Appearing in "Brother Voodoo!"
- Brother Voodoo (Jericho Drumm) (Main story and flashback) (Origin revealed) (First appearance)
- Bambu (Unnamed) (First appearance)
- Brother Voodoo (Daniel Drumm) (Main story and flashback) (Death) (First appearance)
- Auntie Matilda (Only in flashback)
- Papa Jambo (Only in flashback) (First appearance)
- Armed Haiti Natives
- Nathan (First and only known appearance; dies)
- Numerous unnamed others
- Damballah (Only in flashback) (First appearance)
Races and Species:
- Earthspace (Main story and flashback)
- Hell (Referenced)
Synopsis for "Brother Voodoo!"
A pathologist from the United Nations named Doctor Maitland arrives at the airport in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. A man named Willoby is there and greets him and explains that he'll escort him. He goes on to tell the doctor that his customs check has already been cleared and it was done so to try and keep him a secret due to a hostile faction that would be against the aide of the United Nations. Suddenly, numerous Haitian gunmen accost them and hold them at gunpoint. A cloud of smoke rolls in, and from it steps – Brother Voodoo. Voodoo dives into the men, driving them to the ground, but one manages to get away in a rental car. While fleeing, he attempts to run Brother Voodoo down, but Voodoo dives out of the way and the car crashes into the side of a building killing the would be assailant.
Suddenly, a ghostly figure rises from Brother Voodoo's body. The apparition takes possession of one of the other gunmen and forces him to turn against his allies. When the threat alleviates, the spirit leaves the gunman’s body and returns to Brother Voodoo. Brother Voodoo takes a moment to reflect on the course of events that set him down his chosen path.
- Some time ago, Brother Voodoo was merely Jericho Drumm, a prominent psychologist practicing in the United States. When he received word that his brother, Daniel, had fallen deathly ill, he immediately returned home to visit him. Daniel told Jericho that an evil man claiming to be Damballah the Serpent God arrived in Port-au-Prince to educate the locals in the ways of black magic. Daniel had been the previous Brother Voodoo, and sought to stop Damballah, but Damballah cursed him with a wasting disease. Daniel told Jericho to seek out an old Houngan named Papa Jambo. He was the only one with the power to end Damballah's influence. At the stroke of midnight, Daniel died, and Jericho knew that Damballah was responsible.
- Racing outside of the house, Jericho tackled Damballah, but the purported Serpent God beat him to within an inch of his life. Damballah spared Jericho, citing that he was not even worth killing.
- Fulfilling his brother's wishes, Jericho wrapped Daniel's body and brought him deep into the jungle to the hut of Papa Jambo. He explained the situation to the old man, and Papa Jambo told him that while he would not help Jericho himself he would teach him the ways of Voodoo so that he could become the next Brother Voodoo.
- Thomas and Romita credited with "creative contributions."
- This is the first issue of the series to be released after a five-year publishing hiatus.
- First appearance of Brother Voodoo (Jericho Drumm) and Brother Voodoo (Daniel Drumm). Origin revealed in flashback in this issue; Both appear again next issue.
- First appearance of Papa Jambo.
- Final corporeal appearance of Daniel Drumm; dies in flashback in this issue, but is spiritually bound to his brother, Jericho.
- The Damballah that appears in this issue is actually a pawn of Set and should not be confused with the African God, Damballah.
- Strange Tales #171 reveals that the men who attack Doctor Maitland actually work for Baron Samedi.