The Triads originated in China as secret societies and over time evolved into criminal organizations. Various costumed superheroes, mutants, and vigilantes have had encounters with the Triads and their affiliates. The Triads being an organized crime group are involved in a wide variety of criminal activities, including narcotics, prostitution, money laundering, gambling, human trafficking, contraband smuggling, and protection rackets.
A number of Chinese crime lords ran empires that crossed oceans or encompassed whole continents, including; (Fu Manchu, Yi Yang, Marcus Tsung, and Mister Negative). Fu Manchu controlled a global crime empire, Marcus Tsung's criminal empire stretched across three large nations (China, India, and Russia), Yi Yang controlled an empire with operations in both the United States and Russia, and Mister Negative's empire is present in both the United States and China.
Triads, Black Societies, and Tongs
- Clan Fei, China-based
- Black Dragon Tong, San Francisco-based
- Lucky Few Triad, Hong Kong-based
- Missing Sixes Triad, Hong Kong-based
- Dragon Tong, New York City-based
- Sydney Triad, based in Australia
- August Dragon Clan, based in Canada
- Wild Tiger Mob, Hong Kong-based
- Steel Lotus Group
- Coiled Serpent Syndicate
- Sleeping Dragon Clan
- Praying Mantis Tong, San Francisco-based (shown in SFPD chart)
- Red Lotus Tong, San Francisco-based (shown in SFPD chart)
- Phoenix Triad (mentioned), Hong Kong-based
- White Lotus Society (mentioned), Hong Kong-based
- Savage Tigers (American branch of White Lotus), New York City-based
- Mister Negative, mutate crime lord, presently Shanghai-based, formerly New York City-based.
- Fu Manchu, former overlord of the Chinese criminal underworld (worldwide).
- Marcus Tsung, mutant overlord of a crime empire spanning China, Russia, and India.
- Fah Lo Suee, aka the Cursed Lotus.
- Plan Chu, aka the Golden Claw.
- Mandarin, former overlord of the Hong Kong Triads and later Mandarin City's Triads.
- Lady Chi, Serpent Leader of the Triads, a superhuman, and co-leader of Clan Fei.
- Suwan, aka the Jade Claw, overlord of a continent-sized subterranean crime empire.
- Lord Remaker, former overlord of the Mandarin City Triads.
- Bruce Lam, boss of the August Dragon Clan.
- Robert Fong, New York City-based.
- Deng Ling-Xiao, boss of the Wild Tiger Mob.
- Yi Yang, immortal 6,000 year old boss of the Dragon Tong.
- Dark Tongji, magician boss of the Missing Sixes Triad.
- Jessán Hoan, crime overlord of Madripoor.
- Fat Cobra, overlord of the San Francisco Triads & a Chi Master.
- Leiko Wu, leader of a Triad in London.
- Skull-Crusher, former Triad boss in London.
- White Dragon, boss of the NY City Dragon Lords and London Triad leader.
- Nataku Fei,co-leader of Clan Fei.
- Hsien Ming-Ho, boss of the Steel Lotus Group.
- Mao Liu-Cho, boss of the Coiled Serpent Syndicate.
- Chiang Kai-Dong, boss of the Sleeping Dragon Clan.
- Roger "Big Man" Chan
- Wolverine, former overlord of the San Francisco Triads.
Weapons: Directed energy weapons, walker-like gun platforms, bipedal robots,, high-tech battlesuits with visored helmets., and state-of-the art firearms (comparable to what Hydra or SHIELD agents would have).
- In the real world, the Triads are just one form of organized crime in both China and within the Chinese Diaspora. Other types of Chinese crime groups are the "Black Societies" (mainland China), the "Jhao Po" (Thailand), and of course the Tongs. Chinese organized crime groups range from corporate-like syndicates (China) to quasi-street gangs (e.g. the Wah Ching). These groups number in the 1000s, and in China there may be over 4,000 criminal groups with up to 30 million members. Based in Hong Kong is perhaps the biggest, richest, best organized, and most powerful Chinese Triad and criminal organization, the Sun Yee On.
- Chinese organized crime is estimated to earn $100s of billions every year and maybe over a trillion dollars annually. They dominate the manufacturing and trade in counterfeit goods, a business valued at hundreds of billions a year. Another illicit market they dominate is the illegal sports betting underground, also valued in the hundreds of billions. Then there is the tens of billions they earn in other illicit markets; illegal drugs (heroin, crystal meth, ketamine), environmental crime (ivory, timber, animal parts, coal, etc), arms trafficking, people smuggling, credit card fraud, etc.
- 59 Triads (Earth-616) Members
- 5 Appearances of Triads (Earth-616)
- 1 Minor Appearances of Triads (Earth-616)
- 5 Media Triads (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 1 Images that include Triads (Earth-616)
- Team Gallery: Triads (Earth-616)
Links and References
- Chinese Triads at Wikipedia.org
- Stratfor: Organized Crime in China
- Black Societies and Triad-like Organised Crime in China
- U.S. Congress: Transnational Activities of Chinese Crime Organizations
- United Nations: Transnational Organized Crime in East Asia and the Pacific
- Global Security: Chinese Organized Crime
- Havocscope: Black Market in China
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Wolverine: Manifest Destiny #4
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Deadly Hands of Kung Fu Vol 2 #4
- ↑ Marvel Atlas 2007
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Scarlet Witch Vol 2 #7
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #3
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Deadly Hands of Kung Fu Vol 2 #2
- ↑ Punisher Vol 2 #17
- ↑ Wolverine Vol 2 #35
- ↑ Amazing Spider-Man Vol 4 #7
- ↑ Master of Kung Fu #62
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Punisher Vol 2 #51
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 Araña: The Heart of the Spider #7
- ↑ Wolverine: Manifest Destiny #1
- ↑ Hulk Comic (UK) #15
- ↑ X-Treme X-Men #5
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Punisher War Journal #61
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Journey into Mystery #514
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 18.3 18.4 18.5 X-Men Vol 2 #62
- ↑ Wonder Man #10
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 Iron Man Vol 5 #19
- ↑ Hulk Comic (UK) #17
- ↑ Wolverine Vol 2 #304
- ↑ Amazing Spider-Man #184
- ↑ Punisher Vol 6 #34
- ↑ Solution #1
- ↑ Solution #14
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 Iron Man: Armored Adventures Season 1 1
- ↑ Iron Man: Armored Adventures Season 1 2
- ↑ Iron Man Vol 5 #22
- ↑ Iron Man Vol 5 #21
- ↑ 31.0 31.1 X-Treme X-Men #9
- ↑ Iron Man Vol 5 #19-22