- I never hear the shot...but by the time I hear the glass breaking...it's already too late. Another Professor Erskine is dying in my arms...and I have no idea what is going on.
Appearing in 1st story
- Nextin Pharmaceuticals (First appearance)
- Professor Amtower (Only appearance)
- God (Yahweh) (Invoked)
- Esme Erskine (Mentioned)
- Project Rebirth (Only in flashback)
- Nazi Germany (Recap)
- S.H.I.E.L.D. (Mentioned)
- MI13 (Mentioned)
- Hank McCoy (Behind the scenes)
- Nextin's Guardsmen Head (Mentioned)
- Machinesmith (Sam Saxon) (Behind the scenes)
Races and Species:
- Earth (Main story and flashback)
- Hell (Invoked)
- Super-Soldier Serum (Recap)
- Commander Rogers's Uniform
- Energy Shield
- Captain America's Uniform (Only in flashback)
- Captain America's Shield (Recap)
Synopsis for 1st story
Steve was informed by Pete Wisdom about Nixtin Pharmaceutics and its head, Jacob Erskine, who was the grandson of Professor Abraham Erskine. Jacob Erskine's father was Tyler Paxton, one of Steve's fellow volunteers in the Super Soldier program. Apparently, Tyler and Esme, Professor Erskine's daughter, met at the professor's funeral. As Jacob Paxton, he turned down several job offers from S.H.I.E.L.D. and MI:13. Wisdom explained that Nixton had apparently uncovered the Super Soldier serum.
Steve went to Madripoor, where Erskine was, and infiltrated the Sovereign Hotel, where a party for international buyers was being held. Steve found that Erskine's wife looks like a woman he met in 1941. Attempting to follow, Steve shot two security guards to see if they had any elevator keys, but they didn't, meaning that he would have to take the stairs. But when he reached the V.I.P. gymnasium, he was attacked by several security guards augmented by the Super Soldier serum. However, the serum they were enhanced by was dangerously flawed, leading to irrationally violent behaviour and at least one collapsed in combat with a brain aneurysm. Steve defeated the guards and managed to find Jacob Erskine, who revealed to have taken on his grandfather's last name to call Steve's attention. Steve asked him if he was out for revenge because he got to become a Super Soldier and not his father. Erskine replied no, for he considered his father a hero for his intelligence and codecracking work in WWII. Steve further accused him of attempting to sell the Super Soldier formula to America's enemies, to which Erskine objected, stating that he was perfecting the formula to cure cancer and he wanted Steve's help so that he could finish it. Steve didn't believe him, citing the guards and his wife as proof. Erskine then claimed that formula was given to the guards without his permission, possibly by his head of security. Suddenly, Erskine was killed by an unknown attacker through a quick and silent bullet from afar.
Appearing in "Meet Captain America"
Synopsis for "Meet Captain America"
Steve Rogers was America's first Super-Soldier - Captain America - and he's fought for his country since World War II. Now a face from the past reappears, a woman that cannot be alive because Steve watched her die! Steve has fought for so long, and lost so much -- is his past coming back to haunt him now? Or could this be the plot of an old enemy who controls nearly everything he touches, including Steve's mind? From multiple Award-Winning Captain America scribe Ed Brubaker and acclaimed artist Dale Eaglesham comes a mini-series no Cap or Avengers fan will want to miss!
A flashback in this story affects the chronology of the following characters: Captain America / Steve Rogers
- Also reprints "Meet Captain America" from Captain America Comics #1.
- The cover logo for this title is somewhat imitative of one used previously in the '90s Captain America #445.
- This issue is reprinted in Steve Rogers: Super Soldier TPB.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Steve Rogers: Super Soldier Vol 1 1 on the forums
- 6 Images from Steve Rogers: Super Soldier Vol 1 1
Links and References
|Like this? Let us know!|