Origins and early years
Sui-San was an Eternal. She was part of the Uranites, followers of Uranos, who believed that the best way to fulfill the Eternal Principles was to scour the Earth of the other species. After the Uranos War, the Uranites were banished from Earth. Sui-San was among the Uranites of the colony on Titan, moon of Saturn after their ship was shot down over Titan where Uranus's remaining followers built a society.[verification needed]
After another civil war (initiated by the manipulations of the Dragon of the Moon), all of the Eternals on Titan were wiped out except Sui-San. When A'Lars (son of Kronos) left Earth and came to Titan, he met Sui-San and together they repopulated Titan using genetic engineering and cloning. This new Eternal-derived species, the Titans were not part of the Great Machine, but shared many of the Eternals' abilities.
Sui-San bore A'Lars two children. The first was Eros. Sui-San planned for the second to be named Dione. However, upon lying her eyes on the newborn, who was afflicted with Deviant Syndrome, Sui-San was driven mad and named him Thanos. She also tried to kill him, sensing the death in his eyes. Sui-San was stopped by A'Lars and she was institutionalized not long afterwards.
By the time Thanos was twelve years old, Sui-San had already been returned home, though she was noticeably unresponsive. Following the disappearance of two of Thanos' classmates by his hand, she suddenly spoke to him alone, and accused him of knowing who he was. Having killed seventeen people in total, Thanos targeted Sui-San in hopes of finding in her body the key to who he was, both spiritually and physically.
Eventually, after the Eternals went mad and slaughtered each other, all Eternals were resurrected by the Great Machine on Earth, including Sui-San and Mentor. However, since the Titan experiment had been deemed a failure, both Sui-San and Mentor were excluded for having sired Thanos.
- Many aspects of Sui-San's history were altered depending on the comic:
- In some tellings, Sui-San's death is caused by Thanos as part of the assault on Titan, while in others she is murdered by her son.
- Sui-San is sometimes presented as caring for her son while in other tellings she is disgusted by him.
- In Daredevil #105, Thanos' mother was presented as Kazantra instead of Sui-San.
- 11 appearance(s) of Sui-San (Earth-616)
- 11 minor appearance(s) of Sui-San (Earth-616)
- 13 mention(s) of Sui-San (Earth-616)
- 3 image(s) of Sui-San (Earth-616)