Appearing in "The Coming of the Plantman!"
- Doris Evans (First appearance)
- Plantman (First appearance)
- Mr. Evans (Only appearance)
- New York City citizens and officials
- Robert Wagner (First appearance) (Topical reference)
- Plantman's Ray Gun
Synopsis for "The Coming of the Plantman!"
Late again for one of his dates with Doris Evans, Johnny arrives to be witness to Dorry's father firing his gardener for wasting his time on a device that stimulates plant growth. Vengeful, and after his device is struck by lightning giving it the ability to make him control plants totally, the gardener becomes the criminal known as Plantman.
As Plantman, Smithers tries to frame Dorry's father with robbing the store in which he works and planting evidence pointing blame to Mr. Evans. Johnny vows to clear Mr. Evans' name and ends up battling with the Plantman.
The two are at a match until the Torch begins to gain the lead. The Plantman then escapes by hiding in a tree, planning to strike again with a more devious plan. Afterward, Doris thanks Johnny for clearing her father's name.
Appearing in "The Search of Shanng"
Supporting Characters: Antagonists: Other Characters:
- Shanng's ship
- Supersonic jet
Synopsis for "The Search of Shanng"
- Synopsis not yet written.
Appearing in "The Shoemaker's Strange Assistant"
- Uncle Hugo
- Honest Harry Hook
- Shoe repair shop
Synopsis for "The Shoemaker's Strange Assistant"
A shoemaker who enjoys telling the neighborhood children stories of the little people who come out at night to help him make shoes becomes ill and goes to a loan shark to acquire money for medical treatment. The loan shark harasses him constantly to make interest payments on his loan so he must work night and day. The last time the greedy money lender visits the shoemaker he gets the shock of his life as it turns out it wasn't a tall tale about those little people and they shrink the man and put him to work building shoes for the shoemaker.
Appearing in "New Glasses!"
- Appearances not yet listed
Synopsis for "New Glasses!"
- Synopsis not yet written.
The Coming of the Plant Man!
- This is the first appearance of Johnny's first girlfriend Doris Evans. The pair date from Strange Tales #113-133. Doris later broke up with Johnny in Fantastic Four #45 after she got tired of his superhero lifestyle.
- The Plantman's origins are expanded upon in Namor the Sub-Mariner #24, which explains that Smither's plant growing device was empowered by the extra-dimensional plant creatures known as the H'ylthri.
- The depiction of Robert F. Wagner, Jr. as the mayor of New York City should be considered a topical reference per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616.
- This issue is reprinted in other comics and books, see references for more info.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Strange Tales Vol 1 113 on the forums
- Images from Strange Tales Vol 1 113
|Like this? Let us know!|