- It's best if you don't try to think, Ape! You haven't the equipment!
Appearing in "The Terrible Traps of Egghead!"
- Egghead (Elihas Starr)
- Professor Carl Striker (impersonated by Egghead)
- United States of America
Synopsis for "The Terrible Traps of Egghead!"
Recapping Egghead's first battle with Ant-Man (In Tales to Astonish #38), we find that Egghead is still living in the Bowery flophouse where he ended up after his first defeat. There he is stirred out of his rantings when he overhears some crooks talking about Ant-Man and the Wasp. He approaches them asking them who the Wasp is, and after being informed on his old foe's activities, Egghead talks the two thugs into helping him devise a plot to defeat Ant-Man, using his partner the Wasp as bait.
Egghead builds a device that scrambles the messages that Ant-Man's ants transmit and then develops the disguise of Professor Carl Striker, a Zoologist that specializes in insects and begins giving lectures to rouse the interest of Ant-Man and the Wasp. Later, after hearing about a local diamond cutter being given the Middleton diamond to turn into a pendant for Princess Elisabeth, Egghead formulates his plan. Planning a wasp exhibit at the local zoo for the next day, Egghead has the thieves steal the pendant (using his device to scramble the ant's impulses so that Ant-Man doesn't learn of the theft until later).
The next day, Egghead stashes the pendant in the wasp nest he has on display in the hopes that the Wasp -- intrigued by the exhibit -- will visit the zoo and hopefully discover the pendant and attempt to get it back. Doing so by herself (because she wants to show Hank that she is a woman, "A woman in love!"), the Wasp is easily kidnapped. As per Egghead's plans she sends out a distress to Ant-Man who comes to her rescue.
Lured into Egghead's trap, Ant-Man battles a lizard, an anteater and Egghead's hired thugs, and manages to free the Wasp and the two of them defeat the crooks. However, during the battle Egghead manages to escape to plot his revenge anew.
Appearing in "The Future"
- Ted Janson
Synopsis for "The Future"
A two page text story
Appearing in "Bronson's Brain"
Synopsis for "Bronson's Brain"
Bronson, an incredible genius upset that no one on earth can match his temendous intellect, builds a space ship and travels to a planet of highly advanced aliens. After the aliens test Branson, they determine that his intelligence is so low compared to their species, that the earthling must be imprisoned for his own safety.
Appearing in "It Walks Like a Man"
- Ronnie Trent
- Helen Trent
- Ben Trent
- Carlo (a robot)
- Christmas, 1973
Synopsis for "It Walks Like a Man"
In the future (1973) Ronnie Trent, a young girl, convinces her father, Ben, to buy her a robot named Carlo at a local department store. Her parents quickly become annoyed at the young girl's intense attachment to the robot and plan to return the robot for a refund. While Carlo is being moved out of the house, Ronnie falls down in the street and is imperiled by an out of control car. Even though he has been deactivated, Carlo runs to Ronnie and shield her with his body. Ronnie is saved, but Carlo is critically damaged. Ben Trent sees the error of his thinking and vows to rebuild Carlo and let him remain with his family.
- In Story One, "The Terrible Traps of Egg Head", Egghead is disguised as Profesor Striker.
- Story One is a 13 page story.
- Story IV, "It Walks Like a Man", is set in the future of 1973. Since robots were not sold in department stores in 1973 on Earth-616, it appears that this story is set in an alternate universe.
- This issue is reprinted in other comics and books, see references for more info.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Tales to Astonish Vol 1 45 on the forums
- Images from Tales to Astonish Vol 1 45
Links and References
A Review of "The Terrible Traps of Egghead" http://extremisreviews.com/2013/11/15/ant-mans-egghead-all-talk-no-walk/
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
- ↑ The first story is reprinted in the following comics/TPB's:
- Essential Series Vol 1 Ant-Man 1
- Marvel Masterworks Ant-Man / Giant-Man #1
- Epic Collection Vol 1 Ant-Man/Giant Man 1
|Like this? Let us know!|