Appearing in "Heaven"
- Elders of the Universe
- Kree Empire
- Skrull Empire
- Contemplator (Skrull imposter) (First appearance) (Vision)
- Gardener (Ord Zyonz) (Vision)
- Grandmaster (En Dwi Gast) (Vision)
- Possessor (Kamo Tharnn) (Vision)
- Matani (Resurrection) (Death)
- Avengers (Mentioned)
- West Coast Avengers (Mentioned)
- Shalla-Bal (Mentioned)
- Son of God (Mentioned)
- God (Mentioned)
- Captain Mar-Vell (Mentioned)
- Supreme Intelligence (Mentioned)
- Mantis Brandt (Cameo)
Races and Species:
- Contest of Champions (Mentioned)
Synopsis for "Heaven"
The Silver Surfer tracks down the Collector to determine his involvement in the Elder's schemes. He denies any involvement and the Surfer leaves him with a warning. Meanwhile, a Kree and Skrull spaceship engage each other in battle. The Kree disable the Skrull ship, but are surprised to find that the Skrulls killed themselves rather than get captured. As the Surfer continues to search for clues regarding the Elder's plans, he comes into confrontation with the Elder known as the Runner. The Runner overpowers him and sends the Surfer crashing into a nearby planet.
The Collector has returned to his home following the Grandmasters plot to make all the Elders of the Universe immortal. There he finds his wife Matani has been resurrected, however her apathy and lack of desire to live allows her to die once more. Just then Silver Surfer bursts in to question the Collector over the Elder's plot involving the current Kree/Skrull war and his role in the Grandmasters final part of the Contest of Champions. When he becomes aware that Espirita is still aboard the Collectors ship, he agrees to take her back to Earth. Before departing he promises the Collector that he will get to the bottom of their plot. After the Surfer's departure, the Collector reports in to the Champion to report about his encounter with the Silver Surfer, unaware that a sentient plant listens to his message quietly.
As the Surfer takes Espirita home to Earth, deep in space a Kree military fleet comes across a Skrull ship. These are the Skrulls who had been kicked off Zenn-La and when they spot the Kree ship they lock in battle. However, when the Skrull ship is disabled in combat, the Skrulls on board detonate their bodies so that their enemies do not learn that the Skrull's have lost their ability to shape shift.
Returning to the space-ways alone, the Silver Surfer contemplates over the plot the Elders of the Universe are planning. He is attacked by yet another of their number: The Runner. The Runner is intent on killing the Silver Surfer and, while the Surfer puts up a valiant effort to defend himself, he is easily defeated by the Runner. The Surfer is sent crashing down to an unknown world where he is left for dead. Close to the brink of death itself, the Surfer is found by Mantis.
The Silver Surfer faces Espirita, the Collector, and the Runner from the Elders of the Universe in a galaxy-shaking tie-in with The Avengers Annual #16 and West Coast Avengers Annual #2! And the confrontation leads the Silver Surfer into his first battle in the dread Kree/Skrull War! Face it, this one has it all!
- The first part of this issue's story is continued from Avengers Annual Vol 1 16.
- Silver Surfer's appearances in West Coast Avengers Annual Vol 1 2 and Avengers Annual Vol 1 16 were originally planned to come after Silver Surfer Vol 3 5. However, since the series debut was delayed, the two annuals actually bookended the third issue instead. The story had to be adjusted in order for the continuity to be synchronized with the publishing.
- The letter column for the first three issues was reserved for a retelling of the history of the Silver Surfer by Steve Englehart.
- As reported by Marvel: this issue was the third best-selling direct sales title for the publisher during the month that it was released, just behind Uncanny X-Men Vol 1 221 and X-Factor Vol 1 20. 
- Essential Series: Silver Surfer #2
- Epic Collection: Silver Surfer #3
The story references:
- West Coast Avengers Annual #2 and Avengers Annual #16 - The Avengers battling the Grandmaster in the Realm of Death
- Silver Surfer (Vol. 3) #1 - The Champion attacking the Silver Surfer
- Silver Surfer (Vol. 3) #2 - The Silver Surfer leaving Shalla Bal and Zenn-La
- West Coast Avengers (Vol. 2) #20 to West Coast Avengers (Vol. 2) #23 - Espirita's ancestors
- Defenders #143 - The first appearance of the Runner
Links and References
- Derman, Matt (10 September 2015). 1987 And All That: Silver Surfer #1-6. CBR.com. Retrieved on 21 Feb 2021.
- Englehart, Steve. Silver Surfer 1-20. Steve Englehart: Books, Film, Comics, Games.... Retrieved on 21 Feb 2021.
- Grand Comics Database. Silver Surfer #3. Grand Comics Database. Retrieved on 5 Mar 2021.
- Shayer, Jason (21 October 2010). 1987 - Silver Surfer. Marvel Comics of the 1980s. Retrieved on 21 Feb 2021.
|Like this? Let us know!|