- 1 History
- 2 Powers and Abilities
- 3 Paraphernalia
- 4 Notes
- 5 Trivia
- 6 See Also
- 7 Links and References
Skaar was the progeny of Hulk and Caiera the Oldstrong. After Caiera's death, a cocoon containing Skaar fell into the lake of fire. After a period of time, Skaar emerged from the cocoon, appearing to be the age of a human boy. A year later, he appeared to have grown to a young adult and had spent time in the swamps with Old Sam who attempted to raise, teach and guide him after he discovered him shortly after Shadow People burned tattoos into his skin. It took Old Sam months to get him to wear a loincloth and speak.
Skaar confronted Axeman Bone and his dragons with only a sword and his bare hands and defeated them. Skaar, after having a confrontation with Princess Omaka, showed he was able to speak intelligent sentences when the group was attacked by Wildebots and the two formed an alliance. After some time, he gained the Old Power with the help of his followers. Soon after, he found himself allied with the supposedly redeemed Red King, who was saved from death and rebuilt with cybernetic parts by Wildebots. After becoming his ally, many of the people who considered him a savior, including Omaka, lost faith in him and allied themselves with Axeman Bone against him instead.
With his Old Power, he was able to see the acts of murder committed by everyone on the planet and intended to kill Axeman Bone and his followers, and almost succeeded, but the Silver Surfer suddenly returned and revealed that Galactus was coming to Sakaar to consume it. He offered Skaar the chance to use the Old Power to revive the ancient technology of the Shadow People to evacuate the planet, becoming a hero to the universe as Sakaar would have enough energy to sate Galactus' hunger for one hundred thousand years. Skaar instead tried to destroy the planet, forcing the Surfer to take away his Old Power and heal the planet. This weakened the Surfer enough for Skaar to implant him with an Obedience Disk enslaving him into his army.
Caiera's spirit spoke to Skaar asking him to fight for the good of the people of the planet, but he insisted on revenge, consumed with rage over Axeman Bone. Through one final plea of Caiera's spirit, he was asked to give up his rage, but he instead proceeded into battle, with no regard for the innocent. Caiera, using what little of her strength she had left as a spirit, used her Old Power to return in a stone form of the Hulk and then herself. She proceeded to defeat Skaar with ease and asked why he insisted on being a killer instead of attempting to make peace. Skaar then revealed his plan for killing everyone on the planet he deemed evil after glimpsing the destruction of so many others while he briefly wielded the Old Power.
Caiera, offering him one last chance at redemption, forced the Silver Surfer, still being controlled by an Obedience Disk, to bring him close to Galactus, a being who had killed billions, in order to truly grasp the consequences of his plans. The Silver Surfer sent Skaar back to Sakaar believing he saw things Caiera's way. She returned to being one with the planet, believing Skaar had taken up the Silver Surfer's previous offer to evacuate the planet and returned his Old Power in order to do so. Skaar then unsuspectingly used the Old Power to destroy the Stone Ships, dooming everyone on the planet. He decided that the planet and Caiera's soul were more important than its people. He gave the Silver Surfer an ultimatum, spare Sakaar or he would use the Old Power to increase Galactus' hunger, causing him to consume every planet with the Old Power. The Silver Surfer decided to leave, informing everyone on the planet of Skaar's actions and how they would subsequently kill billions. Caiera returned to him once more and denounced him as her son for his decision and exiled him from the planet by sending him through a wormhole to hole. She then absorbed Sakaar's Old Power and awaited for Galactus to consume her. Before Skaar was fully drawn through the wormhole, he blasted Galactus with the Old Power which awakened him and set him craving more of it.
Exiled to Earth
During the time of Skaar's exclusion from his planet, he was sent through a wormhole to Earth. Mister Fantastic saw his arrival as well as Hulk's cousin She-Hulk, who could sense his location and gender. Arriving on Earth near Dayton, Ohio (the birthplace of his father) he first attacked a helicopter for killing an innocent coyote puppy. Skaar then entered into battle with his cousin, She-Hulk, and the Fantastic Four, minus the Invisible Woman due to her holding off his father miles away. One of many bombs sent by Osborn collided with the area the Fantastic Four battled Skaar in and sent him miles away. Transformed into what seemed to be his human form, Skaar was left alone in the wilderness, believed to have died.
In his human form he met and befriended two local children while beginning to doubt the actions he had taken on Sakaar which led to its destruction. One of the siblings injured himself on a cliff and the younger sibling rushed to nearby police for help. Mistaking Skaar for a threat, one of the officers tasered him and proceeded to attempt to arrest him, provoking him to transform back into his original form, causing his presence to be felt by his father several miles away. After running into and attacking the Warbound, Skaar asked how to kill his father. As the Green Scar version of the Hulk appeared immediately to confront him, Kate Waynesboro stated that you don't.
The Green Scar confronted Skaar in battle. The Warbound initially decided not to interfere, but decided to as Kate pointed out their battle was going to endanger a nearby power plant. Korg tried to calm the Green Scar down but was instead assaulted, grabbed and hammered against Skaar. Afterword Korg told both of them to state their grievances. Skaar stated why he wanted revenge on the Green Scar was because he felt he and his world were abandoned to death by the Green Scar. The Savage Hulk responded to this, shouting while he kept talking. Skaar, disgusted with his father's diminished intelligence asked if he even knew who he was. Hulk exclaimed that he was Hulk, the 'Strongest One There Is'. Skaar, even further disappointed, claimed he had come to kill a king, not a clown. Hulk then grabbed Skaar's face and recognised Caiera in Skaar through their similar eyes and became World Breaker once more, but was pushed back into Banner's mind and regressed back into the Savage Hulk. Skaar, wanting the World Breaker to return was quickly ignored by the Savage Hulk and left. The Warbound were trying to stop a nuclear catastrophe at the nearby power plant caused by the fight, when they were unexpectedly aided by Hulk and subsequently Skaar. Skaar, using Old Power, sealed the plant and saved the workers. Elloe asked why he used his sword when he had the Old Power. Skaar responded by saying it was more fun, while stabbing the Hulk in the chest. Skaar then left claiming he would come back when the Green Scar would.
Student of Banner
Skaar later encountered Banner, who had been robbed of the ability to become the Hulk by the Red Hulk. Banner offered to teach Skaar how to kill the Green Scar, should he ever return, and proceeded to pick a fight between Skaar and the Juggernaut in Arizona to help him prepare for this confrontation. Skaar managed to win his first staged fight by throwing Juggernaut into open space when he realised he could not physically stop him, proving to his father his ability to use his physical strength with his intelligence.
As a second lesson, devised to grant the still naive Skaar the ability to discern friend from foe, and confront his legacy as the Son of Hulk, Banner used the recently met Wolverine to bring Daken and Skaar together. After a friendly conversation, Skaar apparently asked Daken to kill him, forcing Banner to separate the two with a prompt Fastball Special. The two fathers proceeded to separate their offspring, noting to them how strange their parenting seemed.
Meanwhile, Victoria Hand and Moonstone, still in Ms. Marvel garb, lured Banner and Skaar near an installation seemingly meant to siphon away his Old Power. At first taking Hand and Sofen as his hostage, he freed the two women, gleefully acknowledging their real plan: rather than stripping him of his heritage, they wanted to recharge Banner's physiology, accelerating the rebirth of the Hulk. Banner froze Skaar's childlike glee, noting that Skaar would still need training for his revenge.
Skaar later assisted Banner and A-Bomb when fighting the Harpy. It turned out that the Harpy that attacked them wasn't Betty Ross, but instead Marlo Chandler who had been mutated into the Harpy by the Leader.
Skaar and Banner later fought Tyrannus when he and his Moloids invaded Manhattan. After defeating the Moloids, Skaar was proclaimed a hero. After Banner spoke to his secret partner, the Red Hulk, and learned that the Green Hulk was in Latveria battling Dr. Doom. The two dueled for a bit before Doom prepared to strike down Hulk. Suddenly, Skaar burst onto the scene and took on Doom, with Doom overwhelming him with magic. When Doom held Skaar's sword up to Hulk's neck, he blasted the distracted Skaar and prepared to kill him, reminding him that this Hulk is a robot. Banner came through and neutralized Doom's ability to use his armor and remember his spells, thus saving Skaar from being killed. Skaar still refused to trust Banner and angrily shrugged him off when Banner tried to reach out to him.
He next went to aid the Avengers against Red She-Hulk. At first being overpowered by Red She-Hulk and losing Hank Pym in the process Skaar and Banner created a new team of Avengers to help break into the Intelligencia's helicarrier. Once the helicarrier was broken into he was forced to again battle Red She-Hulk who then overpowered him. But he was protected from her by Banner and after the Intelligencia used the Cathexis Ray Generator and Skaar was shot out of the Helicarrier he fought the Hulked-Out Heroes and protected Bruce from the Red She-Hulk by stabbing her, and to his, Rick, and Bruce's surprise she turned into Betty Ross.
After this revelation he was sent by Bruce to battle the Hulked out heroes with Red She-Hulk and A-Bomb. After they were cured by Bruce absorbing the Cathexis Ray energy there was a big explosion and the Hulk walked out angrier then before and Skaar said with an evil grin "Finally" with Red she Hulk looking in horror. After the Hulk turns away from Skaar telling him that he never met Caiera, Skaar brags about feeding the planet Sakaar to Galactus. This enrages his father to the point that he goes insane with rage. Skaar was shocked to see his father thunderclap a large amount of sand to save civilians when Skaar is about to say something his father yells his normal catchphrase "JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!" and Skaar tells his father that he (The Hulk) is not a monster and that him and Banner should work their problems out now. When Skaar transforms into his child form and is crying when Red She-Hulk tells Bruce he has to hug his son, but Bruce is afraid since the whole fight he saw himself as his own abusive father and Skaar as him. In the end they hug it out and cry as father and son.
Skaar joined Norman Osborn's new team of Avengers and helped them fight the New Avengers. However he had ulterior motives since after finding out that the Dark Avengers had captured Captain America, he shouted "Avengers Assemble!" and knocked the Dark Avengers out. It was revealed that Skaar had been reporting to Steve Rogers all along, acting as his double agent on the Dark Avengers.
After the Thunderbolts went missing in the time stream, the Dark Avengers were recruited as a replacement team. They were implanted with nanites in order to prevent them from going rogue, and placed under the leadership of Luke Cage. Skaar was asked to join the team by Luke Cage who wanted someone to watch his back in case the Dark Avengers went rogue.
Skaar later travelled to the Savage Land, as it reminded him of his planet. He was tracked down by Doc Green, the Hulk's newest and most intelligent persona, in order to depower him, as part of his plan to cure every Gamma mutate on the Earth, except himself, as the cure was derived from his blood and wouldn't have any effect on him.
After a brief fight, Skaar was finally depowered. Doc Green teleported Skaar to Paris, along with a backpack full of money, so he could start a new and better life. Under the name of "Santos," Skaar became a hunter and lived in the edge of the Pyrenees Mountains.
Skaar was eventually repowered by the science of a company named Green Spring that worked to weaponize gamma mutation and which was run by his father's old nemesis the Abomination. After being repowered, Skaar began working for Green Spring. He appeared in Austin, Texas to retrieve Dionne, an escaped Gamma Mutate, for his employer, telling her she was coming home. Skaar was opposed by Gamma Flight who came to help Dionne. Skaar, Dionne, and Gamma Flight were then confronted by the United States Hulkbuster Force, a new forced assembled to stop Gamma Mutates. However, Skaar fought the Hulkbuster Force and easily defeated them, though he seemingly avoid killing them.
Powers and Abilities
- Old Power: Skaar possess the Shadow People's Old Power which allows him to connect to and manipulate the earth and stone of the planet, control lava, speak through the earth, turn his own body to stone and even a form of retrocognition, showing him all who had walked the planet Sakaar in the last 'forty moons' and the things they had done. This power was removed from him by the Silver Surfer and then returned to him by his mother.
- Superhuman Strength: As the son of the Hulk, Skaar presumably possesses the capacity for vast if not limitless levels of physical strength among other capabilities; ones which either are fueled by intense anger like his father or via channeling the Old Power. Once having absorbed 100 trillion tons of kinetic energy from a city to fight the Hulk, sent Juggernaut flying in space with ease, punching beings miles away, slaying the dragons of Sakaar, overturning tanks, and fighting Ben Grimm with ease. Skaar's great strength extends into his legs as well allowing him to leap great distances.
- Superhuman Stamina: During his time searching for Axeman Bone and trying to protect and survive all in one he has shown the ability to keep his stamina up for extended periods.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: In addition to his Hulk-like strength, Skaar's body possesses a high degree of resistance to physical injury and pain, as well as a unique immunity to anything heat related. Skaar's skin is capable of withstanding extreme heat without blistering and great impact. Being a hulk bolstered by the Old Power Skaar possesses the potential for virtual to total invulnerability having survived falls from outer planetary orbit, taken a full strength blow from Iron Fist as well as those from the stronger Hulk persona; The Green Scar himself.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Despite his high resistance to physical injury it is possible to wound Skaar. He is capable of regenerating damaged or destroyed body parts with far greater speed and efficiency than ordinary humans. Wounds that are deadly to other beings take just a short time to heal. Doing battle with Axeman Bone he was impaled in the stomach but healed quickly and hunted him down.
- Self Sustenance: Skaar is capable of surviving in the vacuum of space unaided and does not need air, food, water, or sleep.
- Suspended Aging: For all intents and purposes, Skaar does not age. This is because of his great healing factor that regenerates his cells and the gamma energy and Old Power that empowers him.
- Rapid Maturity: Shortly after Skaar's cocoon left his mother's body he emerged from the burning waters at a preteen age. A year later he grew to become a teenager.
- Enhanced Senses: Either a natural effect of his transformation or due to his alien heritage, Skaar can pick up on the subtle biochemical changes within a function organism. Being able to tell automatons from normal human beings and sensing Daken's usage of pheromones to sway his emotional state.
- Transformation: Skaar can transform into the human form of a twelve year old boy. Human Skaar said that Skaar kept his alter ego suppressed until Osborn's bomb. When human Skaar gets angry, it triggers his transformation into original form. To what extent Skaar's transformation resembles his father's is unknown.
- Skaar is a self-trained weapons master.
Class 100+; Skaar naturally shares his father's great strength, in addition to the Old Power, which bolsters his strength even further. However Skaar's strength at a base level, without rage or old power bolstering it, is only listed at class 90.
- Skaar was vulnerable to the Muramasa Blade which nullifies super-human healing factors. Daken was able to use the blade to cut and seriously injure him.
- Skaar generally wields a large broadsword.
- Skaar's tattoos mark him as a true member of the Shadow People, his mother's race.
- Skaar didn't speak his first words until Skaar: Son of Hulk #3, until then he just grunted, shouted and yelled his own name.
- After regaining their Gamma Mutated form, some features are often reminiscent of the jaws of the Abomination Shell tissue.
- 95 appearance(s) of Skaar (Earth-616)
- 10 minor appearance(s) of Skaar (Earth-616)
- 10 mention(s) of Skaar (Earth-616)
- 137 image(s) of Skaar (Earth-616)
- 9 quotation(s) by or about Skaar (Earth-616)
- 1 victim(s) killed by Skaar (Earth-616)