- —Wiz Kid[src]
Takeshi "Taki" Matsuya (松矢 隆) was placed as a student at Saint Simon's Academy, a private special education elementary school, shortly after losing the use of his legs in the same accident that killed both his parents. Taki held deep feelings of resentment toward his parents for abandoning him, which further isolated him from children of his own age.
A computer genius and novice inventor, Taki occupied his time creating small but fantastic electronic devices. During this period of isolation, Taki first manifested his mutant ability to technoform materials to function to his specifications, even to the point of being contrary to the laws of nature and science. Shortly after first manifesting this ability, Taki was befriended by Arthur "Artie" Maddicks and "Leech" the Morlock, two mutant wards of the mutant group X-Factor, placed at the Academy to receive a mainstream education.
During a time when demons from the dimension called Limbo were loose on Earth, Taki, Leech, and Artie were captured by a group of demons and taken to N'astirh, demon leader of the Limbo denizens. Supposedly N'astirh was supposed to gather them for S'ym, but he instead intended to collect the mutant children to use in an intricate magical spell which would increase his own power and potentially join the dimension of Limbo to Earth forever, thereby transforming Earth into an extension of Limbo and extending N'astirh's own power.
Discovering that the three mutants were too old for his purposes, N'astirh ordered them killed. Takeshi was able to save their lives only by displaying his mutant technoforming ability. N'astirh then ordered him to create a supercomputer which would allow him to cast several spells at once, layering his magic. This computer increased N'astirh's power exponentially, allowing him to open a portal between Limbo and Earth more quickly, accelerating the speed at which Limbo's inhabitants could spill out.
Feeling responsible for the ensuing horror that subsequently overtook Manhattan, Taki rebelled against N'astirh and joined with the New Mutants and the X-Terminators in closing the portal. During the fight, Taki was injured, but survived. N'astirh was defeated and eventually destroyed.
Shortly after returning to Saint Simon's Academy, it was attacked by the Alliance of Evil, who were pawns of Piecemeal and Harness in a plan to resurrect Proteus. Taki was again injured in the skirmish.
On another adventure, Taki, Leech, and Artie were mistaken for aliens while joyriding in a saucer of Wiz Kid's design. However, the situation was soon resolved.
Taki later developed a big schoolboy crush on his teacher. When he overheard the teacher's boyfriend and discovered he was secretly a mutant-hating bigot conspiring to kill the mutants of Saint Simon's, Wiz Kid was instrumental in the boyfriend's arrest.
When the Avengers Academy relocated to Avengers Compound in L.A. and expanded its student body, Wiz Kid was one of the many recruits. Along with X-23 and Ricochet, Wiz Kid was one of the few mutants who chose not to join the X-Men and other mutants on Utopia. Wiz Kid also felt uncomfortable with mutant kids being detained at the Avengers Compound when the Avengers fought the X-Men. Even after Wolverine opened the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning in Westchester County, Wiz Kid stayed enrolled at the Avengers Academy.
Wiz Kid later appeared as a member of S.W.O.R.D.'s mutant sub-team The Six under the command of Abigail Brand. He was seen observing the tech inside The Peak where he was surprised to be greeted by Magneto.
Powers and Abilities
Wiz Kid was a mutant with the following powers:
Remote Technoformation: Taki had the ability to psionically technoform and rearrange parts of machinery into various forms and functions of his specifications. This ability can affect metal, plastic, and glass.
- Technological Intuition: Taki has a psionic aptitude for seeing how components can work together as a machine or technological implement, which helps guide his technoforming ability. This helps him understand how to refine and improve upon existing technology as well. His abilities extend to any form of technology including mechanical, electronic, bio-technology, and "mutant technology", where individual mutants' powers are the components coming together as a larger "machine". Using his powers, Wiz Kid is able to guide the linking and combination of the powers of other mutants to work collaboratively together.
Taki is paraplegic and requires a wheelchair for mobility. He also suffers from dyslexia.
- Christos Gage, the writer of the Avengers Academy, stated that Wiz Kid used his powers to make the S.H.I.E.L.D. databases list him as depowered, while in fact he was still powered.
- 23 appearance(s) of Takeshi Matsuya (Earth-616)
- 3 minor appearance(s) of Takeshi Matsuya (Earth-616)
- 57 image(s) of Takeshi Matsuya (Earth-616)
- 3 quotation(s) by or about Takeshi Matsuya (Earth-616)
- 2 item(s) used/owned by Takeshi Matsuya (Earth-616)