Appearing in "The Surfer Must Kill!"
- Fantastic Four
- Iron Man (Tony Stark)
Races and Species:
- Attilan (Cameo)
Synopsis for "The Surfer Must Kill!"
Before doing Mephisto's bidding, the Silver Surfer tries to find where he has hidden Shalla-Bal. Unable to locate her, he accepts the fact that he has to destroy S.H.I.E.L.D. to save her. S.H.I.E.L.D. stops the Surfer's initial attack. However, when he realizes that Mephisto was trying to get him to mistakenly kill Shalla-Bal during the assault, the Surfer directs his aggression towards Mephisto instead. They battle, Shalla-Bal disappears, and the Silver Surfer is forced to leave.
Mephisto has given the Silver Surfer an ultimatum: destroy S.H.I.E.L.D., or lose Shalla-Bal forever. Knowing that Mephisto has hidden Shalla-Bal somewhere on Earth, the Surfer searches the planet to try and find her. However, his quest turns up empty.
Meanwhile, Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. frantically try to find out who is the mysterious person that has been streaking across the skies. Reed Richards helps him deduct that it is the Silver Surfer and Tony Stark creates a weapon for Fury to use against the Surfer. In the middle of this chaos, Mephisto secretly replaces a receptionist at S.H.I.E.L.D. with Shalla-Bal in the hopes that the Surfer will kill her along while he attacks the rest of S.H.I.E.L.D.
The Surfer, knowing that he has no other choice, travels to S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters and attacks, resolving to only destroy the S.H.I.E.L.D. base and not take any lives. Meanwhile, S.H.I.E.L.D. has been given Z-Gas, by Tony Stark, as a means of counter attacking the Surfer. They are able to stop him by knocking him out with the Z-Gas and then locking him up in a cell.
The Surfer awakens to find himself imprisoned. However, through the window he sees Mephisto with Shalla-Bal. Realizing that he hid her here in hopes that the Surfer would unknowingly harm her during his attack of S.H.I.E.L.D., he believes that Mephisto had violated their agreement. The Surfer breaks loose and attacks Mephisto, who makes Shalla-Bal disappear. After a brief battle with the Surfer, Mephisto makes his retreat and the Surfer makes his escape as he is doused with more Z-Gas. Although he is able to get away, the Silver Surfer eventually falls victim to the gas and crashes in the hidden realm of the Inhumans.
How can the Surfer defeat Nick Fury and all the fighting forces of S.H.I.E.L.D.--before unholy Mephisto triumphs at last?
- The Who Speaks for the Surfer? letter column has letters published from: Jamie Ladd, Chris Daria, Michael Susko Jr, Dale Shuman, Hank Dancer, W. Matthew, David, Oira, and Bruno.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Silver Surfer Vol 1 17 on the forums
- 2 Images from Silver Surfer Vol 1 17
- 3 Reprints of Silver Surfer Vol 1 17
- Silver Surfer #3, Silver Surfer #8 to Silver Surfer #9, and Silver Surfer #16 - More Mephisto vs Silver Surfer stories
- Silver Surfer Vol 2 #1 - Next appearance of Mephisto in a Silver Surfer comic
- Silver Surfer Omnibus #1 - Collects the entire run of Silver Surfer Vol 1
Links and References
- Chris (01 Jul 2013). Silver Surfer #16-17. Ridiculously Awesome. Retrieved on 12 Dec 2019.
- unknown (01 Jul 2013). We're Fresh Out of Epics. The Peerless Power of Comics!. Retrieved on 17 Dec 2019.
|Like this? Let us know!|