Appearing in "The Sub-Mariner Strikes!"
Races and Species:
- New York City
- New York Harbor
- Secret Empire Lobotomizer
- Krang's Fleet Destroyer
- Amphibious Craft
- Number One's pontooned hovercraft
Synopsis for "The Sub-Mariner Strikes!"
Continued from last issue...
Following his battle with Iron Man, the Sub-Mariner rushes toward the submarine piloted by Warlord Krang with Lady Dorma aboard. Namor is still furious at the supposed betrayal of Lady Dorma who, unknown to Namor, has been blackmailed into marrying Warlord Krang.
As the prince of Atlantis approaching Krang's craft he is attacked by the ships hydro-blaster, prompting the Sub-Mariner to strike the hull of the ship with it's own body. With the ship attempting to land on nearby building, Namor attempts to stop it from landing and is struck by the ships sonic vortex weapon. Krang is attempting to strike a weak spot on the Sub-Mariner's skull in the hopes of causing him amnesia like the type that plagued him for years until his memory was returned by the Fantastic Four.
Namor survives the blast unharmed and with his facilities still together and resumes his attack. The battle is being watched by Number 1 of the Secret Empire who hopes to enslave Namor to serve the Empire and help it raise to prominence once more. With Krang's ship hovering over the sea once more, Namor gets to a window where he sees Lady Dorma who tries to explain her situation to the Sub-Mariner. Namor smashes through the glass only to be blasted by Warlord Krang, and getting knocked back into the ocean.
Coming back up from the water, Namor neglects to notice Number One arriving on the scene with a labotomizer weapon that he hopes to use against the Sub-Mariner to erase his memory. The work is done for him by Warlord Krang however, who fires a powerful fleet destroyer missile that explodes on impact with Namor. Although the explosion is massive, Namor is seemingly unharmed and hurled into the ocean once more while Krang flees the scene with Dorma.
When Number One pulls Namor out of the water, he is surprised to find that the Prince of Atlantis has once more been struck with amnesia. Taking advantage of this Number One tells the Sub-Mariner that he is the enemy of humanity.
This story is continued next issue...
Appearing in "Less Than Monster, More than Man!"
- Secret Empire
Races and Species:
- Southwest US
- Secret Empire Base
- Secret Empire Helicopter
- US Military Vehicles
Synopsis for "Less Than Monster, More than Man!"
Having saved Betty from Boomerang and taking her to safety, the Hulk once more becomes the subject of a Gamma Base manhunt, as General Ross believes that Betty has been kidnapped by the Hulk. Learning of this the Secret Empire again dispatches Boomerang to try and capture the Orion Missile.
As the military hounds the Hulk, trying to get him to lead them to Betty, Boomerang attacks Gamma Base hoping to claim the missile. While at the headquarters of the Secret Empire during a meeting, Number Two suggests that they punish the Boomerang with a swift death for his failure. Number Nine objects and the rest of the Secret Empire tell him this is the final straw, as he is under suspicion because of the death of Number Five. Number Two sentences him to death for treason, but Number Nine makes his move launching a stun grenade and effectively destroys all of the Secret Empire aside from Number One.
General Ross and Rick Jones manage to track the Hulk back to where he is keeping Betty. Reunited with his daughter, Ross is told the truth, that the Hulk had saved her. However, the frustrated Hulk, tired of being hounded, jumps away from the humans. This story is continued next issue...
The Sub-Mariner Strikes!
- Krang states tries to find the weak spot on Namor's skull to reintroduce amnesia in his mind. As revealed in Fantastic Four #4, it was revealed that the Sub-Mariner had been stricken with amnesia for decades. However, Krang is mistaken as to the source, it wasn't a blow to the head but the mental powers of Destiny and his Crown of Power as revealed in Sub-Mariner #1.
Less Than Monster, More Than Man!
- It was revealed in Captain America #175, that Gabriel Jones was not actually the Number Nine of the Secret Empire, but that he had infiltrated as Number Six and after an armored Number Nine threw the stun grenade that knocked out the other members of the Secret Empire, Gabe Jones also wore protective armor and hit Number Nine by knocking him down..
- The events of Marvel Monsters: Devil Dinosaur #1 occur between the the 2nd and 3rd panels on the 9th page of the Hulk story.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Tales to Astonish Vol 1 83 on the forums
- 6 Image(s) from Tales to Astonish Vol 1 83
- 6 Reprints of Tales to Astonish Vol 1 83
|Like this? Let us know!|