- To master the void, I became the void!
Appearing in "Obliteration!"
- Silver Surfer (Norrin Radd) (Main story and flashback) (Recap)
- Obliterator (Maht Pacle)
- Skrull Empire
- Kree Empire
- Elders of the Universe (Mentioned)
- Galactus (Galan) (Mentioned)
- Gammenon the Gatherer (Only in flashback)
- R'Kill (Invoked)
- Supremor (Mentioned)
- Shalla Bal (Mentioned)
- Alicia Masters (Recap)
- Death (Mentioned)
Races and Species:
- Zenn-Lavians (Main story and flashback) (Recap)
- Homo sapiens (Main story and flashback)
- Celestials (Main story and flashback)
- Skrulls (Main story and flashback)
- Deviants (Vision)
- Eternals (Vision)
- Latents (Vision)
- Dire Wraiths (Vision)
- Power Cosmic (Main story and flashback) (Recap)
- Silver Surfer's Surfboard (Main story and flashback)
- Skrull Deathship (Main story and flashback)
- Speeder (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Obliteration!"
The Obliterator tracks down the Silver Surfer and Mantis in order to kill them before they can try and stop the Elder's plans. They escape him, but eventually have to confront him again when he tracks them down a second time. The Obliterator vaporizes Mantis, but his attack is thwarted when the Surfer destroys all his weapons. Mantis returns in a new plant body and the Obliterator agrees to reveal the Elder's plan to the heroes. Meanwhile, the Skrulls being a second war with the Kree.
The Obliterator has tracked down the Silver Surfer and Mantis near the Crab Nebula with the intent of destroying them so they do not thwart the Elder's plan to destroy Galactus. The Surfer manages to strand the Obliterator on a nearby planet, thus allowing them to escape him. However, they realize that they need to stop the Elder's plan for the sake of the entire universe.
Meanwhile on the Skrull world of Tarakar, Emperor Kylor tries to deal with the fact that Jemiah the Analyzer stands watch over his world. When trying to get direct answers from the Celestial fails, Kylor decides instead to have it attacked. However, none of the weapons they throw at the cosmic being have any effect. At the same time, the Kree army sends in one of their spies to Tarakar to determine the current status of the Skrull Empire. This plan fails when the Skrull bio-detectors betray his presence and he is captured by the Skrull authorities.
The Silver Surfer and Mantis find refuge on a nearby planet, but are soon attacked again by the Obliterator. During their fight, Mantis is seemingly killed which prompts the Surfer to lash out. Unable to kill the Elder, the Surfer instead uses his power cosmic to convert the Obliterators weapons into harmless devices. Trapped on the planet and unable to fulfill his obsession to kill, he falls over in defeat and agrees to tell everything he knows about the Elder's plan. Mantis turns out to be still alive, having switched to a new plant body prior to her old bodies destruction.
As the two rejoice over Mantis' safe return and their victory over the Obliterator, Emperor Kylor has sent out a fleet of his Skrull army to attack the Kree and begin the second Kree-Skrull War.
For five billion years the Elder of the Universe Obliterator has been annihilating galaxies. Now his sights are set on the Silver Surfer and Mantis!
- The Silver Surfer mentions that he had been a herald to Galactus for "centuries." Before this, it was assumed that his time as herald was much shorter. This was based on the reply in a letter column of Silver Surfer Vol 1 where it was reported that he had been herald for only a few years. 
- The "Bulletin Board" letter column has letters published from: Kevin Little, Frank Balkin, Fred DeBoom, Jason Brownlee, Robert Felberg, and Johnny Taylor.
- As reported by Marvel: this issue was the fifth best-selling direct sales title for the publisher during the month that it was released, just behind X-Men Annual Vol 1 11, Uncanny X-Men Vol 1 223, Punisher Vol 2 4, and X-Factor Vol 1 22. 
- Essential Series: Silver Surfer #2
- Epic Collection: Silver Surfer #3
The story references:
- Silver Surfer (Vol. 3) #4 - The Silver Surfer and Mantis escaping Ego and the Elders
- Silver Surfer (Vol. 3) #1 - The Silver Surfer fighting the Champion
- Silver Surfer (Vol. 3) #2 - The Silver Surfer and Shalla Bal moving apart
- Fantastic Four #49 - Alicia Masters reawakening the Silver Surfer's humanity
- Avengers Annual #16 - The Grandmaster beating Death so that the Elders could be immortal
Links and References
- Derman, Matt (10 September 2015). 1987 And All That: Silver Surfer #1-6. CBR.com. Retrieved on 21 Feb 2021.
- Englehart, Steve. Silver Surfer 1-20. Steve Englehart: Books, Film, Comics, Games.... Retrieved on 21 Feb 2021.
- Grand Comics Database. Silver Surfer #5. Grand Comics Database. Retrieved on 16 Mar 2021.
- Shayer, Jason (21 October 2010). 1987 - Silver Surfer. Marvel Comics of the 1980s. Retrieved on 21 Feb 2021.
|Like this? Let us know!|