The mutant known only as the "White Sword", was one of many mutants who resided on Okkara. When the mutant land was invaded by the Amenthi Daemons, the White Sword and his personal army of One Hundred Champions were sent to Amenth as an advance guard. It is unknown what transpired in the hellish dimension but it resulted in helping the mutants win. However, after the battle, White Sword disappeared and never joined his people again. After the mutants and Arakko (one of Okkara’s separated halves) ended up in Amenth, they found countless crucified Daemons, a proof of the White Sword’s wrath.
As countless years passed, the White Sword and his army kept fighting the endless hordes of daemons, everyday dying only for him to resurrect his army to fight once again. This cycle of death and resurrection drove him mad and alienated him from his people. When Genesis and her army encountered him, he saw them as enemies and showed his former allies no mercy, forcing Genesis and what was left of her army to return defeated to Arakko.
The First Horsemen approached the White Sword and asked him to join them in a tournament on Otherworld. He agreed only after he asked them to beg for him to join. Nonetheless, he decided join them anyway. After winning various challenges against the Krakoa's Champions, during the tournament, White Sword's last battle and the penultimate challenge for the tournament was with Gorgon. Instead of fighting him right away, White Sword decided to summon his one hundred champions for Gorgon to fight before confronting him. However, as Gorgon was killing each of the champions, Saturnyne counted the bodies as additional points for Krakoa making both teams almost even, with Krakoa one point ahead. An infuriated War then begged White Sword to finish Gorgon immediately, but he wasn't rushed by her words. He proceeded to offer Gorgon a chance to get resurrected by the warlord and become a member of his champions, but Gorgon refused, so White Sword finally killed him, ending the match in a tie. After the final challenge in which Annihilation lost to Apocalypse, Annihilation summoned all of Amenth's forces to forcibly conquer Krakoa. However, as the war waged on, White Sword and his army decided to leave since they had only come for a battle and not a war, leaving his teammates behind.
The White Sword is a man of honor, as shown when he used his powers to save Cypher after War accidentally poisoned him. He was a friend and ally to the Mutants of Okkara, but after countless years of endless war and resurrection he lost his mind to battle, ruthlessly slaying not only his enemies, but also those who had considered him a friend. He also seems to hold no sympathy for those he had killed as he won the challenge of rumination endurance.
Powers and Abilities
White Sword is a mutant with the following powers:
- Immortality: White Sword is several thousands of years old.
- Healing: White Sword is a powerful healer capable of fully healing the wounds of numerous others. The White Sword has stated that he is unsure if he can heal or resurrect himself.
- Resurrection: White Sword's healing power is so profound that he can actually resurrect others. For millennia, he has used this power to resurrect his One Hundred Champions every morning so that they can fight the daemons of Amenth to the death again and again.
- Thralldom: When the White Sword heals someone, he also appears to place those healed under his thrall and enlists them into his army unless otherwise specified.
Fencing: White Sword is seemingly a master at sword combat.
- White Sword's Armor: White Sword wore a full-body silver armor with a circular symbol on.
- White Sword's characteristics appear to have been based on the Tarot card of The Emperor.
- It is not clear that he can heal or resurrect himself from death.
- White Sword, along with all the Swordbearers introduced during "X of Swords," was initially envisioned by Jonathan Hickman and designed by Pepe Larraz.
- 10 appearance(s) of White Sword (Earth-616)
- 1 mention(s) of White Sword (Earth-616)
- 21 image(s) of White Sword (Earth-616)
- 1 item(s) used/owned by White Sword (Earth-616)