- Paradise unearned is but a land of shadow!
Appearing in "Origin of the Silver Surfer!"
- Silver Surfer (Norrin Radd) (Main story and flashback) (Origin revealed)
- Shalla-Bal (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- US Air Force
- Col. John Jameson
- "Blue Leader"
- "Batboy Brigade" (Mentioned)
- "Mudhawks" (Mentioned)
- "Den Mother" (Mentioned)
- USSR leaders
- Unnamed commissar
- Unnamed general
- People's Republic of China military
- Chairman Mao (Mentioned)
- Unnamed Zenn-Lavians (Only in flashback)
- NYPD (Only in flashback)
- Doctor Doom's henchmen (Only in flashback)
- Mr. Fantastic (Only in flashback)
- Invisible Girl (Only in flashback)
- Thing (Only in flashback)
Races and Species:
- Zenn-Lavians (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Humans (Main story and flashback)
- Unnamed primitive species (Only in flashback)
- Zenn-La (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Zenn-La Museum of Antiquity (Only in flashback)
- Unnamed planets (Only in flashback)
- Fourth Dimension (Mentioned) (Only in flashback)
- Zenn-Lavian Items (Only in flashback)
- Mental Transportation Element (Only in flashback)
- Study-Cubes (Only in flashback)
- Cyberno-Materializer (Only in flashback)
- Weapon Supreme (Only in flashback)
- Mental-Constructor (Only in flashback)
- Silver Surfer's Surfboard (Main story and flashback)
- Zenn-Lavian Vehicles (Only in flashback)
- Star Ships (Only in flashback)
- Norrin Radd's Space Ship (Only in flashback)
- Galactus' Star Sphere (Only in flashback)
- Zenn-La History (Depiction from the Museum of Antiquity) (Only in flashback)
- Ultimate Beginning
- Age of Warfare
- Golden Age of Reason
- Age of Space Travel
Synopsis for "Origin of the Silver Surfer!"
As the Silver Surfer is flying over the Earth, he spots a space capsule crashing into the ocean. He finds the craft at the bottom of the ocean, blasts open the door, and brings the unconscious Col. John Jameson out of the water and safely on to a nearby aircraft carrier. The servicemen think that the Surfer is a threat and jets are sent after him. He easily speeds away from them, as well as the Russian and Chinese missiles that are shot at him as he passes over their countries.
Tired of being banished on Earth, the Surfer longs to be able to return to his home planet Zenn-La. He remembers Zenn-La, an advanced planet that had achieved perfection through their technology. All war, crime, and illness had been eradicated. Before he was the Silver Surfer, he was Norrin Radd. While most of his fellow citizens were happy with their life on this nirvana, Norrin was bored and restless.
Back to present, the Surfer runs into a group of Yetis that instantly attack him. Instead of fighting back and hurting them, he distracts them with his surfboard and escapes unnoticed. This attack reminds of his first encounters with the Hulk and Doctor Doom. Both attacked him in the past even though he approached them as friends. He comes across the ruins of a once prosperous city and only finds desolation. This scene reminds of his last days on Zenn-La.
Norrin was with his beloved, Shalla-Bal, when the citizens' alarm sounded and an announcement was made. A gigantic alien spacecraft was headed for Zenn-La and the planet, being peaceful, had little left to defend itself from this potentially hostile stranger. Zenn-La's only option was to use the Weapon Supreme, a weapon so powerful that it destroyed much of the planet's buildings when it was fired at the approaching spacecraft. Unfortunately, the alien ship took refuge in the fourth dimension as the weapon was being fired and only the planet itself suffered from using it.
While most Zenn-Lavians felt all was lost, Norrin was determined to try and save his planet. He found a member of the council of scientists and had him build Norrin a spaceship that could reach the alien spacecraft. He arrived at the spacecraft to meet Galactus, devourer of worlds! Norrin made a deal with Galactus to save Zenn-La. He agreed and became the Silver Surfer, Herald of Galactus. While Zenn-La would survive, Norrin must leave and help find other planets for Galactus to eat for the rest of his life. He bid farewell to Shalla-Bal and soared off into space, all alone.
The Surfer started off by finding Galactus only planets that were free of living creatures for him to eat. But as the years went by, his vigilance to save innocent life faltered and he lead Galactus to Earth. He soon regretted this decision and fought back with the Fantastic Four to prevent the planet from being eaten. Galactus agreed to leave Earth but banished the Surfer to the planet, no longer able to roam the galaxies. Tired of this hostile planet and missing outer space, the Silver Surfer wonders where his destiny lies.
Appearing in "The Wonder of the Watcher!"
- Watchers (Main story and flashback)
- Unnamed doctors
- Unnamed neighbors of the Prosilicans
Races and Species:
- Milky Way
- Unnamed galaxy
Synopsis for "The Wonder of the Watcher!"
The Watcher observes a team of doctors attempting to save a patient in the emergency room. The patient dies, and the doctor laments the fact that humanity does not have the technology and ability to save everyone. The Watcher also laments the fact that he cannot intervene. In a long flashback, the Watcher details why he and his race cannot interfere in the affairs of other races. Many eons ago when the Milky Way was still forming, the Watcher's race was already ancient. In possession of technology far more advanced than any other race in the galaxy, the Watcher's people are in disagreement: find other races and lift them up from their primitive excistence or pursue a policy of noninterference. The Watcher's father, Ikor, supports the former policy and Emnu, a rival, supports the latter. Ultimately, Ikor's side wins out and their race travels the stars, finding a planet called Prosilicus. The Prosilicans are given the gift of unlimited atomic energy and are left to their own devices. Advancing thousands of years in just a short time, some of the Prosilicans choose to create offensive weapons and attack a nearby planet. In an act of mutually assured destruction, the other planet sends its own nuclear attack at Prosilicus. Both are quickly destroyed. Confronted by a Prosilican crawling from the rubble of his destroyed planet, the Watcher and his father resolve to stay out of the affairs of other species.
- The Silver Surfer was instantly attacked by the armies of three different countries. This was probably due to the fact that the last time the world saw the Surfer was when he was attacking it in Fantastic Four #72.
- This is the first time that the Silver Surfer mentions his home planet, Zenn-La, his real name, Norrin Radd, and his beloved, Shalla-Bal. Since it is mentioned in future issues that Galactus had suppressed the Surfer's memories so that we would stay loyal, it can be assumed that being banished on Earth (and separated from Galactus' influence) has let some of his stronger past memories get by this mental barrier.
- The Silver Surfer starts by finding only planets without life for Galactus to eat. However, over the years it appears that the Surfer's vigilance to preserve all forms of life falters and this is why he led Galactus to Earth. In future issues, it is confirmed that the Surfer's conscious was altered by Galactus in order to be a more loyal herald.
- "The Wonder of the Watcher" story is adapted from the story "The Way It Began" from Tales of Suspense #53 (May 1964).
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Silver Surfer Vol 1 1 on the forums
- 3 Images from Silver Surfer Vol 1 1
- 2 Reprints of Silver Surfer Vol 1 1
Links and References
- The Grand Comics Database: Silver Surfer Vol 1 
|Like this? Let us know!|