Appearing in "The Flame and the Fury!"
- Fantastic Four
- United States Army
- Sam (First appearance)
- Spider-Man (Peter Parker) (Recap)
- Overlord (Rakkhal) (Recap)
- Stranger (Recap)
- Mephisto (Recap)
- Galactus (Galan) (Recap)
- Invisible Girl (Sue Richards) (Recap)
Races and Species:
Synopsis for "The Flame and the Fury!"
The Silver Surfer seeks out the Fantastic Four to help him get past Galactus' barrier. When he arrives at the Baxter Building he finds them agreeing to help the military get the Surfer. He leaves in anger and the Human Torch pursues him. The two battle through the city and only when the Torch gets injured does the Surfer calm down. He finds out that the army only wanted him to help them with their space program and he leaves in disgrace.
Once more deciding to become part of humanity, the Silver Surfer goes to a tailor to get a set of clothing. Upon entering the store, the salesman is shocked to see the Surfer and starts to run away. Only after the Surfer seals the doors does he agree to help the him find him the perfect outfit. As he's being measured, he reflects on his recent adventures and recalls his and the Fantastic Four's battle against Galactus. The Surfer decides that he should contact the Fantastic Four to see if there is anything that they can do to help him get past the barrier that Galactus has erected.
As he arrives at the Baxter Building, the Surfer overhears the Fantastic Four agreeing to help the military get the Silver Surfer. Mr. Fantastic notices the Surfer eavesdropping at the window and grabs him. He quickly shocks him with the power cosmic and, believing himself to have been betrayed, the Surfer flees with the Human Torch in hot pursuit.
The two battle across the city, however the Surfer eventually overpowers the Torch and knocks him unconscious. Seeing Johnny fall on to the subway tracks shocks him out of his rage. The Surfer recuses him from an oncoming train, but hides when the military arrives on the scene. The Surfer overhears the Torch tell the military that they were trying to contact the Surfer to get him to help them with their space program, not to take him prisoner. The Surfer, ashamed of his actions, departs.
Everyone's been asking for a battle between our silvery sky-rider and our fiery flame-master -- so here's the Surfer versus the Human Torch!
- This is the first time that the Silver Surfer refers to the Fantastic Four as "the first four humans to have ever befriended" him. Later on, the idea of the Surfer being an adopted member of the FF family becomes more prevalent.
- This issue was reprinted in July 2007 as a mini comic and came packaged with a Marvel-branded DVD.
- The Who Speaks for the Surfer? letter column has letters published from Martin O'Hearn, Tom Oberlin, Michael Susko Jr, "The Peacemaker", Center of Medieval and Renaissance Studies, Nils Osmar, and Duane Stice.
- Silver Surfer Omnibus #1 - Collects the entire run of Silver Surfer Vol 1
- Fantastic Four #72 and Fantastic Four #74 - Other early meet ups between the Human Torch and the Silver Surfer
The story references:
- Silver Surfer #14 - The Silver Surfer vs. Spider-Man
- Silver Surfer #6 - The Silver Surfer vs. Overlord
- Silver Surfer #5 - The Silver Surfer vs. the Stranger
- Silver Surfer #3 - The Silver Surfer vs. Mephisto
- Fantastic Four #50 - The Silver Surfer vs. Galactus
Links and References
- Chris (30 Jun 2013). Silver Surfer #15: Battling The Human Torch. Ridiculously Awesome. Retrieved on 10 Dec 2019.
- Grand Comics Database. Silver Surfer #15. Grand Comics Database. Retrieved on 9 Oct 2021.
- unknown (27 Jan 2013). The Flame, The Fury, The Foregone Conclusion. The Peerless Power of Comics!. Retrieved on 17 Dec 2019.