative in the X-Mansion: Shadowcat's pet dragon, Lockheed.
When Ord of the Breakworld tried to declare war on Earth S.W.O.R.D. was able to settle with him diplomatically by offering him a chance to eradicate the mutant gene, while they would seek to identify the mutant that would be responsible for the Breakworld's destruction. However, Ord went on his own and developed a "cure" to the mutant condition, but he was defeated by the X-Men and apprehended by S.W.O.R.D.. S.W.O.R.D. then assisted the X-Men in stopping the Breakworldians from launching a missile aimed at Earth.
During the Skrulls' Secret Invasion of Earth, the Peak was destroyed by a Skrull infiltrator posing as Dum-Dum Dugan. This caused many agent casualties, though some, including Brand, were able to survive thanks to their advanced suit with life-support system but were stranded in space. Brand was able to infiltrate one of the Skrull's ships and freed Reed Richards which proved to instrumental in defeating the Skrulls.
Aliens Go Home
Henry Peter Gyrich was assigned as co-commander of S.W.O.R.D. alongside Brand, and persuaded the heads of S.W.O.R.D. to pass legislation to have all aliens currently living on Earth deported from the planet, while Brand was away.
The Apocalypse Twins then went on to damage the Peak, which forced the agents to evacuate. Following this, the debris of the Peak nearly destroyed Rio de Janeiro, but was safely vaporized by Sunfire.
Further Alien Threats
S.W.O.R.D. sent some teams to deal with the Brood threat in the Jean Grey School, but they ended up being killed. S.W.O.R.D. was then overtaken by Symbiote-possessed Brood which went on to infect other personnel of the organization. The Symbiote Imperium intended to infect Deathbird and her unborn child, before being defeated by the X-Men.
At an unknown point in time, S.W.O.R.D. was attacked by the Vescora, an alien race that acts like a virus given humanoid form. They were able to infiltrate the Peak thanks to a portal built within it and kill almost all of the agents, while the surviving ones were infected. As part for the Ten of Swords challenge, Cable and his parents entered the Peak where he used the Light of Galador to power it back up which also reopened the portal. They fought off the arriving Vescora before returning to Krakoa.
Transportation: S.W.O.R.D. Flying Car
- When Norman Osborn reformed S.H.I.E.L.D. as H.A.M.M.E.R., it was unknown what its relation was with the previously S.H.I.E.L.D. affiliated S.W.O.R.D..
- Before their creation, the S.W.O.R.D. acronym was briefly used by the Great Lakes Avengers, for whom it stood for; "Superhuman Warriors Operation Redistribution Division".
- A young hacker named Bryce was able to crack S.W.O.R.D.'s database.
- 37 Sentient World Observation and Response Department (Earth-616) Members
- 106 Appearances of Sentient World Observation and Response Department (Earth-616)
- 2 Minor Appearances of Sentient World Observation and Response Department (Earth-616)
- 31 Media Sentient World Observation and Response Department (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 25 Images that include Sentient World Observation and Response Department (Earth-616)
- Organization Gallery: Sentient World Observation and Response Department (Earth-616)