Appearing in "...Even Demigods Must Dream!"
Races and Species:
Synopsis for "...Even Demigods Must Dream!"
The Silver Surfer decides to rest on a desert planet. He starts to dream and finds himself in the Realm of Death. He learns that Death is concerned by an imbalance within the universe and she has resurrected Thanos to correct this problem. She states that only the Surfer can stop Thanos' plan and so he attacks him, sending the Surfer hurtling out of the Hall of Death. The Surfer finds himself surrounded by aliens and is attacked by a monstrous alien that he mistook for an infant. He wakes from his sleep, wondering if it was all a dream but surprised to see Thanos behind him.
The Silver Surfer arrives at a desolate, unnamed planet to sleep for the first time in years. He has a dream of a large structure shaped like a skull and he enters it to investigate. There are two creatures carrying a chest past him, seemingly not noticing his existence. Surfer realizes that he is in the domicile of Mistress Death. Death orders her lackeys to open the chest and the spirit of Thanos emerges.
Surfer has never encountered Thanos before, but he recognizes the Mad Titan as being a malignant evil.
Mistress Death does not speak directly to Thanos, rather choosing to speak through her undead minions. She wishes him to correct an imbalance within the universe that threatens all of existence. Thanos promises to do as she desires, professing that he served her in the past and continues to serve her. One of Death's minions questions Thanos' ability to carry out her request, since he has failed in the past. However, by dying, Thanos has reached a new plateau and Death sees that his success is inevitable.
Death notes that there is one obstacle that can still thwart his plans and everyone turns to stare at the Silver Surfer, who is apparently clearly visible. Thanos declares that the Surfer is nothing and blasts him out of the Hall of Death, inflicting on him a pain that he has never felt before.
Outside, the planet is overrun by a vast crowd of aliens, all seeming to be of differing races and all staring at a distant volcano. The Silver Surfer notices that a baby has been thrown into the volcano and he rushes in to save its life. He is able to save the infant, but is horrified to see the baby change into a monstrous creature that engulfs him.
We wakes up to silence and isolation and wonders if any of the events that he just experienced were truly real. Suddenly, he hears a voice behind him and he turns to face Thanos.
Jim Starlin debuts as the new regular scripter! And his first story features… the return of Thanos!
- The In-Betweener insulted Death by forcing her to appear and kill three Elders of the Universe (the Trader, the Possessor, and the Astronomer) during their attack on Galactus. 
- Thanos died when Adam Warlock used the Soul Gem to turn him into stone, thus failing to destroy all the stars in universe for his Mistress Death. 
- The Silver Surfer escaped Galactus' barrier around Earth with the help of the Thing and the Fantastic Four. 
- The title's logo design changes with this issue. It now resembles the logo that was used for Silver Surfer (Vol. 2) #1 and Silver Surfer: Judgment Day #1.
- "The Cosmic Pipeline" letter column has letters published from: Kevin Hall, Timothy Willis, John Leadbeater, and Dave Moore.
The story references:
- Silver Surfer (Vol. 3) #17 - When the In-Betweener forced Death to take the lives of some of the Elders of the Universe.
Links and References
- ComicBookWire (11 February 2020). Classic Review: Silver Surfer- Rebirth of Thanos. ComicBookWire. Retrieved on 2 Nov 2021.
- Grand Comics Database. Silver Surfer Vol 1 34. Grand Comics Database. Retrieved on 2 Nov 2021.
- Huddleston, Mike (19 March 2015). The Return Of Thanos: Silver Surfer 34-38. Comic Book Daily. Retrieved on 21 Feb 2021.
- SuperMegaMonkey (1 February 1990). Silver Surfer Vol 1 34-35. Comics Chronology. Retrieved on 21 Feb 2021.