Appearing in "Doomsday"
- Elders of the Universe
- Contemplator (Impersonated by a Skrull) (Astral Form)
- Astronomer (Seginn Gallio)
- Grandmaster (En Dwi Gast)
- Gardener (Ord Zyonz)
- Trader (Cort Zo Tinnus)
- Runner (Gilpetperdon)
- Possessor (Kamo Tharnn)
- Collector (Taneleer Tivan)
- Champion (Tryco Slatterus)
- Obliterator (Maht Pacle) (Mentioned)
- Ego (Egros) (Mentioned)
- Kree Empire (Mentioned)
- Thanos (Mentioned)
- Eternity (Mentioned)
- Death (Earth-616) (Mentioned)
Races and Species:
Synopsis for "Doomsday"
The Elders of the Universe hold Mantis and Shalla-Bal hostage until the Silver Surfer brings them the remaining Soul Gem. The Surfer agrees to their bargain, but is forced into action when the Grandmaster sends the two women hurtling through space trapped in a ball of energy. He is able to free them from the trap, but this act initiates an explosion from which the Surfer is only able to save Shalla-Bal. The Surfer returns to the Elders for revenge, but instead helps Nova save Galactus from their lethal weapon by exploding a sun and creating a black hole. Galactus saves them from the black hole and promises his own revenge against the Elders.
The Elders of the Universe have built a device which they intend to use with their collection of Soul Gems to destroy Galactus. All that is left is for them to find the Silver Surfer, who has the remaining gem. The Surfer is informed by the Gardener that they are holding both Shalla-Bal and Mantis hostage and that he should bring his gem to their present location near the Cone Nebula. When the Surfer arrives he turns over the Soul Gem in exchange for the women's freedom. However, the Grandmaster quickly sends the women away in a ball of energy which threatens to explode if touched. The Surfer quickly chases down the ball of energy and frees them from their confines. Unfortunately, the Surfer only has time to grab one of them and, although he also reached out to save Mantis, he ends up only pulling Shalla-Bal free. Mantis is seemingly killed in the explosion.
The Surfer drops Shalla-Bal off some place safe before getting heading back to get his revenge against the Elders. Meanwhile, the Elders have confronted Galactus and Nova and begin activating their device with the intent to kill the world devourer. The device is activated towards Galactus, which begins slowly killing him.
The Surfer arrives and, with the help of Nova, they make a nearby sun collapse and turn into a black hole. As the energy from the explosion recharges Galactus, the black hole sucks in the Soul Gems as well as the Possessor, Trader, and Astronomer. With Galactus back at full strength, he saves the remaining Elders, Nova, and the Surfer and intends to get his revenge against what's left of the Elders.
Can even the Elders of the Universe destroy Galactus? And if they can, will the universe survive?
- This isn't the first time the Silver Surfer has been in a black hole. During his time as Galactus' herald, the Surfer traveled through a black hole to see what was on the other side. 
- The Silver Surfer mentions that "centuries" have passed since he became Galactus' herald.
- It is mentioned that the Silver Surfer and Shalla-Bal saw each other only four times after the Surfer left Zenn-La to become Galactus' herald. It was actually five times and most weren't substantial interactions.
- The first was when Mephisto brought her to Earth, but they only talked briefly with each other before she was sent back to Zenn-La. 
- The second was when she flew to Earth, but she was knocked unconscious before they saw each other and was sent back home. 
- The third was when Mephisto brought Shalla-Bal back to Earth, but she was in a trance the entire time and didn't notice the Surfer. 
- The fourth time was when Mephisto sent her to Latveria with an erased memory, so neither she or the Surfer knew what was going on. 
- Lastly, was when the Surfer found out that Shalla-Bal really was in Latveria, but wasn't able to see her for that long before Mephisto sent her back again to Zenn-La. 
- As reported by Marvel: this issue was the seventh best-selling direct sales title for the publisher during the month that it was released. 
- Essential Series: Silver Surfer #2
- Epic Collection: Silver Surfer #3
The story references:
- Silver Surfer (Vol. 3) #5 - The start of the second Kree/Skrull War.
- Silver Surfer (Vol. 3) #4 - The Silver Surfer's previous confrontation with the Elders of the Universe.
Links and References
- Bibliomancer (22 Jun 2015). Essential Silver Surfer: Silver Surfer #9: DOOMSDAY. The Bibliomancer. Retrieved on 30 Aug 2021.
- Englehart, Steve. Silver Surfer 1-20. Steve Englehart: Books, Film, Comics, Games.... Retrieved on 21 Feb 2021.
- Grand Comics Database. Silver Surfer #9. Grand Comics Database. Retrieved on 29 Aug 2021.
|Like this? Let us know!|