- So, what do we call ourselves? The Fantastic Six? X-4?
- -- Nightcrawler
Appearing in "Chapter 1: First Contact"
- Fantastic Four
Races and Species:
- Space Shuttle Titan
- X-Men Blackbird
Synopsis for "Chapter 1: First Contact"
In Earth orbit, the NASA space station Simulacra has successfully docked a Mars exploration ship. However something isn't right with the ship and amid screams from the space station crew, NASA loses contact with it. Suddenly a massive explosion rocks the Simulacra.
The following morning at the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning, the X-Man known as Wolverine is woken up by the sound of the doorbell ringing. Unhappy about being woken at such an early hour the feral mutant answers the door to find the Fantastic Four greeting him on the doorstep. When the Thing quips about getting some coffee, Wolverine slams the door in their faces. Ben opens the door and asks Logan why he has to act like that, he explains that he doesn't like being woken up early in the morning. When Ben presses the issue he angers Wolverine enough for the feral mutant to attack. The ensuing brawl between the Thing and Wolverine on the lawn attracts the attention of Storm. When the Human Torch tries to explain the situation to her, she suggests that everyone cools down and uses her powers to summon a wind to snuff out the Torch's flames. Johnny is catched by Nightcrawler who teleports on the scene, but now Johnny is mad and flames on to fight Storm as well. Finally the battle is stopped by the telepathic commands of Emma Frost. She then invites the Fantastic Four to discuss the issue in the parlour.
In the parlour the Fantastic Four explain that they wished to make a personal visit and that they hoped to speak with Charles Xavier about the situation. After learning that Cyclops and Emma now run the school Reed runs them through the problem with the Simulacra. Reed then asks if they can use Cerebra to scan for any survivors as something blocks other scans from detecting the cause of the disaster. After learning the technical limitations of Cerebra, it is suggestsed that they get a telepath close enough to the space station to scan for signs of life. Emma protests at this idea but Cyclops appeals to her by pointing out the astronauts that are in peril and their families on Earth that deserve to have them come home.
The X-Men offer up the use of their Blackbird jet which is capable of space flight after some modification thanks to the Shi'ar technology within. However it can only seat six people on board. After some consideration it is decided that the Thing and Invisible Woman of the Fantastic Four and Emma Frost, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and Gambit of the X-Men will go on the mission. Soon the Blackbird takes off and after an uneasy flight they arrive at the space station and dock to it. Using her telepathic powers, Emma detects that there are at least six survivors and that they are terrified. The group proceeds to the air lock with caution. When they open the doors they find an army of Brood waiting for them on the other side.
- The X-Men and the Fantastic Four team up with the help of Pat Lee and Dreamwave Studios in this heart-pounding limited series!
- Can the X-Men and the Fantastic Four put their differences aside to stop a creeping menace from outer space that threatens our planet's very existence?!
- Join megawatt creator Pat Lee and writer Akira Yoshida (THOR: SON OF ASGARD) for mutant meyham and fantastic fights!
- Ben Grimm refers to Logan as an "old friend". They had met decades earlier before either were super-heroes as seen in Wolverine Vol 2 #-1 and went on a mission together shortly thereafter, as seen in Before the Fantastic Four: Ben Grimm and Logan #1–3.
- The X-Men mention that Charles Xavier is no longer in charge of the Xavier Institute. Xavier left the X-Men to help rebuild Genosha in Uncanny X-Men #442–443, leaving Cyclops and Emma to run the school, as seen in New X-Men #155–156.
- It is mentioned that the X-Men have access to Shi'ar technology. The group has had access to this technology as early as Uncanny X-Men #163.
- Mention is made of the relationship between Cyclops and Emma Frost. The pair started an affair in New X-Men #131. When Scott's wife Jean Grey later died in New X-Men #150 they began a full on relationship in New X-Men #154, much to the chagrin of the rest of the team.
- Emma mentions the Sub-Mariner, who has lusted over the Invisible Woman since he first met her back in Fantastic Four #4.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss X-Men / Fantastic Four Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Images from X-Men / Fantastic Four Vol 1 1
|Like this? Let us know!|