Early years and Pre-Cataclysmic Age
While other lied dormant in the ocean or beneath hills, the Sleeper went under the desert, where a temple was erected and a flame kept always burning there.
The Sleeper and him kind were said to be invisible.
- The Sleeper Beneath the Sands was created by Roy Thomas in the eponymous tale (Savage Sword of Conan #6), an original story meant as a sequel to A Witch Shall Be Born (Savage Sword of Conan #5): At that time, Roy Thomas couldn't use the sequel The Flame Knife by Robert E. Howard and L. Sprague de Camp, as Marvel Comics had obtained the rights only to REH material. He consequently created his own sequel.
- The origin and tales about the Sleeper and his brethren, only named "Elder Spirits", ancient beings from outer space having ruled upon Earth and awaiting hidden, sleeping and dreaming, to resume their rule of the planet mirrors those of creatures of the Cthulhu Mythos such as the Elder Things or the Old Ones. They also match the Lloigor of "The Return of the Lloigor" (1969) by Colin Wilson, as invisible creatures making themselves manifest as great reptilian beasts, akin to the legendary dragons. They came to the continent of Mu and used humans as slaves. When their power dwindled, the Lloigor retreated below ground and left their former slaves to their own devices.
- 1 Appearances of Sleeper Beneath the Sands (Earth-616)
- 1 Minor Appearances of Sleeper Beneath the Sands (Earth-616)
- Media Sleeper Beneath the Sands (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 1 Images featuring Sleeper Beneath the Sands (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Sleeper Beneath the Sands (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Sleeper Beneath the Sands (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.