- If your people desire a champion, Jericho Drumm -- We can give them one! Stay here -- become my pupil -- and Brother Voodoo will live again!
- -- Papa Jambo
Appearing in "Brother Voodoo!"
- Brother Voodoo (Jericho Drumm) (First appearance) (Main story and flashback) (Origin revealed)
- Brother Voodoo (Daniel Drumm) (First appearance) (Main story and flashback) (Death)
- Papa Jambo (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Bambu (First appearance)
- Damballah (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Auntie Matilda
- Doctor Maitland
- Medallion of the Loa
- Voodoo doll of Daniel Drumm
- Wangal amulet
Synopsis for "Brother Voodoo!"
A physician named Doctor Maitland arrives at the airport in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. A man named Willoby comes out to greet him. Suddenly, two Haitian gunmen accost them and hold them at gunpoint. A cloud of smoke rolls in, and from it steps – Brother Voodoo. Voodo dives into the men, driving them to the ground, but one manages to get away in a rental car. While fleeing, he attempts to run Brother Voodoo down, but Voodoo dives out of the way and the car crashes into the side of a building.
Suddenly, a ghostly figure rises from Brother Voodoo's body. The apparition takes possession of one of the other gunmen and forces him to turn against his allies. When the threat alleviates, the spirit leaves the gunman’s body and returns to Brother Voodoo. Brother Voodoo takes a moment to reflect on the course of events that set him down his chosen path.
- Some time ago, Brother Voodoo was merely Jericho Drumm, a prominent psychologist practicing in the United States. When he received word that his brother, Daniel, had fallen deathly ill, he immediately returned home to visit him. Daniel told Jericho that an evil man claiming to be Damballah the Serpent God arrived in Port-au-Prince to educate the locals in the ways of black magic. Daniel had been the previous Brother Voodoo, and sought to stop Damballah, but Damballah cursed him with a wasting disease. Daniel told Jericho to seek out an old Houngan named Papa Jambo. He was the only one with the power to end Damballah's influence. At the stroke of midnight, Daniel died, and Jericho knew that Damballah was responsible.
- Racing outside of the house, Jericho tackled Damballah, but the purported Serpent God beat him to within an inch of his life. Damballah spared Jericho, citing that he was not even worth killing.
- Fulfilling his brother's wishes, Jericho wrapped Daniel's body and brought him deep into the jungle to the hut of Papa Jambo. He explained the situation to the old man, and Papa Jambo told him that Jericho would learn the ways of Voodoo and become the new Brother Voodoo.
- Thomas and Romita credited with "creative contributions."
- This is the first issue of the series to be released after a five-year publishing hiatus.
- First appearance of Brother Voodoo (Jericho Drumm) and Brother Voodoo (Daniel Drumm). Origin revealed in flashback in this issue; Both appear again next issue.
- First appearance of Papa Jambo.
- Final corporeal appearance of Daniel Drumm; dies in flashback in this issue, but is spiritually bound to his brother, Jericho.
- The Damballah that appears in this issue is actually a pawn of Set and should not be confused with the African God, Damballah.
- Strange Tales #171 reveals that the men who attack Doctor Maitland actually work for Baron Samedi.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Strange Tales Vol 1 169 on the forums
- 3 Image(s) from Strange Tales Vol 1 169
- 2 Reprints of Strange Tales Vol 1 169
|Like this? Let us know!|