After tests involving Ka-Zar, Thor, and the Avengers proved the clones a failure due to them exhibiting nihilistic and destructive behaviors, Thanos scheduled them for recycling; however, a secret player blasted a hole in the roof of one of his hideouts' subterranean section, and consequently activated five of the replicants: Armour, Mystic, Omega, Warrior, and X.
These Thanosi then banded together to bring about the end of the universe and believed that they could do this by capturing Adam Warlock so he could direct them to the cosmic being Atlez, the Anchor of Reality, and his successor Atleza. By killing Atlez and his successor, the universe would come to end (this was actually a scheme created by Atlez to aid Adam in finding his successor Atleza).
X impersonated Thanos using a telepathic illusion and directed Pip the Troll to kidnap Adam Warlock as he was recovering from insanity on an alien planet.
X required information from Warlock, who previously made contact with Atlez. Gamora located the real Thanos, and with the aid of Warlock, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, and Moondragon, killed four of the the Thanosi.
However, the final clone, Omega, had gone to Earth to kill Atlez's successor Atleza and destroy the Earth. Omega was prevented from doing so after being teleported with the heroes to a barren planet where they battled. Thanos transported the heroes back to Earth and had a fleet of alien mercenaries destroy the planet, killing Omega. This allowed Atleza to take Atlez's place as the Anchor of Reality and thus sparing the universe from destruction.
- The Thanosi were introduced by Jim Starlin in Infinity Abyss in order to retcon the appearances of Thanos in Ka-Zar Vol 4, Thor Vol 2, X-Man Annual #1998 and Avengers: Celestial Quest.
- In She-Hulk Vol 2 #12, it was implied that the Thanos defeated by Squirrel Girl in GLX-Mas Special #1 was actually one of the Thanosi, despite Uatu having verified that he was not. On trial and under oath, Thanos claimed that he had perfected his clones to the point that they were so indistinguishable from him that not even cosmic beings could tell the difference. However, this Thanos was himself a clone with modified memories - leaving whether or not Squirrel Girl defeated the real Thanos somewhat ambiguous.
- 7 Thanosi (Earth-616) Members
- 17 Appearances of Thanosi (Earth-616)
- 1 Minor Appearances of Thanosi (Earth-616)
- 3 Media Thanosi (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 5 Images that include Thanosi (Earth-616)
- Team Gallery: Thanosi (Earth-616)