Appearing in "Masques!"
- Kree Empire
- Skrull Empire
- Kree Empire
- Aptak (Corpse)
- Contemplator (Tath Ki) (Corpse)
- Captain Reptyl (Mentioned)
- Galactus (Galan) (Mentioned)
- Elders of the Universe (Mentioned)
- Grandmaster (En Dwi Gast) (Mentioned)
- Death (Mentioned)
- Eternity (Mentioned)
- Mantis Brandt (Mentioned)
- Mantis' child (Mentioned)
- Empress R'Kill (Mentioned)
- Silver Surfer (Cameo) (Impersonated by the Skrull, Bartak)
Races and Species:
Synopsis for "Masques!"
Ronan the Accuser stops a plot to assassinate Supreme Leader Nenora. She sends him to find and accuse the Silver Surfer for his perceived attacks on the Kree Empire. Meanwhile, she sends Emperor Kylor's fleet into a death trap in order to keep her secret, that she is really a Skrull, safe. Ronan tracks down the Surfer and Nova, but is quickly defeated. The Surfer and Nova leave to find out who has been impersonating him. Nenora's trap works and Emperor Kylor is destroyed. Empress S'Byll is pleased to hear that a rival for the Skrull Emipre has departed and she sends an agent to the Earth for a secret mission.
Three mutinous Kree colonels try to assassinate Nenora, but are intercepted and eliminated by Ronan the Accuser. Ronan then goes to Nenora who charges him with going out and accusing the Silver Surfer, whom she believes attacked a Kree outpost (unaware that it is an impostor.) After dispatching Ronan, Nenora contacts Emperor Kylor and sets a trap for him by getting him to believe in a planned Skrull ambush of a Kree space fleet. Little does he suspect that Nenora is killing off all of those who know here true identity, that she is really a Skrull in disguise.
Meanwhile within the Coalsack, the Silver Surfer and Nova find the head of the Contemplator floating in space and realize that Captain Reptyl had killed the man who sought asylum in his realm. With another of the Elders eliminated, the Surfer and Nova realize that the task that Galactus gave them has been completed. The Surfer takes a moment to be alone in the Coalsack to mourn the loss of Mantis. He also decides to go to Earth and find the child of Mantis.
Exiting the Coalsack, Nova wants to stop at the nearest civilized planet for a drink before parting ways. They arrive on a Kree-controlled world where the Surfer is revered as almost a god, because he spared it back when he was a herald of Galactus. However, the two are shocked to find the people of this planet flee from him in fear. Things get worse when Ronan appears and attacks the Surfer for his "crimes" against the Kree empire. After a battle, the Surfer easily incapacitates Ronan and he flees the planet with Nova. The Surfer believes that someone is impersonating him and is determined to find out who it is.
Elsewhere in space, Emperor Kylor and his fleet arrive for their "ambush" to find that it's really a trap and they are easily destroyed by the Kree space fleet. With Kylor and his men dead, Nenora can continue her quest for power as ruler of the Kree. On Santriani, Empress S'Byll, another Skrull vying for control of the Skrull empire, hears of Kylor's death and sends one of her men to Earth for a secret mission.
Finally, the Surfer and Nova track down his impostor to a desolate world where they are surprised to see an exact replica of the Silver Surfer waiting for them.
The Silver Surfer – a ruthless killer? That’s what the galaxy thinks. And the only way the Surfer can clear his name is by bringing his evil twin to justice!
- The Blue Kree general in command of the fleet that seemingly killed the Skrull Emperor Kylor went unnamed until his victory was mentioned in a later issue. 
- Musician Joe Satriani had the Silver Surfer on the cover of his 1987 album, "Surfing with the Alien." The Skrull world, Satriani, is most likely an homage to the guitarist. 
- The "Bulletin Board" letter column has letters published from: Robinson Norman, Matt Hartman, Howard Kidd, Quentin Sinclair, and Tony D'Antonio.
- As reported by Marvel: this issue was the seventh best-selling direct sales title for the publisher during the month that it was released. 
- Essential Series: Silver Surfer #2
- Epic Collection: Silver Surfer #3
The story references:
- Silver Surfer (Vol. 3) #11 - The Silver Surfer agreeing to a truce with the Kree Empire.
- Silver Surfer (Vol. 3) #10 - Galactus eating the Elders of the Universe.
- West Coast Avengers Annual #2 and Avengers Annual #16 - The Grandmaster freeing the Elder's from the spectre of Death.
Links and References
- Bibliomancer (9 Jul 2015). Essential Silver Surfer: Silver Surfer #13: MASQUES!. The Bibliomancer. Retrieved on 6 Sep 2021.
- Englehart, Steve. Silver Surfer 1-20. Steve Englehart: Books, Film, Comics, Games.... Retrieved on 21 Feb 2021.
- Grand Comics Database. Silver Surfer #13. Grand Comics Database. Retrieved on 6 Sep 2021.