The series has Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany reprising their roles as Wanda Maximoff and Vision, respectively; and the character of Monica Rambeau, returning as an adult from the film Captain Marvel, portrayed by Teyonah Parris.
WandaVision was originally slated to follow after the release of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier on Disney+. However, production delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic held back the latter's release, making WandaVision Marvel Studios' premier series on Disney+.
On November 12th 2020, it was announced that the series would debut on January 15, 2021. The series premiered on that date with its first two episodes, which made it the Marvel Studios property that officially began Phase Four of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
After the series finale aired in March 2021, series director Matt Shakman revealed that Marvel Studios initially planned on having the first three episodes premiere simultaneously on Disney+ but the third episode was delayed to the following week due to COVID-19 pandemic affecting production on the finale. Delaying the episode allowed the crew an extra week to work on the finale, which was only finished two weeks prior to when it aired.
- An appearance by Doctor Strange was contemplated for the show. According to head writer Jac Schaeffer, the in-universe commercials were going to be messages from Strange to Wanda Maximoff, and there were also talks of having Cumberbatch appear in one of the ads. Strange's appearance was scrapped since it would have taken away from Wanda, according to Kevin Feige.
Links and References
- Marvel (20 July 2019). SDCC 2019: Marvel Studios' 'WandaVision' on Disney+ Details Revealed at Hall H. Marvel.com. Retrieved on 21 July 2019.
- Marvel (21 July 2019). SDCC 2019: All of the Marvel Studios News Coming Out of Hall H at San Diego Comic-Con. Marvel.com. Retrieved on 21 July 2019.
- Barnhardt, Adam (20 September 2020). Marvel Studios Confirms WandaVision As Studio's First Television Series. ComicBook.com. Retrieved on 21 September 2020.
- Disney+ (12 November 2020). A new era arrives. @MarvelStudios’ #WandaVision, an Original Series, is streaming Jan. 15 on #DisneyPlus.. Twitter. Retrieved on 12 November 2020.
- Smith, Kevin (08 March 2021). *SPOILERS* WandaVision Finale & Special Guest MATT SHAKMAN!! FMB 3/7/21. Youtube. Retrieved on 09 March 2021.
- Hiatt, Brian (3 May 2021). How Benedict Cumberbatch’s Dr. Strange Almost Appeared in ‘WandaVision’. RollingStone. Retrieved on 5 May 2021.