Appearing in "Somewhere Stands Skull Island!"
- The Plunderer
- Logar, Plunderer's assistant
- Polar serpents
Species and Races:
- Neptune's Trident
Synopsis for "Somewhere Stands Skull Island!"
Continued from last issue...
Furious that the Plunderer could pose a threat to his kingdom of Atlantis, Namor decide to declare war on the entire surface world. He is however talked out of it by Dorma and Lord Vashti who convince him that go after the Plunderer only as he is a threat to everyone, an idea that Namor decides to accept.
Knowing that the Plunderer is located in the Savage Land, Namor decides to first go to the Antarctic region that was the site of the original Atlantis. There, he fights off a number of polar serpents before entering the city. There in the ruins, Namor finds the grave of his beloved mother, the late Princess Fen. This causes Namor to recollect that some surface dweller attacked and destroy the first Atlantis, however, the amnesia that he had suffered until recent time prevents him from remembering who attacked Atlantis all those years ago.
Having seen enough, Namor goes forward toward Skull Island to confront the Plunderer. The Plunderer meanwhile has constructed a giant vibra-cannon and prepares to strike at Namor, when the Sub-Mariner is attacked by a prehistoric creature. Namor easily bests the creature in battle, unaware that lady Dorma has followed after him and seeks to aid her prince. When the Sub-Mariner is blasted by the vibra-cannon, Dorma is struck as well, although Namor doesn't know it.
Surviving the blast, Namor goes to the island and fights one-on-one against the Plunderer. When Namor gains the upper-hand, the Plunderer tells him of Dorma's injury, prompting the Sub-Mariner to break off the fight and order Dorma to return to Atlantis after he sees that she is all right. When Namor returns to resume the battle, he is easily struck down by the Plunderer's personal vibra-cannon.
When Dorma returns to Atlantis, Vashti brings her to a view screen where she sees, much to her horror, that Namor has been captured and has been immobilized in strange energy rings. With Namor his prisoner, the Plunderer vows that nobody will oppose his plans of conquest of the entire world.
This story is continued next issue...
Appearing in "What Have I Created?"
Synopsis for "What Have I Created?"
Continued from last issue...
With the Knights of Wundagore storming the High Evolutionary's citadel, the Evolutionary himself is attempting to advance Bruce Banner's evolution by 10 million years. However, it is too late to complete the experiment as the Knights storm the citadel and attack the Evolutionary. Believing that Banner can become the Hulk at will, the Evolutionary frees Banner and demands that he save him.
Banner finds himself outmatched, and is soon attacked by one of the Knights. During the altercation, Banner is excited enough to cause his transformation into the Hulk, and he does battle off the Knights of Wundagore with relative ease. However, the Hulk is still outnumbered, and the mortally wounded High Evolutionary decides to subject himself to the very experiment that he had intended for Banner.
With the experiment a success, the Evolutionary has his evolution sped up by 10 million years and transforms into a god like entity. Before he becomes one with the universe, the Evolutionary uses his powers to change the Knights of Wundagore back into their original evolution and returns the Hulk to the Earth.
Somewhere Stands Skull Island!
- Namor visits Old Atlantis in the Antarctic and states that it was destroyed in atomic bomb tests leaving it in ruins. The narration states that this was revealed in Fantastic Four #4. However, this is a mistaken recollection as later facts were revealed:
- Sub-Mariner #1 reveals that in reality, Atlantis was decimated by Destiny and his Helmet of Power. Namor's memories of this attack were wiped out when he was left with the amnesia he suffered until Fantastic Four #4.
- Saga of the Sub-Mariner #7 clarifies that the ruins that Namor found in Fantastic Four #4 was actually an Atlantean outpost, not the former kingdom of Atlantis.
What Have I Created?
- This story is recapped in West Coast Avengers Annual #3
- Although the High Evolutionary hyper-evolves himself into a god-like being, he eventually returns to human form in Marvel Premiere #1.
Events in this story happen behind the scenes that affect the chronologies of the following characters:
- Page 1-6, Panel 2 - The Hulk battles the New Men.
- Page 6, Panel 3-Page 10, Panel 4 - The Hulk witnesses the High Evolutionary ascend to godhood, teleported back to Earth.
- Page 10, Panel 5-8 - Hulk leaps away.
- Page 1-3, Panel 4 - The High Evolutionary battles his New Men, is seriously wounded.
- Page 3, Panel 5-Page 6, Panel 2 - Watches the Hulk battle his creation
- Page 6, Panel 3-Page 7, Panel 4 - High Evolutionary realizes the only way he can live is to hyper-evolve himself.
- Page 7, Panel 5-Page 7, Panel 6 - The Evolutionary strips off his armor.
- Page 7, Panel 7-Page 8, Panel 1 - Activates his evolutionary device.
- Page 8, Panel 2-Page 10, Panel 4 - The High Evolutionary turns into a higher being dissipates.
Somewhere Stands Skull Island!
- In the opening splash page in "Somewhere Stands Skull Island" Namor is depicted as wearing his crown, cape and holding the Trident of Neptune. However, in the next panel he is not.
- Also on the splash page, one of the guards in the throne room is depicted as Byrrah. This is obviously a mistake given that Byrrah had recently been banished from Atlantis in Tales to Astonish #91.
- Pencils (story pages): Everett pages 1-9, 11, 12, Roth page 10 and possibly touch-ups on the faces of the Plunderer and his accomplice on page 6, panel 3; page 9, panels 3 and 4; the last panel on page 11 and the first panel on page 12.
- This issue is reprinted in the comics and books, see references for more info.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Tales to Astonish Vol 1 96 on the forums
- 2 Images from Tales to Astonish Vol 1 96
- 1 Reprints of Tales to Astonish Vol 1 96
|Like this? Let us know!|