The World Security Council is an international organization based around ideals of maintaining global security and fostering world peace. They are positioned above S.H.I.E.L.D.
Following Loki's theft of the Tesseract, S.H.I.E.L.D. director Nicholas Fury convened with the Council, clarifying that Loki had acted on his own, independent of Asgard and that Loki's step-brother Thor was not hostile. The Council suggested that he move to Phase Two of developing Tesseract-powered weaponry, but he insisted that they were not ready. Instead, he suggested reactivating the Avengers Initiative, to which the Council offered reservations, not sharing his faith in a small team of super-humans.
During the Chitauri invasion of New York City, the council ordered the deployment of a nuclear missile to the area as a last resort to stop the invading force. This plan was delayed when Fury ignored it, then thwarted between the actions of Fury disabling one fighter jet with a nuclear payload, and Iron Man intercepting the missile of another.
In the aftermath of the crisis, they argued with Fury over releasing the Tesseract and Loki back to Asgard, and of letting the Avengers go into the world, but ultimately adjourned the debate.
The revolving roster's membership came to include Alexander Pierce, who had taken a leading hand in expanding S.H.I.E.L.D.'s combat capabilities. Pierce had a singular vision to dramatically enhance S.H.I.E.L.D.'s air superiority with three new helicarriers, and with construction complete, invited the others to Washington, D.C. to witness their maiden flight.
The invitation was a ruse however, designed purely to lure the World Security Council into a trap as Hydra- who had been secretly manipulating S.H.I.E.L.D. since its creation- sought to go public with their true agenda. When soldiers under his command stormed their meeting to hold the council hostage after the rest of the Council denounced Pierce's methods, each refusing to hand power over to Hydra, Councilwoman Hawley reacted with violence and quickly assumed control. She then dropped her holographic disguise revealing herself to be Natasha Romanoff, the Black Widow. Director Fury was next on the scene, intending to expose Hydra's involvement with S.H.I.E.L.D., but Pierce still had a fall back plan in play. The name badges that he had supplied to the World Security Council were loaded with super hot flare charges, three of which he triggered to eliminate the remaining councilmen present.
Equipment: The members of the council use advanced video conferencing equipment to maintain contact with each other and S.H.I.E.L.D. from their respective locations around the world.
- Powers Boothe, Jenny Agutter, Arthur Darbinyan and Donald Li portray the unnamed members of the Security Council in Marvel's The Avengers. Robert Redford, Chin Han, Bernard White, and Alan Dale portray World Security Councilman Alexander Pierce, World Security Councilman Yen, Indian Councilman Nagendra Singh, and Councilman Rockwell respectively, and Jenny Agutter returns for her role, named as Councilwoman Hawley, in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Powers Boothe reprised his role, now identified by name as Gideon Malick, in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episodes "Among Us Hide...", "Chaos Theory", and "Many Heads, One Tale".
- 7 World Security Council (Earth-199999) Members
- 9 Appearances of World Security Council (Earth-199999)
- Minor Appearances of World Security Council (Earth-199999)
- 4 Media World Security Council (Earth-199999) was Mentioned in
- 2 Images that include World Security Council (Earth-199999)
- Team Gallery: World Security Council (Earth-199999)