Considering the recent changes about the Spear, I'm recreating that page to work. Everything confirmed will go to Brotherhood of the Spear (Earth-616).
The content about the Spear and ancient Hydra(s) are listed on those pages:
This page contains information about:
- Thule Society
- The various formations/reformations of Hydra, from mid-40s to 70s.
- The S.P.E.A.R., counterpart to S.H.I.E.L.D..
- The Hand:
- The Sickly Ones, the Snakeroot and the successive Hand reformations
- Their relations to other groups such as Hydra
Are now ignored:
- Everything discovered in pre-Secret Empire about Hydra originating from the Spear: Everything is now there: Hydra/Spear (Earth-TRN640).
Many parts of this page are susceptible to be removed in the future, for various reasons:
- Some sections focused on other organizations (Thule Society, Hand, etc.) as their relations to the Spear and Hydra remains blurry, and serve as a framework.
- Is the Spear considered as a branch of a greater brotherhood or an independent group all the way ?
listing the possible links with the Hand (likely to be removed if no relation found)
Sickly Ones and the Hand
Allegedly four billion years ago, the "founding fathers" of what is known as the Hand started their activism, worshiping the Beast and killing what lived. Under various forms, they carried on their mission: "Dishonor God by destroying what he's made".
Despite its multi-billion years old origin, the Hand has been stated to be an organization tracking back to feudal times, originated from 800 years ago, sometimes in the 10th century, or from the end of the 16th century. The Nail allegedly operated for thousands of years.
This category is for pre-formation and/or early years of the Spear.
End of the Second Dynasty
In 2620 B.C., the Brood attacked Egypt and killed Pharaoh Khasekhemwy Khasekhemui, ending the Second Great Dynasty. Imhotep led a coalition of warriors, including En Sabah Nur and the Moon Knight, and annihilated the aliens.
In 114 A.D., during the Han Dynasty, Zhang Heng had possession of the Spear. He met with the pregnant Celestial "Madonna" and avoided the consumption of Earth or the Moon for nourishment of the infant Celestial by suggesting the use of the Sun as gestation place.
Zhang Heng used the spear on some occasions, using to enforce the Brotherhood's goals and protect his country.
Hand and Snakeroot originated sometimes in the 10th century,
Corruption and Hydra birth
Thanks to alien reptiles' evil seed, both part of the greater Brotherhood became corrupted: while the West, the Brotherhood of the Shield, turned inwards and devoured itself, the East flew apart, dissipating itself generations after generations. The Eastern Brotherhood of the Spear, now simply referred by its enemy, the Shield, as the Beast, spread out, ingraining itself into all facets of human society - science, magic, politics - like a multi-headed monster.
At the height of the East, the Last Caliphate, the three brothers of Causality (the embodiment of branching time: What is, what has come before, what will be) were hidden away at the request of the Forever Man (Michelangelo).
The Hand was allegedly a cadre of ninjas, thieves and assassins formed over 800 years ago to fight the oppressive system of feudal Japan, later falling to corruption and darkness when they were corrupted by the Snakeroot clan.
Another account stated the Hand started in 1575, in Kyushu, with Kagenobu Yoshioka who killed a foreigner threatening his mother. The blame went to her, and Kagenobu was taken in custody of Saburo Ishiyama who trained him in the ways of the Samuraï at the Ishiyama School. A masterless Samuraï, Kagenobu served Japan, opposing corruption and injustice for three years. At his sensei's death, he return to the School to lead it in 1588, offering a role of co-leader to his former rival Daisuke Sasaki.
Learning that the Daimyos implemented regulations to the schools, Kagenobu decided to send messengers to other like-minded schools and form a secret society opposing the government, causing the resurgence of the Hand that year. In autumn 88, he attacked a foreigner ship in Kyushu, slaughtering the whole crew. In summer 1590, the Inner Circle of the Hand gathered at the Ishiyama School. Kagenoby later accepted Eliza Martinez, a half-breed Japanese girl, to join the school, using her father to gather information but growing feeling for her. On autumn 1592, she was accepted among the Hand (and in Kagenobu's bed). Soon, the Hand grew this large that it became hard to control it: Communication between the sects broke off, Hand agents sold their skill as mercenaries and committing crimes against Japanase, rumors or dissension. Eliza's lineage was revealed to some, and in 1594, Hand members tried to kill her, seeing her as a disease infecting the Hand and corrupting Kagenobu. Kagenobu confronted Saski (who had called the Inner Circle to discuss the Hand without Kagenobu), killed his rival and soon confronted the Inner Circle. Despite killing many members, the duo was defeated, and ended their lives rather than be killed by their enemies. The remaining Inner Circle members then brought them back to life, using the resurrection ritual for the first time, as the Hand's deadly weapons.
"From the East the Spear falls to the Beast,
It shall call to the blood of the Gorgon,
And for a time it will fall silent,
Then it shall burn brilliant, betrayal and vengeance!
-- Nostradamus' prediction
In 1941 Strucker was contacted by the cabal of ninjas known as the Hand, which had just broken a long time agreement with the crime mastermind Romulus and wanted to form new alliances. At that time, the Hand was trying to capture young Russian killer Natalia Romanova to turn her into their Master Assassin; to show his loyalty to the Hand, Strucker approached and kidnapped Natalia, bringing her to Madripoor as a gift for the ninjas.
However, Strucker did not know that Natalia, secretly an agent of Romulus, was given the mission to kill the Jonin of the Hand, and she was ready to accomplish her destiny during the Hand's ritual that would have elected her as the Master Assassin; however, Logan, another agent of Romulus who had trained and saved Natalia several times, popped up from shadow and killed the Jonin instead, avoiding to make the young Natalia a killer again. Captain America and Ivan Petrovich helped Logan fighting the Hand, while Strucker escaped in the battle's chaos.
Later in 1941, Strucker directed a secret Hydra operation in Tunisia, using as a cover another Nazi operation on the same place. He was attacked by Captain America, his sidekick Bucky and Logan, but the Strucker killed by Bucky was just an impersonator; Logan found and nearly killed Strucker, but he was stopped from a call by Seraph, who ordered him to protect the Baron, with whom Romulus had made an agreement.
Formation of modern Hydra
Sometime before 1943, the leader of Nazi's Thule Society, the Red Skull, after having seen how Hitler's Reich was falling in pieces, started creating a secret organization in Japan merging several underground Japanese societies, including the Hand, with fugitive members of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan.
After having failed several missions, Adolf Hitler ordered Baron von Strucker's death. He then contacted Red Skull, who helped him escaping from Germany to Japan, where he joined the Skull's organization, renamed it Hydra, and killed its Supreme Leader, seizing control of the organization and merging it with its own Hydra. As the Supreme Hydra, Strucker created the Hydra Base Tsunami, better known as the Hydra Island.
Hydra was subsumed by the Reich, instead of their intent of using the Nazis to further their own goals. The Red Skull virtually took control of Hydra from its leaders, as Fenhoff pledged loyalty to him, Arnim Zola had already joined their ranks before, Heinrich Zemo was dead and the Kraken was in hiding. He forced Captain America to pledged loyalty as well, offering to save him and Elisa Sinclair. Steve reluctantly accepted. Then, the Skull merged Sinclair's Hydra with the also already existent Baron Strucker's Hydra.
After Elisa informed him that the Allies were building the Cosmic Cube, they went to England where she explained him the full extent of the Cube's powers and what would happen then, urging Steve to join the Pacific theater of the War and meet Kraken.
As the Allies were using their Cosmic Cube to reshape reality for them to win the war over Hydra, Kraken and the Father briefed Captain America on his future, and he went into Nostradamus' divining pool which protected him from the alteration, sending him into the altered version of himself.
Elisa Sinclair escaped the alteration by unknown means, though she promised Steve that to be reunited with him, she wold call upon the Elder Gods, consult the forbidden books and would even sell her own soul to achieve the goal.
In 1956, the Brotherhood of the Shield underwent a schism, ending with the retreat of Isaac Newton in the future, along with the Celestial Star Child. In order to pursue them, Michelango, Leonardo da Vinci, Leonid, Nathaniel Richards, Howard Stark, Nostradamus and Nikola Tesla awakened the Last Caliphate, and together, they used the Human Machine to travel to the future.
In 1961, Shield's Grandmaster Leonardo da Vinci organized several important people in spionage's world in a loose partnership known as the Great Wheel of Zodiac. Led by Da Vinci himself as Aries, the Wheel included the Nick and Jake Fury, Hydra's leader Baron von Strucker, Hand's Grandmaster Shoji Soma, Leviathan's founders Viktor Uvarov and Vasili Dassiev, Thomas Davidson, Timothy Dugan, John Garrett, Cornelius van Lunt and Spear's agent Daniel Whitehall.
The Great Wheel accomplished several missions for Aries, including the discover of The Brood's alien technology in Egypt, Zargos Mountains and France. In France, the Fury brothers and Thomas Davidson found the Brood's replicant technology, which originated the first two Life-Model Decoys, the ones of Jake Fury and Thomas Davidson. However, Uvarov and Dassiev started operating behind the scenes using the alien technology for Leviathan's own purposes, betraying the Great Wheel after having learned from Davidson how to activate Pieta's secret protocols. As a consequence, the Wheel later disbanded.
After the breaking of the Great Wheel, Strucker's Hydra and Soma's Hand allied to attack Leviathan, and the Spear was used to stab Viktor Uvarov. It was seemingly left behind, and its subsequent fate is unknown.
Soon after having become director of S.H.I.E.L.D., Fury recruited former Great Wheel member Thomas Davidson to built the organization's new technological setup based on the old Leviathan's system, themselves based on original Pieta's protocols. Then, Fury sent the duplicate of Davidson created by Brood's technology in France as an undercover member in Hydra. This way, Strucker learned from "Davidson" how to have access into S.H.I.E.L.D.'s systems and used the protocols to secretly observe the organization's activities; Strucker also had "Davidson" building the entire Hydra's technology spying system, them also based on Pieta's protocols. This way, the real Davidson easily had access to Hydra systems, and Fury used them to observe Hydra while Hydra was observing S.H.I.E.L.D.
Hand-Hydra alliance / Hydra Civil War
Legendary Hydra agent Kraken went (on his own) to Kobe, Japan, and gave the Godkiller blade to Tomi Shishido, aka the Gorgon, to help him achieve his destiny. Gorgon then went to the Hand and committed suicide (in order to be resurrected).
As Gorgon left to follow their goals in leading Hydra, "ushering in the end with infinite resources", the sickly masters of the Hand erected a resurrected "Elektra" as a queen to rule from the East. Elektra, along with Wolverine, soon killed the masters and decimated the Hand's ranks.
After the invasion of Earth by Thanos, in which the super-powered team Dynasty was decimated, China realized their lack of defense ressources, it instated S.P.E.A.R., which became its premier first response and intelligence gathering organization, with over one hundred and fifty thousands operatives, and the Ascendants super-powered team.
The New High Council of Hydra
She came to Tomi Shishido, offering him to restore his empire, the Spear in the East, by joining the new Hydra High Council, along with Zola, Faustus, the new Kraken, Hive, Viper and Captain America.
Commanding S.H.I.E.L.D., Captain America, helped by Elisa, the High Council, and infiltrators in both S.H.I.E.L.D. and A.I.M., was able to take overtake the agency and the USA, while recalling Hydra of its past, rejecting both the Red Skull's influence and the Wheel of Pieta, intending to rule it instead.
- Zhang Heng has a blurry status: He is stated to be part of no group, but was later stated to continue the work of the Brotherhood (in the greater meaning).
- "The Shield in the West, the Spear in the East" is seemingly one of motto of the Brotherhood, being used by Zhang Heng, the Brotherhood of the Shield, Hydra, and S.P.E.A.R., as well as "This is not how the world end".
- The "founding fathers" of the Hand are rumored to be still alive in modern days.
- In Wolverine Vol 3 #26, Elsbeth von Strucker mentioned the Sickly Ones, entities having waited a chosen one for almost four billion years. In Wolverine Vol 3 #29, the "founding fathers" of the Hand are stated to going back four billions years, and worshiped the Beast. They appear later in the issue, presenting themselves as "sickly" and the "veterans of the Oldest War".
- Jake Fury, under the guise of Kraken, stated to his "fellow" Hydra leaders that they were the Spear, while their opponents, led by Nick Fury, were the Shield, and that it had been that way "for ages", "from the very beginning", hinting that Hydra considered itself as the Brotherhood of the Spear. This statement could be confirmed by Secret Empire #0, where it was revealed that Isaac Newton, the Father of Hydra, birthed the organizations from the Brotherhood of the Spear.
- Early Spear carrier Zhang Heng and S.P.E.A.R. director Director Zheng have similar names.
- Appearances of Undoniel/Brotherhood of the Spear (Earth-616)
- Minor Appearances of Undoniel/Brotherhood of the Spear (Earth-616)
- Media Undoniel/Brotherhood of the Spear (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- Images that include Undoniel/Brotherhood of the Spear (Earth-616)
- Team Gallery: Undoniel/Brotherhood of the Spear (Earth-616)
Links and References
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 S.H.I.E.L.D. Vol 3 #9
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 S.H.I.E.L.D. Vol 2 #4
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Wolverine Vol 3 #29
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Wolverine Vol 3 #26
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Shadowland: Daughters of the Shadow #2's recap
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Marvel Atlas #1; Japan's entry
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Elektra: The Hand #3
- ↑ Shadowland: Daughters of the Shadow #1
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 S.H.I.E.L.D. #1
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Secret Warriors #1; Hydra timeline
- ↑ Elektra Root of Evil #2
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 S.H.I.E.L.D. #4
- ↑ Elektra: The Hand #1
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Elektra: The Hand #2
- ↑ Elektra: The Hand #4
- ↑ Elektra: The Hand #5
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 18.3 18.4 18.5 Secret Warriors #25
- ↑ Wolverine: Origins #17
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 Wolverine: Origins #18-19
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 21.2 21.3 Wolverine: Origins #16
- ↑ Wolverine: Origins #18
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 Uncanny X-Men #268
- ↑ Wolverine: Origins #19
- ↑ Wolverine: Origins #20
- ↑ Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #29; according to Japan's entry in Marvel Atlas #1 it happened at least before August 1945, but as per Sgt Fury #29 and Fury #1, those events took place before 1943
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 27.2 Secret Warriors #1; Hydra Timeline
- ↑ Secret Warriors #12
- ↑ 29.0 29.1 Captain Savage #4
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 30.2 30.3 Fury #1
- ↑ Fear Itself: Book of the Skull #1
- ↑ Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #29
- ↑ Marvel Universe #1
- ↑ Captain Savage #2-4
- ↑ 35.0 35.1 35.2 Captain America: Steve Rogers #14
- ↑ 36.0 36.1 36.2 36.3 Captain America: Steve Rogers #15
- ↑ Captain America: Steve Rogers #16; the Skull is seen with Hydra agents who wear Strucker's Hydra Uniforms.
- ↑ 38.0 38.1 38.2 38.3 Captain America: Steve Rogers #16
- ↑ 39.0 39.1 39.2 Secret Empire #0
- ↑ Daniel Whitehall's Spear membership is possibly recalled in Captain America: Steve Rogers #16, where Captain America mentions the Great Wheel to be connected with Shield, Spear and Leviathan; however, Hydra and Hand have been not mentioned.
- ↑ 41.0 41.1 Secret Warriors #26
- ↑ Secret Warriors #11
- ↑ Wolverine Vol 3 #24
- ↑ 44.0 44.1 44.2 Avengers World #7
- ↑ Avengers World #13
- ↑ Captain America: Steve Rogers #12
- ↑ U.S.Avengers #5
- ↑ S.H.I.E.L.D. Vol 2 #1; Zhang Heng's entry
- ↑ Captain America: Steve Rogers #7
- ↑ Secret Warriors #4