Thoth was the son of the primordial goddess Gaea (known as Neith to the Egyptian gods) and of the Demiurge (Nun), and the little brother to Atum (Ammon Ra). He was born in Khemennu, near modern-day El Ashmunein, Egypt.
Millions years ago, Atum battled his uncle, the Elder God Set (Apep). Ibis oversaw the epic battle, making sure neither side completely overtake the other one (as Set and Atum represented respectively chaos and order).
Thoth, as Ibis, was worshipped during the Hyborian Age in parts of Nemedia and Stygia. He opposed various evil beings, including Set and the demon Azoth, directly and indirectly (by empowering talismans such as the Eye of Ibis and the Staff of Ibis).
The priest Karanthes channeled Thoth's energy through his Staff of Ibis to return the demon Jaggta-Noga to his nether realm, and later invoked Ibis himself to destroy the evil god-sorcer Zukala's citadel.
Around 10,000 BC, the worship of the Heliopolitans started by the inhabitants of the Nile River Valley.
As Atum became Ammon Ra, primordial sun god worshiped in Egypt, he presumably sired, then ruled the Ogdoad, the first generation of Egyptian gods, Thoth became the primordial moon god and served as his arbitrator and grand vizier,. from Hermopolis (also known as Khmun, near modern-day el-Ashmunein, Egypt).
- Some myths state the Ogdoad sired Thoth and Ra, but that misconception is due to the elderly appearance of the Ogdoad.
Possibly imperfect, and aging more rapidly than their virtually immortal rulers, the Ogdoad eventually perished, Ra sired the first Ennead, the next generations of Egyptians. He eventually left, replaced by his son Shu. Thoth remained and kept on serving the Helipolitan ruler.
When the Helipolitan ruler Osiris and his family were imprisoned within a pyramid on Earth by god of evil Seth, Thoth served as the Ennead's ruler in Celestial Heliopolis. Thoth served as the god of wisdom and the moon, however he was ousted from that mantle by Khonshu.
- It was hypothesized that the Wakandan Gorilla God was possibly Thoth in his ape form but it is known now that Vodū god Ghekre is the Gorilla God.
Powers and Abilities
- Superhuman Strength: Thoth can lift about 90 tons.
- Metaphorm: Thoth is metamorph, and usually assumes the form of an ibis or an ibis-headed humanoid. He has also an ape aspect.
- Virtual Immortal: Thoth is a virtual immortal, who aged at an extraordinary slow rate, contrary to the Ennead who are true immortals.
Thoth can empower magical totems, such as the Eye of Ibis and Staff of Ibis.
Although avoiding physical confrontation, is a formidable combatant.
Thoth can lift about 90 tons.
He wields his powerful Was-Sceptre in combat.
- Thoth, in his ape aspect, was hypothesized to possibly be the White Gorilla / Gorilla God.
- In our reality, Thoth does not integrate Ennead.
- 10 appearance(s) of Thoth (Earth-616)
- 4 minor appearance(s) of Thoth (Earth-616)
- 18 mentions of Thoth (Earth-616)
- 6 image(s) of Thoth (Earth-616)
- 1 item(s) used/owned by Thoth (Earth-616)
Links and References
- Toth at the Guide to the Mythological Universe
- Thoth (Ennead; Egyptian gods; Ibis) at The Appendix to the Handbook of the Marvel Universe