Appearing in "Spider-Man Forever"
- Ben Parker (Recap)
- May Parker (Recap)
- Spider-Man (Peter Parker) (Recap)
- Baxter Bigelow (Recap)
- The Burglar (Recap)
- Vulture (Recap)
- Mysterio (Recap)
- Kraven the Hunter (Recap)
- Rhino (Recap)
- Doctor Octopus (Recap)
- Green Goblin (Recap)
- J. Jonah Jameson (Recap)
- Gwen Stacy (Recap)
- Mary Jane Watson (Recap)
- Jackal (Recap)
- Venom (Recap)
Synopsis for "Spider-Man Forever"
Ben Reilly sits atop a building brooding in the pouring rain thinking about how his life has gone up to this point.[Continuity 1] He thinks about happy he was growing up as a kid under the name Peter Parker with his Aunt May and Uncle Ben. However, that all changed on the day when the radioactive spider bit him as a teenager. Gaining spider-powers, Ben remembers how he created his web-shooters and Spider-Man costume in order to cash in on these new abilities. It was after a television appearance that Spider-Man refused to stop a crook that his life turned tragic. Later, hie Uncle Ben was murdered and when Spider-Man tracked down the killer he discovered it was the burglar he let get away earlier. Learning that with great power comes great responsibility, young Peter Paker then began using his spider-powers to fight crime.[Continuity 2]
Reilly then thinks about all the villains he fought over the years including the Vulture, Mysterio, Kraven the Hunter, the Rhino, Doctor Octopus and the Green Goblin. None of them beat him until the day the Green Goblin murdered his first true love, Gwen Stacy.[Continuity 3] He never full bounced back by this, and it was Gwen's death that continued to haunt him. Eventually, the Jackal -- deranged by the death of Gwen Stacy, created a clone of Spider-Man to fight him.[Continuity 4] As far as Ben understands it, there was a mix-up, Ben Reilly was thought to be the clone and seemingly perished in battle. His body was dumped in a smokestack and left for dead.[Continuity 5] However, he survived and thinking himself to be the clone of Peter Parker, Ben Reilly changed his name and left New York to start a new life.[Continuity 6] Over the next five years, the man that is now known as Peter Parker lived his life and went on to marry Mary Jane.[Continuity 7]
Learning that Aunt May is dying, Ben Reilly return to New York City where his life too yet another twist.[Continuity 8] He reconnected with Peter Parker and later became the Scarlet Spider.[Continuity 9] That's when the Jackal resurfaced and turn their lives upside down once again.[Continuity 10] After a series of tests, Ben was told he was the original Spider-Man and Peter Parker was actually the clone.[Continuity 11] With Peter Parker retired as Spider-Man, Ben knows that the world still needs a hero and decides that, now and forever, he will be Spider-Man.[Continuity 12]
- This story has multiple references as to how Ben Reilly is the real Spider-Man and how Peter Parker was a clone. This was told to Reilly in Spectacular Spider-Man #226. However, this was a deception orchestrated by the Green Goblin as revealed in Osborne Journals #1.
- Spider-Man's origins and the death of his Uncle Ben were chronicled in Amazing Fantasy #15.
- Gwen Stacy was murdered by the Green Goblin in Amazing Spider-Man #121.
- The Jackal's first revenge scheme against Spider-Man occurred in Amazing Spider-Man #142-149.
- Peter Parker disposed of his clone's body in Amazing Spider-Man #151.
- Ben's discovery that he was a clone was depicted in The Parker Legacy event.
The Parker Legacy Amazing Spider-Man #400 Spider-Man #57 Spectacular Spider-Man #223
- Peter and Mary Jane are referred to as husband and wife here. However, years later, their marriage is erased from existence by Mephisto in Amazing Spider-Man #545. As such they should be considered a common-law couple here.
- Ben Reilly resurfaced in Web of Spider-Man #115. Aunt May suffered a stroke around this time in Amazing Spider-Man #391. At the time of this story everyone believed Aunt May died in Amazing Spider-Man #400. This woman is actually an impostor as revealed in Spider-Man #97.
- Peter and Ben were reunited in Web of Spider-Man #117. Reilly became the Scarlet Spider during the Web of Life story arc.
Web of Life Web of Spider-Man #120 Spider-Man #54 Web of Spider-Man #121 Spider-Man #55
- The Jackal returned during the Smoke and Mirrors story arc.
Smoke and Mirrors Web of Spider-Man #122 Amazing Spider-Man #399 Spider-Man #56 Spider-Man The Clone Journal #1
- This deception was revealed in Spectacular Spider-Man #226.
- Peter Parker retired as Spider-Man in Spectacular Spider-Man #229.
- This Mini-Comic was published by Wizard Magazine in conjunction with Marvel Comics. It was bagged with Wizard: The Comics Magazine #52.