The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) or Soviet Union, sometimes referred to as 'Russia', was a multinational Communist state that existed between 1917 and 1991. It was located in Eurasian continent with parts both in Europe and Asia. It's capital was Moscow and it fought as one of the Allies during World War II. After the World War II, Soviet Union rebuilt and expanded its economy, while maintaining its strictly centralized control. It aided post-war reconstruction in the countries of Eastern Europe and against the United States of America during the Cold War. Following the dissolution of the Soviet Union on 26 December 1991, Russia was internationally recognized as its legal successor on the international stage. The Communist Party of the Soviet Union was the founding and ruling political party of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.
Points of Interest
- Soviet Socialist Republics
- Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff)
- Commissar (Alexi Bruskin)
- Crimson Dynamo (Anton Vanko)
- Crimson Dynamo (Boris Turgenov)
- Nikita Khrushchev
- Red Barbarian (Andre Rostov)
- Red Guardian (Alexi Shostakov)
The Earth-616 Universe operates on a sliding timescale, which means a lot of regional, political, current event, and pop-culture references are considered topical for the period they were published in. That said, many of the stories that were published during the Cold War that took place in the "modern era" (every tale post 1961, the year Fantastic Four #1 came out) are topical. One should consider references to the USSR and the former Soviet Union in this way. The Marvel Handbooks typically change the reference to something more general along the lines of a "communist country" or simply "Russia," instead of the Soviet Union.
- 77 Appearances of Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
- 7 Minor Appearances of Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
- 41 Media Union of Soviet Socialist Republics was Mentioned in
- Location Gallery: Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
- 1 Images related to Union of Soviet Socialist Republics