On June 17th, 1972, men broke into the Democratic National Committee headquarters at the Watergate Hotel in Washington, D.C.. President Richard Nixon's administration attempted to cover up their involvement. 
The same year President Nixon threatened to shut down the First Line, a team of superheroes that were sponsored by the US government at the time. In response, First Line leader Effigy became the secret informant known as "Deep Throat".
After the men were caught by the investigation of journalist Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein who were tipped off by the informant named "Deep Throat". This lead to the eventual resignation of President Nixon.
- In Captain America #175, the tale of a high ranking government official involved in a villainous plot closely paralleled the timeline of Richard Nixon's Watergate scandal, so much so that the letters page attempted to distance itself from that ongoing scandal by noting the plot line started development a year prior in Captain America #163. According to writer, Steve Englehart, his intention was for Number #1 to be then president Richard Nixon.
- In the alternate future of Earth-691; Jonathan Raven finds the missing Nixon tapes with connection to the Watergate scandal. This key piece of evidence would stay hidden in the White House basement for almost fifty years.
- No trivia.
- Media "Watergate Scandal" was Mentioned in
- Images showing "Watergate Scandal"
- Event Gallery: Watergate Scandal