- 1 Overview
- 2 History
- 3 Alternate realities
- 4 Facts
- 5 Points of Interest
- 6 Residents
- 7 Notes
- 8 See Also
- 9 Links and References
Sudan is a country in North Africa, bordered (clockwise) at northeast by the Red Sea, at east by Eritrea and Ethiopia, at southeast by Rudyarda and Niganda, at south by Narobia and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, at southwest bu the Central African Republic, at west by Chad, at northwest by Libya, and at north by Egypt.
Second Sudanese Civil War
Starting in 1983, the Civil War with the north of the country, Muslim, turned South Sudan into killing fields, with two millions casualties, while women and children were regularly kidnapped and put into slavery, and the rest of people falling to starvation and to the lethal disease kala-zar.
War in Darfur
Similar, government-sponsored "Janjaweed" (or "devils on horseback") carried bloody raids on the black villages, in a campaign of systematic genocide. Men were killed, women and children dropped to die in the desert. A.I.M. rescued the survivors, and offered them offering them food in exchange for them soothing their minds with Memetic Antibodies, an invention of Monica Rappaccini allowing to purge a psyche from religion, national and ethnic identities, preparing them for the world to come. As a Janjaweed group set in a bombed hospital frequently attacked A.I.M. supply convoy, Scorpion (Carmilla Black) was dispatched eradicate, as a loyalty test. Scorpion tried to force them to flee, but unwittingly detonated biohazard missiles, annihilating the racist raiders and rendering the area inhabitable for twenty years.
The controversial Church of Hala (which had formed after the "return" of "Captain Marvel", in fact the Skrull Khn'nr), after a meeting between Church leader Julia Starr and "Captain Marvel" on where the Church's help would be the most helpful, started intervening in humanitarian operations in Darfur, notably in Al-Fasher. Vision went for several weeks as an aid worker in Darfur, where he was a situation where vast intentional involvement was required, but little came.
After a bombing from an unidentified origin at against a Church-owned warehouse killed twenty one members of the church (including Starr), "Captain Marvel" declared the end of all war, starting by attacking a nearby unidentified army base, destroying weapons though allegedly without a single casualty. Afterwards, allegedly not a single shot was fired in the world for twenty-four hours, including in Gharb.
As two aliens using tremendously powerful weapons fought in Earth's orbit, they were destroyed and their remains scattered upon entering the atmosphere. One such was detecting falling in the desert of Sudan. U.S. Sergeant Joseph Green was dispatched with a squad to beat Hydra terrorists at the retrieval of the fragment. The two groups fought over the target, in fact two the items: a Gauntlet and a sword. Using the gauntlet, Green defeated Hydra, but was unable to remove it afterwards.
After S.H.I.E.L.D. was dismantled by H.A.M.M.E.R., some former agents founded the Howling Commandos Private Military Company (H.C. P.M.C.), and established their headquarters at Juba, a United Nations staging point.
Arno Stark used his advanced knowledge to work towards solving "World Hunger". He developed a new strain of wheat that could grow in the Sahara Desert and set a wheat farm there. It was speculated that is could feed villages along the Sudan.
The government-sponsored "Janjaweed" (or "devils on horseback", though they also use helicopters) carried bloody raids on the black villages, in a campaign of systematic genocide. Men were killed, women and children dropped to die in the desert.
A.I.M. rescued the above mentioned survivors, and offered them offering them food, but only in exchange for them soothing their minds with Memetic Antibodies, an invention of Monica Rappaccini allowing to purge a psyche from religion, national and ethnic identities, preparing them for the world to come. As a Janjaweed group also attacked A.I.M.'s convoys, they dispatched Scorpion (Carmilla Black) to eradicate them.
From their headquarters in Juba, the Howling Commandos Private Military Company (H.C. P.M.C.) (composed of former S.H.I.E.L.D. agents) prepared with their employer, Nick Fury.
Religion and Ethnicity
Points of Interest
- Khartoum - Capital
- Selima - City
- Port Sudan
- Darfur - Western region
- South Sudan - Southern region (see notes)
- Sudan National Airport
- Tomb of Pharaoh Seti
- Sandbox - Nick Fury's Secret Base 4
- Arno Stark's wheat farm
- A.I.M. (Darfur)
- Hydra (local branch in South Sudan, active in Sudan)
- Janjaweed (western Sudan, including Darfur)
- Sudan is a real-life country.
- In Marvel Comics, Sudan was seemingly cut of from a part of its southern territory, where was set the fictional country of Narobia.
- Robert E. Howard's Darfar's name was inspired the Sudanese region of Darfur, though no reference to a connection between both has been made so far in Marvel Comics' books and magazines.
- The Republic of South Sudan achieved independence from the Republic of the Sudan on 9 July 2011, though that event has not been addressed in comics or handbook so far, despite Uncanny Avengers #8 and #9 (May 8, and June 19, 2013).
- It is sometimes stated that Marc Spector began being affiliated with Khonshu in Egypt, though the Tomb of Pharaoh Seti was located in Modern Age Sudan (which was formerly in Egypt).
- 27 Appearances of Sudan
- 6 Minor Appearances of Sudan
- 4 Media Sudan was Mentioned in
- 2 Images featuring Sudan
- Location Gallery: Sudan
- 8 locations in Sudan
Links and References
- Marvel Atlas #2; Congo's profile
- Marvel Atlas #2; Egypt's profile
- Silver Surfer Vol 5 #1
- Moon Knight #1
- Spider-Man vs. Vampires #1
- Amazing Fantasy Vol 2 #10; Poison Tomorrow, Part 4: Gone Native
- Captain Marvel Vol 6 #4
- Young Avengers Presents #4
- Captain Marvel Vol 6 #5
- Secret Warriors #1
- Avengers: The Initiative Annual #1
- Secret Warriors #4
- Secret Warriors #5
- Tony Stark: Iron Man #5
- Empyre: Avengers #2
- Point One #1; The Shaman of Greenwich Village
- Uncanny Avengers #9
- Moon Knight #28
- Hyborian Age at Wikipedia.org