The World Still Needs Heroes. THUNDERSTRIKE --Inscription on the mace Thunderstrike.
The mace replaced the hammer Mjolnir as Kevin Masterson's weapon.
The Enchanted mace Thunderstrike is very similar to Mjolnir, it is also made of mystic uru metal and is nearly indestructible,
- Worthiness: There is no proof, but it is believed that, just like the original Mjolnir, no one can lift the mace who is not worthy. Although, it is possible that it is not a matter of worthiness, but that Odin made it so that only Eric Masterson can lift it. This is based on the fact that in MC2, Eric's son, Kevin Masterson was given the Thunderstrike Enchanted Mace by Jarvis, the Avengers butler, as per his father's will but, as the mace was appearently made only for his father alone, Kevin was unable to use it as his father had.
- Power of Recall: When the owner of Thunderstrike throws the mace, it returns to their hand with irresistable force. In the same way, he can summon it to himself even if it has not been thrown.
- Transformation: By stamping the mace, the owner of Thunderstrike can revert to their mortal human form, dressed in whichever clothes they had last woren in that form, while the mace transforms into a wooden cane. Then, by stamping the cane they turn back into their superhuman form, and the cane again becomes the mace.
- Force Projection: Being a mace, Thunderstrike can be used as a blunt force melee weapon or as a throwing weapon. Based on the theory that it has the same atributes as Mjolnir, it can absorb, magnify, and return almost any type of force. By itself, the mace could create ground tremors, when struck against the ground, or whirlwinds, when swung around. They can also use the mace to project powerful concussive blasts of mystical energy.
- Flight: By throwing the mace and gripping its strap, the owner of Thunderstrike can fly. The mace magically enables the owner to survive the adverse conditions of outer space, including its lack of oxygen.
- Portal Creation: It was never comfirmed, but in theory, when swung at a particular pitch, perhaps only by Thor, the mace can open a portal to any desired dimension (such as Asgard).
- Energy Sensing: The mace can detect most types of energy. It reacts particularly strongly to evil psychic energy.
- Illumination: The mace can glow to provide a limited amount of light.
After the death of Eric Masterson the Mace Thunderstrike Mace was given to the US Government who turned it over to the Avengers. When he took over S.H.I.E.L.D. Steve Rogers turned possession of the mace over to Eric's troubled son Kevin. When Kevin accidentally activated the mace he turned into an exact duplicate of his father when he was Thunderstrike.
The engraving on the side of the mace, "The World Still Needs Heroes" is also what Thor added to Eric Masterson's gravestone after he died from the battle betwen his own personallity and the one that came with the Bloodaxe.
Thor Vol. 1, #459, Thunderstrike #1, #24, Quasar #47, What If vol. 2 #105, and A-Next #1.
- 83 Appearances of Thunderstrike (Item)
- 1 Minor Appearances of Thunderstrike (Item)
- 1 Media Thunderstrike (Item) was Mentioned in
- 57 Images featuring Thunderstrike (Item)
- Item Gallery: Thunderstrike (Item)
Links and References
- Thor Vol. 1, #459, Thunderstrike #1 - #24