The Vilayet Pirates, including the Red Brotherhood, sailed its waters. It was also the resting place of eldritch horror such as Khosatral Khel, the Ancient from the Abyss, or Tolometh, Black God of the Abyss.
The Vilayet Sea started as a string of lakes formed at the time of the Cataclysm. The Lesser Cataclysm formed the basin of the Vilayet, which was filled by the melting ice of the Far North (due to the warming climate).
- Khosatral Khel, the Ancient from the Abyss eventually came across the primitive inhabitants of the island of Dagonia, and he gave them culture and civilization as he was pleased to do so. With him, they built the city of Dagonia. At some point, the brutish people self-styled Yuetshi attacked Dagonia and were enslaved for nearly a generation, until a Yuetshi priest used a knife forged of a meteor and defeated Khosatral while his people revolted. At some point, the brutish Yuetshi attacked Dagonia and were enslaved for nearly a generation, until a Yuetshi priest used a knife forged of a meteor and defeated Khosatral while his people revolted.
- Far below lay the half-crumbled towers and walls of a city which sank beneath its waves.
Late Hyborian Age
At the end of the Hyborian Age, the Cimmerians pushed through the Hyborian Kingdoms, destroying Gunderland, hewing their way through the Pictish hosts to defeat the Nordic-Nemedians, and sacking some of their cities on the way, then went eastward, defeating a Hyrkanian army on the borders of Brythunia. Finally, they continued southeastward, destroyed Turan, and settled by the inland sea.
Points of Interest
From north to south:
- Maze at the northernmost edge - Dwelling of Cephalon; former dwelling of a dead race
- Z'harr H'runn
- Isle of the Gods
- Isle of Iron Statues
- Zhurazi Archipelago
- Isle of Xapur
Ports on the Vilayet included Turanian cities on the western shore such as Shahpur, Maypur, Sultanapur, Khawarizm, and Aghrapur (the most important, and the capital city of Turan). On the eastern shore were Khorusun, Rhamdan, and the pirate stronghold Onagrul.
- 35 Appearances of Vilayet Sea
- 3 Minor Appearances of Vilayet Sea
- 46 Media Vilayet Sea was Mentioned in
- 2 Images featuring Vilayet Sea
- Location Gallery: Vilayet Sea
- 7 locations in Vilayet Sea
Links and References
- Savage Sword of Conan #35; A Gazetteer of the Hyborian Age, Part IV: Ilbars River' entry
- Savage Sword of Conan #39; A Gazetteer of the Hyborian Age, Part VII: Vilayet Sea's entry
- Savage Sword of Conan #35; A Gazetteer of the Hyborian Age, Part IV: Ilbars Mountains' entry
- Conan the Barbarian #17; The Gods of Bal-Sagoth
- Savage Sword of Conan #17; The Hyborian Age: The Darkness... and the Dawn
- Conan the Adventurer #14
- Conan the Barbarian #19
- King Conan #7
- Savage Sword of Conan #15
- Map in Handbook of the Conan Universe #1 and Conan Saga #1
- Handbook of the Conan Universe #1; Turan's entry