- Though thou be truly pure of heart – in thine innocence, thou art fair misguided! The true guru thou seekest doth lie within thyselves! Heed you now these words: 'Tis not by dropping out – but by plunging in – into the maelstrom of life itself – that thou shalt find thy wisdom! There be causes to espouse!! There be battles to be won! There be glory and grandeur all about thee – if thou wilt but see! Aye, there will be time enow for thee to disavow thy heritage – yea, thou mayest drop out fore'er – once Hela herself hath come for thee! But, so long as life endures – thou must live it to the full! Else, thou be unworthy of the title – Man!
- -- Thor
Appearing in "...To Wake the Mangog!"
- Mangog (First appearance)
- Legion of the Lost (Only appearance)
- Muggers Incorporated (Only appearance)
Synopsis for "...To Wake the Mangog!"
Continued from last issue...
The battle between Thor and Loki has been stopped by Odin who has called Thor's attention to an upcoming threat to Asgard that he must be ready for, allowing Loki to make his escape. Agreeing to come to Asgard's aid, Thor decides to first check on Sif who is being treated for injuries she sustained during the battle. He left Sif recovering at the nearby hospital while he was battling Loki. As Thor checks on his lover's status, he is visited by Hela who has come to take Sif to Valhalla. Thor refuses to allow Hela to take his lover, and when Hela attempts to entice Thor into joining the warriors of the dead in Valhalla, Thor refuses even when he is beckoned by his old foe Harokin to join them. Upon refusal, Hela departs leaving Thor to contemplate on the situation.
While deep below Asgard, Ulik travels through a mysterious glowing cavern pondering the possible mystical properties of the rocks. He comes across a giant door with a warning to those who happen upon it to leave what is behind it undisturbed, by decree of Odin. Surmising that it is some powerful ally whom he can use to aid the Rock Trolls in taking over all of Asgard, Ulik unthinkingly smashes the stone door open, freeing Mangog, a demonic creature whose race was decimated by Odin and as its lone survivor, was sealed away. Mangog then beats Ulik into submission, finding a use for the Rock Troll in his ultimate goal to destroy Odin and all of Asgard.
Back on Earth, Thor changes back into Donald Blake so that he can utilize his medical knowledge to continue to treat Sif. After a brief interruption from a nurse, Blake is happy to see Sif awaken from her coma, a sign that she is going to survive her ordeal. With the nurse dismissed, Blake tells Sif to rest easy and tells her that he has unfinished business to attend to. Resuming his Thor identity, the Thunder God continues to seek out Loki, unaware that the Trickster God has made himself invisible to Thor's naked eye. Furious at having to hide and not being allowed to attack his hated foe, Loki angrily returns to Asgard to plot anew.
Arriving in Asgard, Loki is told that the Cave of the Ages has been opened and that its prisoner is advancing towards Asgard. This comes at wrong time as Odin has once more entered his needed Odin sleep. Seizing on the situation, Loki takes advantage of his royal heritage and assumes command of the Asgardian throne under the pretense of aiding the realm, but secretly planning to take full control forever.
Meanwhile on Earth, Thor comes across a robbery in progress and smashes it up. When the police arrive, the arresting officer tells Thor that the crooks are part of a criminal outfit known as Muggers Incorporated. Continuing his search for Loki, Thor decides to ask people in the neighborhood if they have seen his mischievous stepbrother. He comes across a group of Hippies who mock Thor's appearance, and so Thor gives them a show of his power and sends them running in fear, convinced that Thor is not an imposter.
While back in Asgard, in the castle of Karnilla the Norn Queen, Karnilla continues to attempt to seduce Balder, who is impatient to leave her realm. Before he can go, she shows him a hall full of other warriors who spurned her love and found themselves frozen into statues and asks Balder to consider his position wisely. Not willing to be enslaved by a woman, Balder raises his sword, prompting Karnilla to take action against her desired amour.
Elsewhere, Ulik and Mangog escape from the Cavern of the Ages, where Mangog reveals his full plan: Not just the destruction of Odin himself, but the intention of bringing about Ragnarok as well. While back on Earth, Thor awaits the call of Odin, completely unaware that Odin is currently in the Odin sleep.
This story is continued next issue...
- Ragnarok is a prophesied destruction of Asgard and the Asgardian gods.
- Once a year, Odin must perform the Odin-sleep, in which he must sleep undisturbed for a day or he loses all of his powers and wisdom.
- First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|