Appearing in "Final Sanction"
- Calypso (Calypso Ezili) (Corpse)
- Ashley Kafka
- Mr. Reynard (First appearance)
- Martha Connors
- Billy Connors
- The Pipers (Only appearance)
- Donna (Only appearance; dies)
- Cass (Only appearance; dies)
- Roger (Only appearance; dies)
- Jack (Only appearance; dies)
Races and Species:
- New York
Synopsis for "Final Sanction"
After escaping from the Vault, the Lizard happens upon a couple who has stalled out on the highway. They are being terrorized by a biker gang calling themselves the Pipers. As the Lizard attacks the bikers, Doctor Ashley Kafka objects to Mister Raynard for using Gray Garrison -- AKA the bounty-hunter Warrant -- to apprehend the Lizard. Kafka fears that Warrant is too much of a loose cannon to stop the Lizard without killing him. Kafka also wonders why she was brought to Colorado from New York when Raynard already has his operative picked out. Raynard points out that Kafka has had the most experience with the Lizard since his recent capture.[Continuity 1] She warns them that the Lizard is its most dangerous when it is cornered, reminding them that Curt Connors is as much a victim of the Lizard as anyone else. Raynard assures her that once they are done, Lizard will never victimize anyone ever again. By this point, the Lizard has murdered all the bikers in front of the horrified couple. They manage to get their car started and flee the scene, unaware that the Lizard has hitched a ride on the undercarriage of their car. At that time, Raynard shows Doctor Kafka the remains of Calypso, who was murdered after attempting to break the Lizard out of the Vault.[Continuity 2] This is so Warrant can get a look at the Lizard's victim to get a personal feel for his prey. Warrant makes it known that he intends to bring the Lizard back dead, much to the disgust of Doctor Kafka.
While in New York City, Peter Parker has arrived at the Daily Bugle to look for some photo work. Unfortunately, he comes at a time that J. Jonah Jameson is arguing with Joe Robertson over the expose on Project: Sandstorm because it made his wife Marla Madison look bad.[Continuity 3] Peter debates interrupting anyway because he needs the money to put on the mortgage of his new brownstone apartment.[Continuity 4] However, this argument doesn't dissuade Betty Brant from interrupting with her latest bunch of leads. Still standing outside the office, Peter catches a United Press bulletin about the Lizard's escape.[Continuity 5] Rushing to the roof of the Daily Bugle, Peter changes into Spider-Man and swings off. Although the Lizard could be anywhere in the country, the wall-crawler has a good idea who he may go after next. Meanwhile, a plane flies over the state of Kansas carrying Raynard, Warrant and Doctor Kafka. While Raynard and Warrant plan out their strategy, Kafka is satisfied that she was at least able to leak the story before Warrant can begin his hunt.[Continuity 6] While in Texas, the car that the Lizard had hitched a ride on has crashed. This crash is found by a pair of long-haul truckers who are unaware that the Lizard slips onto their truck as they call in the accident.
Later, in New York, Spider-Man is heading to the Connor's home. As he goes, he thinks about his long history with Curt Connors and his alter ego the Lizard.[Continuity 7] As he arrives, he hears Martha Connors scream. This is because she and her son Billy have just saw a news report about the Lizard's escape from the Vault. As Billy comforts his mother, she becomes angry at the pain the Lizard caused their lives and angrily throws a family picture across the room. That's when Spider-Man enters the apartment and offers his aid to the Connors family. He is surprised by how much Billy has grown, and gives the boy one of his spider-tracers. He tells Billy to activate the device should the Lizard come after them. At that same moment, Mary Jane returns home from visiting Aunt May and Peter's parents.[Continuity 8] Home alone, Mary Jane is a little paranoid after she was almost shot by a deranged "Secret Hospital" fan.[Continuity 9] She has also been on edge because she quitting smoking, and has a strong craving.[Continuity 10] She decides to go looking for a pack of cigarettes she had stashed away. When she hears a car horn honk, Mary Jane is frightened. She decides against having a cigarette and hopes her husband Peter gets home soon.[Continuity 11]
Meanwhile, Spider-Man is on his way home, looking forawrd to being with his wife. Unfortunately, his spider-sense begins going off, forcing him to backtrack to the Connors house. Expecting the Lizard, the wall-crawler is surprised to see Warrant threatening the Martha and Billy. Warrant demands to know where Martha's husband is. Spider-Man quckly webs the door shut, but Warrant blasts the door open with miniature missiles. Warrent enters the apartment and uses his weapons to bring the ceiling down on Spider-Man and Martha. With Billy the only person clear of the rubble, Warrant gets an idea. By the time Spider-Man frees himself and Martha from the rubble, they discover that Warrant is gone, and that he took Billy with him. Meanwhile, a long haul truck has crashed on the Mississippi boarder. As a couple drives past, they are unaware that the Lizard has hitched a rid under their vehicle. As they approach Everglades National Park in Florida, the Lizard makes his presence known and murders them.
- The Lizard was last captured in Amazing Spider-Man #365 and was incarcerated in the Vault in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #27.
- Calypso previously enslaved the Lizard in Spider-Man #1–5. She attempted to spring the Lizard last issue but was killed. However, Calypso will cheat death, as seen in Spider-Man Annual #1997.
- The Sandstorm expose was chronicled in Web of Spider-Man #107–108.
- Peter and Mary Jane recently moved into this Brownstone after being evicted from their last home in Spectacular Spider-Man #205.
- This bulletin is depicted as coming in via a fax machine. This should be considered a topical reference per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616 as fax machines are considered an obsolete technology.
- Kafka says she leak this info by "portable fax". Again, this should be considered a topical reference per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616.
- Spider-Man first encounter with Curt Connors and the Lizard happened in Amazing Spider-Man #6.
- The people claiming to be Peter's parents surfaced in Amazing Spider-Man #365. However, they are exposed as impostors in Amazing Spider-Man #388. The real Richard and Mary Parker died two decades prior to this story on a government mission as explained in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #5.
- This fan tried to take a shot at her in Amazing Spider-Man #385.
- Mary Jane started smoking in Amazing Spider-Man #361 as a way of dealing with the stress of Peter being Spider-Man. She decided to quit in Amazing Spider-Man #386 after seeing Nick Katzenberg suffering from terminal cancer.
- Peter and Mary Jane are referred to as husband and wife here. However, years later, their marriage is erased from existence by Mephisto in Amazing Spider-Man #545. As such they should be considered a common-law couple here.
- First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|